• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picture056.jpg

from a while ago... dont think i ever posted it

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
I'm glad Chrono and I generated some quality discussion in this joint.
bigstar[1].gif
I guess it's hard to tell from the picture but those shoes are actually beat to hell, have all kinds of scratches and mud caked on them. I wear them pretty hard and dress them down all the time. I wear dress shoes like most people wear sneakers and I only really baby my Generic Mans because they're suede and my Carolina Herrera's cause I'm pretty sure they would just get torn apart if I wore them the way I wear my other shoes. Also, as Nil pointed out, I am wearing DRKSHDW jeans. Maybe you haven't seen them before Xeno, but DRKSHDW's are about as grungy as it gets off the rack with all kinds of abrasions, distressing, loose threads etc. Another detail that isn't visible, but my jeans have charcoal fingerprints and paint flecks on them. They are also well broken in, I sized down 1 which is not normally recommended for DRKSHDW and they're almost loose on me now. I'm wearing them pretty low. You see the way they hang off my thighs a little? I can see the discontinuity if you saw the shoes as real shiny polished dress shoes but I was going for the fucked-up-dress shoe thing here.
DSC01769.jpg
Actually not as muddy right now as I thought they were but they're definitely nicely scuffed up.
DSC01770.jpg
For those of you who have never seen DRKSHDWs, there is distressing like this all over the jeans. They are super grungy, I was actually kind of intimidated by them when I first got them. This is also an easy outfit I wear a few times a week in multiple incarnations during S/S (as Chrono noticed) so this isn't really experimenting or anything. As far as my aesthetic goes, I think Xeno is right in that I don't really have one. I don't think that means much though. I think Chrono is similar, both of us go back and forth between pulling a little funky-fresh fashion-esque **** and just wearing easy loungey stuff. I guess some people get confused because of the business-casual stigma that I think gets associated with some of my fits that involve more classic-formal elements? Dunno. Do people think my fits are stuffy?
lol8[1].gif
Contrast is tough to pull off sometimes, perhaps most difficult over the internet; details get blurred and "style rules" are simultaneously overthrown and reinforced. Sorry to write a dissertation on this, feel like Kent
frown.gif
. I am a loser and am avoiding writing a paper.
laugh.gif
Thanks to errbody for the compliments/criticism.

Fair enough, often photos don't do the pieces justice and I can see how these details could be missed. I guess I try to look at things on the surface as well as the details, especially with a lot of avant garde stuff, I find the details may be fantastic, congruent and obvious upon inspection, but that this can cloud judgement of the entire piece as a whole and how something actually looks rather than what it's supposed to look like, e.g:it's CCP so it has all these awesome details that give it a post-apocalyptic look - in reality the pants look like a diaper stitched to a pair of panty-hose (not referring to a real world example here). How this relates I guess is that I still see the shoes, however worn as having a dressy shoe profile and somewhat refined and polished - sort of like wearing a scruffy suit in that it may be dirty and dingy but it's still a tailored suit, and the jeans to me still give off a very chino vibe, despite the details and brand suggesting otherwise (same point as the CCP example). Not trying to sound like a pedantic asshat (though I know I've made good ground in solidifying my position as such) but this is how I see it, again, YMMV and to make it clear I do appreciate your fits even if I see things I would've done differently. Please note the length of my criticism is not indicative of the level of criticism, rather it shows my thoroughness and inability to simplify my thoughts :p.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earnest Hemingway
gap jean jacket
thrifted arrow sportshirt (collar is kinda messed up in pic)
fossil belt
511 twills
dbs

i don't think you should cuff the jeans above the bootline for desert boots.

I'm thinking a blue shirt might be a nicer contrast with the jeans, but the shirts not bad.

Probably could do with a higher rise to compliment the shortish jacket better, but the problem might be alleviated if you just uncuff the jeans.

Otherwise looks good.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earnest Hemingway
Where2kop?
Former Soviet nations should lead to results (don't forget your tetanus shots
laugh.gif
)

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
jeans do need a hem but the shirt fits you great, the whole look is ace! i couldn't even do the top button, my neck is massive :|

haha the top button is really tight even on me... I think it's just extra small for some reason.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vanshin lookin great. also wish we could see more of toru's fit, who is consistently bringing good fits.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mellowfellow
ToruOkada
wassup toru, nice to travel. lucky you.

kelvinsense
, great photo.

My s90 is coming soon, teach me how to be a pro please

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pen ep1 teach me how to not be **** with it please

DesignerValet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
d4uS2.jpg

Like most kelvin fit pics, this is adorable.

pallidsoul

Reaction score
photo314.jpg

Old Navy Blazer
Gap Shirt
Steve & Barry's Tee
Pashmina Scarf
Generic Belt
Abercrombie & Fitch Jeans (Yeah, I know)
Sperry Boat Shoes

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Fair enough, often photos don't do the pieces justice and I can see how these details could be missed. I guess I try to look at things on the surface as well as the details, especially with a lot of avant garde stuff, I find the details may be fantastic, congruent and obvious upon inspection, but that this can cloud judgement of the entire piece as a whole and how something actually looks rather than what it's supposed to look like, e.g:it's CCP so it has all these awesome details that give it a post-apocalyptic look - in reality the pants look like a diaper stitched to a pair of panty-hose (not referring to a real world example here). How this relates I guess is that I still see the shoes, however worn as having a dressy shoe profile and somewhat refined and polished - sort of like wearing a scruffy suit in that it may be dirty and dingy but it's still a tailored suit, and the jeans to me still give off a very chino vibe, despite the details and brand suggesting otherwise (same point as the CCP example). Not trying to sound like a pedantic asshat (though I know I've made good ground in solidifying my position as such) but this is how I see it, again, YMMV and to make it clear I do appreciate your fits even if I see things I would've done differently, please note the length of my criticism is not indicative of the level of criticism, rather it shows my thoroughness and inability to simplify my thoughts :p.

can someone translate for me?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chrono bringing the lulz
lol8[1].gif

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
can someone translate for me?

wft doode should use paragraphs. Xenox use paragraphs broski please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads