The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

[​IMG]

Your proportions look strange, your upper body looks tiny.

2. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

GAT backlash is funny. GATs generally are a bit of a microcosm of the pendulum effect of groupthink... couple people hype and the pendulum starts gaining momentum towards the positive until finally it reaches maximum hype, and the further that maximum hype exagerrates the positive aspects of something, the greater the counterswing. The resulting movement in the other direction exaggerates it negatively to the same excessive degree. Now people are just making ridiculous comments about how they ruin every fit and only X kind can ever look good. FYI people: the vast majority of GATs are not particularly obtrusive sneakers and it is pretty tough for something that's just not that interesting to make, or break, a fit.
    Your analyses are fun to read, but your generalizations sometimes make me [​IMG] I don't see the pendulum as a great metaphor, because the people that don't like them didn't like them in the first place. Or at least I didn't. Though I guess...the metaphor does apply to which opinions are being expressed relative to time passed...so...yeah But I'm not even 100% against them, Chrono looked pretty cool in them back in the day (last year lol) but like you said, not something to make or break a fit, just something to fill a slot in cases where they fit. But then the hype, and they begin replacing all other generic things in places where they just don't really belong and people start getting called out on it.
    [​IMG]
    I like this, though I think I would have preferred a more substantial shoe to balance out the jacket

3. melonadejello

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i kinda like the whimsical choice of plimsoles

also re: gats. they're fucking gats. as basic of a shoe as you can get and mmm makes a deluxe version of it. fucking hate it when people pull the "i did it first and now a bunch of people are following me. must throw them away" hipster bullshit.

please

they're like common project achilles. deluxe version of a simple sneaker which means it appeals to a lot of people.

5. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

[​IMG]

details? love everything but the shoes. Great colours.

6. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

they're like common project achilles. deluxe version of a simple sneaker which means it appeals to a lot of people.

boom.

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

[​IMG]

roll up your sleeves please. I also think you should let your pants out for a bit more break, and if there's enough fabric, add a cuff.

8. stick

stick Senior member

I wasn't making any sweeping statements regarding GATs, I think they're fine. I own a few pairs myself. I don't even think that the last fit was a problem, it just brought the issue to mind. Nor do I think you need to go all out goth-ninja to wear them either, they're fine with jeans and a t-shirt. But when you're decked out in head to (almost) toe EG, for the same reason you wouldn't finish off the fit with a pair of Nike Dunks, GATs look strange and out of place. Compare: [​IMG] [​IMG] The angle is making the boots look out of proportion, but the point is, while it's not like the GATs destroy the fit, the rest of the outfit is focused specifically enough on a certain aesthetic that they don't belong. Walking down the street, 99% of people won't notice or care, but if you yourself care enough to post pictures on a forum, you might as well nail your aesthetic. GATs are like indesertum said, a simple sneaker that's easy to wear, but that doesn't mean that they mesh with everything. This is an ironically long post considering my point is I don't have a strong opinion either way, haha.

9. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

hey guys cover your eyes, I wore GATSSSS today
    [​IMG]

10. melonadejello

I wasn't making any sweeping statements regarding GATs, I think they're fine. I own a few pairs myself. I don't even think that the last fit was a problem, it just brought the issue to mind. Nor do I think you need to go all out goth-ninja to wear them either, they're fine with jeans and a t-shirt.
    lolwut
    [​IMG]

Dang, that blue leather is a much better color than my velcros Is it really that teal or is it just the picture?

11. sexonfabric

sexonfabric Senior member

I wasn't making any sweeping statements regarding GATs, I think they're fine. I own a few pairs myself. I don't even think that the last fit was a problem, it just brought the issue to mind. Nor do I think you need to go all out goth-ninja to wear them either, they're fine with jeans and a t-shirt.

But when you're decked out in head to (almost) toe EG, for the same reason you wouldn't finish off the fit with a pair of Nike Dunks, GATs look strange and out of place.

Compare:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The angle is making the boots look out of proportion, but the point is, while it's not like the GATs destroy the fit, the rest of the outfit is focused specifically enough on a certain aesthetic that they don't belong. Walking down the street, 99% of people won't notice or care, but if you yourself care enough to post pictures on a forum, you might as well nail your aesthetic.

GATs are like indesertum said, a simple sneaker that's easy to wear, but that doesn't mean that they mesh with everything.

This is an ironically long post considering my point is I don't have a strong opinion either way, haha.

I think at the end of the day...when you simply forget that it is made by MMM it is a simple sneaker that goes pretty well with everything. I didn't buy them simply for group think...I purchased them as I thought the suede like patches and gum sole would go well with my khaki pants and were a no brainer with jeans. EG do quite a few pieces that are reproductions of army gear, so why wouldn't a reproduction of an army trainer sit well in this instance. Fuck brand synergy!

12. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

[​IMG]

blue GATs are the best.

13. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

R I now that I look at it (although your picture quality is crappy) I think tongue out works better for the black and white contrast rafstros. I prefer my all blacks tongue in though, will try tongue out sometime soon and see if I like it. On the other hand, I also usually wear my rafstros with jeans that have a less 7 inch opening so they automatically tuck in.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

GATs look bad in a lot of fits because tan/white sneakers don't look good at the bottom of dark pants/denim with small hems and no cuff. Look at Mikey's last fit with the vans authentics.

(I don't think white achilles lows look that good at the bottom of unfaded uncuffed raw denimz either.)

AR looks dope. I'm gonna buy black and white nikes or some other shoe with a similar colorway and rock the semi plebe version of that fit in the spring (ToJ/white shirt/Black NS/Black and White kicks)

15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Double post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.