The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

thanks fuuma...so should i take on an illegal DIY project :devil:

holy shit, they def filmed the wire there. did you find any stash houses (0) ?!?

boots are awesome thatgirl. its nice to see them being rocked with other stuff than rick on rick on rick (even tho mdb does it really well)
    iirc there was a fit that begged for heels and you said something about walking to much/not worth it...what changed your mind (for the better)? :nodding:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I think the overall look is quite nice actually, but in my opinion, the boots could be worn better with thicker pants (dark/black jeans with some stacking or leather pants or some more substantial/loose fabric pants). Cropped pants could work too.

The leggings leave way too much space in the mouth of the boots for my taste.

Also, maybe I am just saying this cos I know the boots are Rick, but I somehow feel the bag could do with being black as well. Great shape though!

3. miran

miran Senior member

Alright, I shall attempt to critique your threads. THe shirt is JCrew. I would conclude that is blasphemy around here, enough to get you banned. Do not repeat it. Sleeves are too long, hence the bunching over your forearms. Good neck fit though. Now, you cannot have a cake and eat it too--you cannot wear a tweed tie and a tweed vest/waistcoat/westcut. I would suggest a cloth skinny tie. Also, tie is too chunky and fails to compliment the vest. And now, the vest. The biggest disaster of them all. Waistcoats must be fitted, yours is too loose. Tighten with the cloth strap and buckle at the back. Also, I would refrain from leaving the bottom-most button of your vest unbuttoned, unless its is clearly part of a 3-piece suit....with or without..nay, avec ou sans jacket. At the very least, to leave unbuttoned, pants and vest must be from a matching suit. Your vest is too loose around your gut. Also too short. An altogether poor fit makes it unseemly. I have no qualms with the jeans. The shoes are blah. I have not heard of that brand. The seriously cacophonous pell-mell of mismatched garments gives you a seriously hipster vibe, which I think goes down well for you. I assume you intending the clashing in your threads to reflect on the clashing going on in your mind. If you weren't aiming for the hipster look, nothing works.

4. dmash

dmash Senior member

Doesn't the thigh measure like 9-10" on those? :uhoh:

5. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

I like this, looks like something I'd wear. The Alden's are especially nice. Where do you go to school?

6. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Thank-you, I agree a lot, if not most, of that. As I said, this wasn't a look I made any particular effort with, I was just interested in what people thought of my 'baseline' if you like. I was trying something with the tweeds, it didn't work. Yes, cloth tie would be much better. Shoes are blah - yes, nothing special, beaten up old things that are good for riding the folding bike to work. Shirt sleeve length is a general issue for me - if it was an expensive shirt, I'd have had them tailored but as it was just bought on sale JCrew, I really didn't think it was worth it (I know that's not going to make me a lot of friends around here!). The waistcoat is not a dress style, it's a modern take on early C20th working man's style so, not quite so fitted was the norm - take a look at http://www.old-town.co.uk/ for the kind of thing. I appreciate that it's not what people expect today, but that's why I like it - and in terms of 'period' it goes with the style of jeans more than a modern fitted waistcoat would. But overall, yes, the mix-and-match is intentional, but it's got nothing to do with 'hipster' although hipsters may indeed dress like this - I wouldn't know, we don't see many around these parts. [​IMG]

7. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

You are young.

You wear a vest.

You bike to work.

You have a beard.

You, sir, are a hipster.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't think so I've never measured them though. I think they're pretty baggy personally. Much looser then me APC PS. They're what I was wearing in my last WAYWT photo and I thought they looked pretty loose.

9. Binker

Binker Senior member

[​IMG]

shirt is dries, tried to stand sideways and capture the detailing but it didn't work out

better pic of shirt

10. miran

miran Senior member

Yes, but only old grizzled farts wore waistcoats like that in the period you are referring to. Think Tinker from the Lovejoy series, if you've seen it...with an oversized tweed beret... Otherwise, the waistcoat was fitted, and the sleeves rolled up...ready to shovel coke into the boiler or to dissect a corpse....

11. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

nice, thatgirl. I love that the boots aren't black :foo:

12. snake

snake Senior member

I agree with ivwri about there being too much space at the mouth of the boot, but overall I like it.

13. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

isn't that completely intentional on boots like that? To have a lot of space?

and they make girls calves look smaller

14. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

[​IMG] Most amusing! This is really the first time anyone has ever called me a hipster. I can assure you, sir, that it is merely a trick of synchronicity. I was doing all this before hipsters existed and I intend to be doing it long after they are gone (and I'm really not as young as I look - think 40ish).

And Miran, yes, point taken. I still like it, though.

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

miran seems like kind of a dope

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.