• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

miran

Reaction score

Sorry, that polo looks horrible and is not flattering with your body type. i.e it accentuates your gut, love handles, and moobs.
I once worked a store that carried Smedley and its basically stuff for old men who think expensive = looks good. It's cut horribly and not very stylish, imo. The knits are excellent quality wise, but don't look good worn.

What store was this that carried Smedley? The fabric (sea island cotton in my case) is the softest **** I have ever felt...softer than any cashmere...plus the shirt weighs like a feather!

Were these old men once 60s mod types who wore Smedley then when it was the in-thing, and are old men now? Curious, coz I am 30 but still obsessed with this company. Like you said, their quality is top-notch. They pride themselves in that everything from the raw cotton (or wool) spinning, knitting and finishing all happens in England. They ran at a massive loss in 2002, 2003, and 2004. In 2004, they brought in consultants, who told them to outsource or perish. They refused. They cited that outsourcing would only make their clothes 8% cheaper. They changed management. I think they were hit again by the 2008-9 disaster. Not sure if you know much about finance, but in 1985, they were the first company in the world to use a futures contract...and they used it in the way it was meant to be used, to avert risk. They basically had a futures with a cooperative of New Zealand merino wool farmers, and fixed on a price for the following season. They have done this ever since. This way at least, they are not totally at the mercy of the market. Futures have since gone to hell and abused left right and center and partially responsible for disasters in the recent crisis (RyanAir, etc.). Their story is like a one-family struggle to keep traditions and quality alive in the face of monsters like JCrew and GAP.

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
too much **** on mirror

rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

closeups plz :slayer: how do u like them comfort/quality-wise? mr hare is one of those brands that's really grown on me in the past couple months

http://i.imgur.com/4B92hh.jpg

every pair of mr hare i've handled has had pretty damn solid (ie very good) construction. these particular ones are a little more delicate as per the nature of the leather used...creeper sole is pretty tough, though. just gotta be careful when dancing in fishskin shoes in dingy joints...people step on yo feet

miran

Reaction score

That polo looks bad on you.
I have nothing against the brand, but now I start to dislike it.
:uhoh::violin:

I think you have taste and style and I think you want to buy a John Smedley garment. You should! You will wear something with a 100% clean conscience...the same **** worn by Swiss bankers and English aristos...and nothing is better than that! and no, i don't mean clean conscience like woven out of hemp by Hippies at the Wall Street protest...i mean clean conscience by Styleforum standards.

Last edited:

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I think you have taste and style and I think you want to buy a John Smedley garment. You should! You will wear something with a 100% clean conscience...and nothing is better than that!

I was thinking for a while now that you worked for them (probably in accounting or something) but these last 2 posts have just about confirmed that for me hahaha

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you have taste and style and I think you want to buy a John Smedley garment. You should! You will wear something with a 100% clean conscience...the same **** worn by Swiss bankers and English aristos...and nothing is better than that! and no, i don't mean clean conscience like woven out of hemp by Hippies at the Wall Street protest...i mean clean conscience by Styleforum standards.

Are you a virgin?

miran

Reaction score

I was thinking for a while now that you worked for them (probably in accounting or something) but these last 2 posts have just about confirmed that for me hahaha

No, I haven't worked for them, I dont' live in England. I am just promoting something I believe in.
Smedley only hires English workers also, not illegals for cheaper like in the other manual industries in England (construction, cleaning, etc).

miran

Reaction score

Stop.
and ****

I can't stop it! Only YOU have the power to stop it! It's the beating of your guilty heart...Thump thump! thump thump!

Your polo by Ralph Lauren. Made in sweatshops in Vietnam. By 10-year-old little girls who should be in school. Instead they have blisters on their bleeding thumbs. They can't even see their families. 120 hour weeks. Paid 8 cents a day. They spin and sew cotton grown in Niger, where the farmer was paid 2.6 cents per kilogram. But then the price dropped on the world market because the recession came. And the farmer was kicked off his land which was used to grow vegetables for export to Europe so the landlord can get a profit.
How can a polo have good fabric if it's spun by an unskilled 10 year old girl? How can the fabric feel soft if it's handled by blistered and overworked fingers? Who cares if the fit is perfect and it's only $30 (sale down from $109)?

Thump thump.....Thump thump....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads