• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
With the SVB aesthetic, it will be very difficult to pull off a fuller, boxier look. His early 60's LA casual thing (or whatever it is) could easily turn into Golf Clubhouse nitwit slobwear meets middle management bis cash networking between flights at the Atlanta airport.

If he wants to go a different route, he may have more options with volume, drape, that sort of thing. But I gather that he isn't into that.

I disagree, but everybody wants to seem to box SVB into continuing to dress like a vis a vis Revenge of the Nerds understudy...

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I disagree, but everybody wants to seem to box SVB into continuing to dress like a vis a vis Revenge of the Nerds understudy...
actually I think everybody wants you to ToJ him

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
He doesn't want to do it, and frankly he is light years from being close to understanding it.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll tell you one positive thing though; I could trust SVB to take my daughter out on a date and not try to creep into my family tree.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you one positive thing though; I could trust SVB to take my daughter out on a date and not try to creep into my family tree.

laugh.gif

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
The problem with baggier/more substantial is that in actual practice, I end up looking like I am swimming in my clothes. The way I figure it, if slim-fit clothing isn't made for someone like me, then who is it for? I have the ability to wear it, so I will. Trying to hide my slimness with baggy clothing is what I did in high school and I looked ridiculous. Luckily it was the late 90s so everyone was doing it.
plain.gif

Well, there is a big margin of fit between your casual stuff and Kris Kross circa "Jump".... i.e., the fit of this suit, which could have been a lot slimmer, but (thankfully IMO) wasn't. Just a thought, no swipe intended.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seems like the beginning of your dress logic, and probably where things all fall apart, tbh.
How so? Coming from a similarly tall and slim guy, I really don't think any other cut of clothing would look nearly as good as all of the slim Epaulet stuff that SVB wears. And what's wrong with looking like a '60's Revenge of the Nerds extra? There's something to be said for finding a style that fits a person, which is a fairly rare occurrence on here, in my opinion. And in no way do I intend that to be a jab at SVB- I think the man looks great.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah I'm with Zissou. SVB comes off as a total square (I mean that in the best way possible) but it works so well for him and he seems completely at home with that look.

I mean he isn't uptight it seems like, just what I'll call a... SoCal Square. if there is such a thing

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SVB looks like the type of dude who sees every single day as a Sunday, does that make any sense? #nomoz

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here's what it is, in a nutshell that I can best express while brushing my teeth before bed; we're in this 200?-2011 era where nobody gives a **** about how you actually look, it's all about picking apart clothes and being vaguely new-American, and being in the focus of a DSLR with a low depth of field while trying to look deep, and looking like you have trendy hobbies and so on and so on- where's the the personal style again? Oh yeah, it's missing, we replaced it with chambray and chino. So you trickle it down about 10 stages and you get to a SVB type, who doesn't really know where to start....

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
anywho.... no need to worry, we have New Balances for the less brave, and we finally found Osama 'the guy who did 9-11' and now we can get back to our normally scheduled programming of interesting clothes made in fine materials that you may indeed need to dry clean

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
well I don't live in the same pit of darkness and despair that Lane lives in, that's for certain.

Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Northern Virginia in a nutshell
lol8[1].gif
worship.gif

My take on the SvB suit fit is that a) the tie is too wide, as others have said and b) it doesn't stand out enough. Something a little more contrast-y, maybe either warmer or in some way complementing those vibrant blue eyes (
inlove.gif
) might help draw the eye up toward the face, which is kind of the point of MC-ish suit fits. As it is, the eyes just rest on the tie and the head looks practically photoshopped on.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
alright, basic fix for SVB's SW+D crossover suit fit (?), to get him to next Tuesday: replace shoes with nicer black shoes, like a Crockett and Jones model on the 348 last, and replace the tie with something dark and 2.5-3" wide with a windsor (the guy is a lawyer right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads