The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Najee D.

Najee D. Senior member

I thought this was cool, looks like something I would wear in the fall, w/some changes

Yeah, that's normally a fall thing, but it was a whopping 48 degrees here in Chicago (and it'll be 90+ tomorrow, literally). Could've definitely used a different pair of stomps, though.

2. cxbxw

cxbxw Well-Known Member

3. Stoppy

Stoppy Member

4. Fluery

Fluery Senior member

Jwied that looks awesome - I think one my favorites from you. I disagree with Aeglus about the untucked shirt...I actually don't think it would look as cool tucked.

5. BB1

BB1 Senior member

graphic: you buy all the sf approved things it seems but you wear it all wrong (constructive criticism)

Perhaps his fits would be better if he did NOT slavishly buy sf approved stuff? Your impression that he "wears it wrong" is likely due more to him wearing brands/pieces that don't match his personality and physique as opposed to poor skills at pairing and wearing his clothes.

I am reminded of how awful snake looked wearing W+H, then he started wearing Japanese brands and *bamb* his look improved dramatically overnight! Whereas by contrast slack tide looks great wearing W+H.

The practice following the clothing consensus of your peers in an effort to wear so called appropriate and acceptable clothing is responsible for the majority of bad style. And this is every bit as common among peers on this forum as it is among peers in the workplace or school. Just because there are a few more seemingly stylish and outspoken people here in this forum it does not elevate the consensus to some higher level that's stylish and applicable for most people.

Johnh123, you would be styleforum approved if you bought a couple TOJ's. (0). Let me both swag you out and lift you from this self imposed troll kingdom you live in.

See above.

6. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

while I actually kinda agree with you on this I think a lot of gn's shit just doesn't fit very well, he has weird proportions and mediocre photography doesn't help with that. it probably looks a bit better in person but..I dunno

7. Lane

Lane Senior member

I agree with BB1, but I have no clue what graphic would look good in cuz of the blurry pic and cuz his personality is hard to pinpoint.

8. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

photography is probably the major part of it (people tend to look a lot better in person though)

9. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I think this is one of your weakest fits and the jacket doesn't seem to fit all that great in this pic.

I feel snake's fit looks fine. Not his best, but by no means one of his weakest.

Frankly I'm sick of how any fit involving a jacket with lapels is held to a higher standard which must have the perfect shoulder fit, the perfect gap around the neck, and the perfect sleeve length. It's not a formal suit he's wearing and never claimed to be such. I just see it as a casual jacket/layer with some slightly dressier overtones.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Frankly I'm sick of how any fit involving a jacket with lapels is held to a higher standard which must have the perfect shoulder fit, the perfect gap around the neck, and the perfect sleeve length. It's not a formal suit he's wearing and never claimed to be such. I just see it as a casual jacket/layer with some slightly dressier overtones.

This got me curious since I am in the same position, what are the rules or guidelines of wearing suits/blazers casually? I ask because my Prorsum blazer is super nice but the the sleeves are way too long and since it has functional cuffs, it'll be difficult to get it altered from the shoulders. I'm thinking of ways to wear it w/o it looking sloppy. I can imagine the extra long sleeves working with goth-ninja aesthetic but when it crosses the line of being preppy, how can that work?

11. Nil

Nil Senior member

Look at Prorsum's runway shots, most of the blazers/suits shown have elongated sleeves, especially those worn by Christopher Bailey himself.

12. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

RFX, a good tailor can shorten the sleeves from the shoulder.

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

^Take it to my tailor on wilshire no problem with working cuffs he can do it two ways for you.

14. snake

snake Senior member

I feel snake's fit looks fine. Not his best, but by no means one of his weakest.

I think the higher standard is reasonable in a formal setting, but as a casual jacket, I feel there's isn't a need to have that perfect fit. And the jacket I'm wearing is far from traditional (see through linen construction, curved arm seams, snap buttons, ect). To be honest it's one of the best fitting jackets I own as it's incredibly difficult to find one that fits me well.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

RFX, a good tailor can shorten the sleeves from the shoulder.

My tailor charges $120-$140 and I don't trust him with this kind of work, I just haven't seen him do it and I'm not sure I'd want to experiment with this piece.

Look at Prorsum's runway shots, most of the blazers/suits shown have elongated sleeves, especially those worn by Christopher Bailey himself.

Sleeves definitely too long though, not sure I can wear it unaltered. Shoulders might be a tad too wide too.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.