1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Thank-you, I agree a lot, if not most, of that. As I said, this wasn't a look I made any particular effort with, I was just interested in what people thought of my 'baseline' if you like. I was trying something with the tweeds, it didn't work. Yes, cloth tie would be much better. Shoes are blah - yes, nothing special, beaten up old things that are good for riding the folding bike to work. Shirt sleeve length is a general issue for me - if it was an expensive shirt, I'd have had them tailored but as it was just bought on sale JCrew, I really didn't think it was worth it (I know that's not going to make me a lot of friends around here!). The waistcoat is not a dress style, it's a modern take on early C20th working man's style so, not quite so fitted was the norm - take a look at http://www.old-town.co.uk/ for the kind of thing. I appreciate that it's not what people expect today, but that's why I like it - and in terms of 'period' it goes with the style of jeans more than a modern fitted waistcoat would. But overall, yes, the mix-and-match is intentional, but it's got nothing to do with 'hipster' although hipsters may indeed dress like this - I wouldn't know, we don't see many around these parts. [​IMG]

2. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

You are young.

You wear a vest.

You bike to work.

You have a beard.

You, sir, are a hipster.

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't think so I've never measured them though. I think they're pretty baggy personally. Much looser then me APC PS. They're what I was wearing in my last WAYWT photo and I thought they looked pretty loose.

4. Binker

Binker Senior member

[​IMG]

shirt is dries, tried to stand sideways and capture the detailing but it didn't work out

better pic of shirt

5. miran

miran Senior member

Yes, but only old grizzled farts wore waistcoats like that in the period you are referring to. Think Tinker from the Lovejoy series, if you've seen it...with an oversized tweed beret... Otherwise, the waistcoat was fitted, and the sleeves rolled up...ready to shovel coke into the boiler or to dissect a corpse....

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

nice, thatgirl. I love that the boots aren't black :foo:

7. snake

snake Senior member

I agree with ivwri about there being too much space at the mouth of the boot, but overall I like it.

8. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

isn't that completely intentional on boots like that? To have a lot of space?

and they make girls calves look smaller

9. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

[​IMG] Most amusing! This is really the first time anyone has ever called me a hipster. I can assure you, sir, that it is merely a trick of synchronicity. I was doing all this before hipsters existed and I intend to be doing it long after they are gone (and I'm really not as young as I look - think 40ish).

And Miran, yes, point taken. I still like it, though.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  10. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

miran seems like kind of a dope

2 people like this.
  11. snake

snake Senior member

They'll always be space between the boot and the leg, but I'm saying that I like it styled in a way where you don't see it as pronounced. Just being nitpicky though. :embar:

[​IMG]

12. Synthese

personal disagree, I love that look. those remind me of a grungier version of a mmm wedge I tried to buy my girlfriend :(

I need to sell my damn wimminz footwear, ffff

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

probably black raw jeans, with a white weft (ie like the ones you gave me that are probably on a plane to Tokyo right now :eek:) or black overdyes as was mentioned. Won't be the most amazing getup but it's an alright result if you can salvage a botched MTM suit - I think I have like 3 shitty bespokes that are unwearable from this year alone.

14. stick

stick Senior member

I think those are the most hipster words that have ever been said.

1 person likes this.
  15. tween_spirit

pretty sure that everyone who posts in SW&D, with the exception of maybe Jet, is some variety of terrible, terrible hipster. if such a word or concept even exists anymore (it doesn't[it does])

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  16. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

17. Teger

Teger Senior member

bitch, i live in richmond. don't you fucking talk to me about what is and isn't hipster.

18. tween_spirit

;)

19. Synthese

More menswear experimentation. Feedback from someone with a brain? Don't want to post in MC. I think I'll probably end up hemming these pants...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. LionelFrankenstein

LionelFrankenstein Senior member

I think most people have subjective definitions of hipsterism. My friends call me a hipster maybe I am but not the type of hipster that is generally loathed by SF folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.