• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, pants are really dope.

thanks fuuma...so should i take on an illegal DIY project :devil:

waywt habitat for humanity edition. i'm in the orange t-shirt.

holy ****, they def filmed the wire there. did you find any stash houses (0) ?!?

boots are awesome thatgirl. its nice to see them being rocked with other stuff than rick on rick on rick (even tho mdb does it really well)
iirc there was a fit that begged for heels and you said something about walking to much/not worth it...what changed your mind (for the better)? :nodding:

Last edited:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMG_0819.jpg

helmut lang sweater
alternative apparel drapey tank thing (whatever you want to call it)
splendid leggings
my new rick boots
philip lim 3.1 bag

just got these boots, am officially obsessed with them. what do you think, am i wearing them right?

I think the overall look is quite nice actually, but in my opinion, the boots could be worn better with thicker pants (dark/black jeans with some stacking or leather pants or some more substantial/loose fabric pants). Cropped pants could work too.

The leggings leave way too much space in the mouth of the boots for my taste.

Also, maybe I am just saying this cos I know the boots are Rick, but I somehow feel the bag could do with being black as well. Great shape though!

miran

Reaction score

Nothing special today, just my average teaching get-up. Although it involves a nod to the whole jackets and ties thing, it really doesn't go in MC at all - no pretense at tailoring involved! - and I guess it's pretty much in line with the current denim revivalism thing. Again, picture quality is dire and makes everthing look a lot bluer than it is - but until I find my digital camera this is what I've got...

Details:
Shirt - JCrew small blue gingham
Vest - Old Town Harris Tweed
Tie - unbranded tweed
Jeans - Naked and Famous Slim Guy Nep Selvedge
Socks - Paul Smith
Shoes - La Natura Lista
Alright, I shall attempt to critique your threads. THe shirt is JCrew. I would conclude that is blasphemy around here, enough to get you banned. Do not repeat it. Sleeves are too long, hence the bunching over your forearms. Good neck fit though. Now, you cannot have a cake and eat it too--you cannot wear a tweed tie and a tweed vest/waistcoat/westcut. I would suggest a cloth skinny tie. Also, tie is too chunky and fails to compliment the vest. And now, the vest. The biggest disaster of them all. Waistcoats must be fitted, yours is too loose. Tighten with the cloth strap and buckle at the back. Also, I would refrain from leaving the bottom-most button of your vest unbuttoned, unless its is clearly part of a 3-piece suit....with or without..nay, avec ou sans jacket. At the very least, to leave unbuttoned, pants and vest must be from a matching suit. Your vest is too loose around your gut. Also too short. An altogether poor fit makes it unseemly. I have no qualms with the jeans. The shoes are blah. I have not heard of that brand. The seriously cacophonous pell-mell of mismatched garments gives you a seriously hipster vibe, which I think goes down well for you. I assume you intending the clashing in your threads to reflect on the clashing going on in your mind. If you weren't aiming for the hipster look, nothing works.

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Getting kinda chilly. Apologies for the messy dorm room -- will clean next time. I just decided to snap a quick picture before heading out. :)

P1030484.jpg

J. Crew
Ervell
Epaulet (no vis)
Epaulet
Happy Socks (no vis)
Alden
Porter (no vis)

I wish I had a few baller knits, but I'm not careful enough with my clothes to keep them from getting fucked up on campus... and I can't afford to keep replenishing them as a income-less college student.

I like this, looks like something I'd wear. The Alden's are especially nice. Where do you go to school?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank-you, I agree a lot, if not most, of that. As I said, this wasn't a look I made any particular effort with, I was just interested in what people thought of my 'baseline' if you like. I was trying something with the tweeds, it didn't work. Yes, cloth tie would be much better. Shoes are blah - yes, nothing special, beaten up old things that are good for riding the folding bike to work. Shirt sleeve length is a general issue for me - if it was an expensive shirt, I'd have had them tailored but as it was just bought on sale JCrew, I really didn't think it was worth it (I know that's not going to make me a lot of friends around here!). The waistcoat is not a dress style, it's a modern take on early C20th working man's style so, not quite so fitted was the norm - take a look at http://www.old-town.co.uk/ for the kind of thing. I appreciate that it's not what people expect today, but that's why I like it - and in terms of 'period' it goes with the style of jeans more than a modern fitted waistcoat would. But overall, yes, the mix-and-match is intentional, but it's got nothing to do with 'hipster' although hipsters may indeed dress like this - I wouldn't know, we don't see many around these parts.
smile.gif

Alright, I shall attempt to critique your threads.

THe shirt is JCrew. I would conclude that is blasphemy around here, enough to get you banned. Do not repeat it. Sleeves are too long, hence the bunching over your forearms. Good neck fit though.

Now, you cannot have a cake and eat it too--you cannot wear a tweed tie and a tweed vest/waistcoat/westcut. I would suggest a cloth skinny tie. Also, tie is too chunky and fails to compliment the vest.

And now, the vest. The biggest disaster of them all. Waistcoats must be fitted, yours is too loose. Tighten with the cloth strap and buckle at the back. Also, I would refrain from leaving the bottom-most button of your vest unbuttoned, unless its is clearly part of a 3-piece suit....with or without..nay, avec ou sans jacket. At the very least, to leave unbuttoned, pants and vest must be from a matching suit.
Your vest is too loose around your gut. Also too short. An altogether poor fit makes it unseemly.

I have no qualms with the jeans. The shoes are blah. I have not heard of that brand.

The seriously cacophonous pell-mell of mismatched garments gives you a seriously hipster vibe, which I think goes down well for you. If you weren't aiming for the hipster look, nothing works.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
You are young.

You wear a vest.

You bike to work.

You have a beard.

You, sir, are a hipster.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doesn't the thigh measure like 9-10" on those? :uhoh:

I don't think so I've never measured them though. I think they're pretty baggy personally. Much looser then me APC PS. They're what I was wearing in my last WAYWT photo and I thought they looked pretty loose.

Binker

Reaction score
fit33-1.jpg

shirt is dries, tried to stand sideways and capture the detailing but it didn't work out

better pic of shirt

miran

Reaction score

The waistcoat is not a dress style, it's a modern take on early C20th working man's style so, not quite so fitted was the norm - take a look at http://www.old-town.co.uk/ for the kind of thing. I appreciate that it's not what people expect today, but that's why I like it - and in terms of 'period'>
Yes, but only old grizzled farts wore waistcoats like that in the period you are referring to. Think Tinker from the Lovejoy series, if you've seen it...with an oversized tweed beret... Otherwise, the waistcoat was fitted, and the sleeves rolled up...ready to shovel coke into the boiler or to dissect a corpse....

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
nice, thatgirl. I love that the boots aren't black :foo:

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMG_0819.jpg

helmut lang sweater
alternative apparel drapey tank thing (whatever you want to call it)
splendid leggings
my new rick boots
philip lim 3.1 bag

just got these boots, am officially obsessed with them. what do you think, am i wearing them right?

I agree with ivwri about there being too much space at the mouth of the boot, but overall I like it.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I agree with ivwri about there being too much space at the mouth of the boot, but overall I like it.

isn't that completely intentional on boots like that? To have a lot of space?

and they make girls calves look smaller

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
biggrin.gif
Most amusing! This is really the first time anyone has ever called me a hipster. I can assure you, sir, that it is merely a trick of synchronicity. I was doing all this before hipsters existed and I intend to be doing it long after they are gone (and I'm really not as young as I look - think 40ish).
You are young.

You wear a vest.

You bike to work.

You have a beard.

You, sir, are a hipster.

And Miran, yes, point taken. I still like it, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads