The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APK

APK Senior member

I've put maybe four or five people on ignore in the three years I've been on here. Miran is one of them, though I did it so long ago that I can't even remember why. But based on the shit you people keep quoting (btw, stop it), I know my judgment wasn't misguided.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

if people could stop feeding or at least stop quoting the oblivious troll that would be great. thanks

3. miran

miran Senior member

Thanks for the tip--i'll see if they have BOO...does Tres Bien shop have it....
    you are bang on the money with the old-man in the clubhouse fit not working if you are even a tiny bit overweight.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

4. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

The main problem with polos is that in 99% of cases, a regular shirt would look better.

It should also be said that this forum may be called styleforum, but it's just as much about natural looks as clothing. If you're fat, or otherwise in bad shape or just plain ugly, you won't be getting much positive feedback here almost no matter what you're wearing. The people posting fits might be doing it to to get feedback or just to show off, but most of the other posters or readers are just here to see good fits and are naturally annoyed every time somebody posts something that doesn't look good for some reason or another.

Really, half this thread is just some variation of "holy shit that's ugly" and the following discussion/flame wars. It's best to just post a fit, read the feedback and then decide on your own if you want to take it to heart or not. Try not to reply and definately don't defend yourself/your fit. That just makes you look pathetic and spawns the page long flame wars we often see in here.

Harsh truth: If you're fat and don't plan on changing it, you would probably be better served finding a different forum to post in. I'm sure there must be some fashion/clothes forums out there for overweight people, where you might get some feedback based on what you're wearing and not just how you look (which will be the basis of all feedback you get here while you're fat).

5. 1up

1up Senior member

/discussion about polo

6. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

I think you misinterpreted what I said about being overweight. I said you can't pull off BoO overweight, and that the old clubhouse dude look never looks good. I'm not trying to be a dick here, just to save you another $150. I also said multiple times the ones I like are no longer made. Oh well. They do have a current line of made in Italy that are decent - check their website or just search for it. For the old ones, check eBay, but I must warn you they fit super slim and are not going to flatter your frame. You'd probably have to wear a full size larger or two sizes larger than you normally do. I'm just being brutally honest, no polo is going to look good on you unless you lose some weight. Definitely not BoO

7. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

I suppose I should also say that what I just said doesn't mean you should feel bad about being yourself or anything. Esthetical preferences (fat vs. skinny) are subjective and very much subject to changes in society. It's even more true that subcultures have their own specialized preferences and standards. Just because the subculture on this forum has a narrow view of what looks good (which is basically young adult male in good physical shape, reasonably handsome and wearing expensive clothes that fit "well"), doesn't mean that you have to change your views and/or body to fit with that standard. If you want to; great, do it and post fits afterwards. Otherwise it's better to just say "fuck that shit" and go hang out with people who are more like yourself.

I generally agree with the "SF hivemind", which is why I read these forums (although both the "consensus" and my preferences have changed considerably the last three years).

8. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

I agree with this. There are clothes larger dudes can pull off well. There are some dudes that post on SuFu that seem to get a lot of positive rep. I'm just telling him he is wearing the wrong clothes for his body type. If you are overweight, in my opinion, you gotta forget about polos. They just aren't going to look good. They look bad on most people who are in shape.

9. BB1

BB1 Senior member

The portly guy + baggy polo shirt is the uniform of the overweight white middle manager. Just add khaki colored pants and you're "career ready", or replace the khakis with jeans for a more youthful sporty look during your time off. Either way your $200 polo with its high quality sea island fabric + collar creates a respectable aura of formality that matches your well earned position in life.

10. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

beenhadpolo

seriously, someone post a fit
    OK

11. markmont

markmont Senior member

[​IMG]

iron heart
    sugar cane
    self edge x imperial 04
    visvim

12. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

cool

13. MartinLil

MartinLil Senior member

Take an anthropology course or ten before you start using the term "subculture" to describe SF. To say SF is a subculture shows that either a) you misunderstand the jargon and/or are unable to use it properly OR b) the word is indeed a part of your lexicon but is merely one that you can recall and nothing more. It's pretty obvious that salience does not always equal knowledge.

/cognitive anthropology rant.

14. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

15. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Everybody shut the fuck up, or take this discussion to a different thread. This is not the discuss my polo thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.