• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
DSCN9609.jpg

might be worth registering stylefailure.net, actually

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted that fit just for ***** and giggles (more of an actual "what I wore today" as opposed to a "lets see how to improve this fit" picture), but I got a ton of great advice from it, thanks guys!
Originally Posted by slack tide
I will state the obvious. All of the Common Projects hype & hoopla which runs abound is justified. However, I am HUGE fan of basic white lace up vans in white. Especially for the summer. And I love to beat the crap out of them. Though, your sneakers are bordering on a bit haggard and probably due for replacement. They also look a bit wide and a tad clunky (you may have a wide foot, not sure..). I've found Keds (check your pre-conceptions at the door!) to be a great slim-lined option for cheap basic casual footwear. If you can seek out a pair of Ked "Call of Duties" from last summer, imo, those would be ideal. They were my #1 beaters from last summer and have some nice pics of them to prove it. And cheap, if you're working with budget barriers.
The vans are only like a month old dude and not that dirty, so I don't know what to say on that regard, but I'll take the clunky comment into consideration when it comes time to buy new sneakers. I just checked out some Keds and they look surprisingly good, thanks for the tip on that.
Without a pretty wide wardrobe, I could see that windbreaker being difficult to pair with respect to what to wear under. I'm struggling myself to think (a grey v-neck or crew?). However, the plaid just doesn't work with the look. White lends itself to the warmer seasons and it is in direct competition with that darker colored plaid. Which typically, as I'm sure you know, is more on the Winter side of the pattern spectrum. If you like your checks, try some madras for the spring. (side note: i believe that may be a Gant you're wearing, and if so, I don't know why they released a Spring/Summer set of clothing in mostly fall/winter plaid patterns).
I always thought this flannel looked ss because of the lighter colors, but apparently my sartorial eye still isn't fully developed. I guess the fact that you think it is Gant is a compiment considering it is LEC
blush.gif
Definitely going to look at some madras though, thanks! How are just plain check patterns received here? (I never knew plaid was so hard to pull off, tbh).
Preparing to be stoned to death, but also, I think the jeans are a little wide. My apologies if they're new, but I can't bite my tongue on it. Not just a "tad" wide, but they look oversized. Denim sizing is an art, and differs from person to person, but this is just my opinion. I would look for a slimmer leg that you can get with a factory/off the rack 30" inseam. Nudies (gasp!) come to mind for a denim with plenty of sizing and styles and at relatively reasonable price points.
I'm just going to file this under the "choose who you listen to" category. I have a pair of really slim fitting 511s and a lot of people said they looked too tight, so I went to a slightly looser pair and now you say they are too loose. I probably could have sized down 1 more, so that may be why you're getting the "too big" impression. eh.
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Yeah dude your flannel is less "mountain man" or "williamsburg" and more "what's up internets." Also, white shoes, especially with the combination of dark jeans, small hem, and wide feet, draw a lot of attention to themselves. I don't want this to devolve into a "short dude" discussion but it's really not the best look.
what color sneaker would work better here? I'm hoping the white shoes blend in more once they start getting dirty.
Originally Posted by cowsareforeating
i meant square as figurative. not literal think more square as in svb (no hate, just... that type of look) its hard to wear plaid well (yes, plaid is overused, overdone, generally not done well) unless you're rugged as **** or dashingly handsome. and most of us are neither. its good to take notes of others peoples fits, but i think epaulet and flannel + jacket have been regurgitated to death. sure it looks okay/good but theres not much left so commentate about it on waywt.
as I said, I never knew plaids were so hard to pull off. for those of us who are not rugged or handsome (of which I am neither), what kind of patterns work well?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
white shoes are fine brosef disregard

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
^ hey you got new glasses. congrats.

come on robbie.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfurey
nn, where's that hat from?

either ca4la or margiela, forgot which, I cut the tags
Have two similar ones, I think the softer one was ca4la

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Why is the landscaping always *********** midwest.

thatguymj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Re the Lanvis: The proportions on this look good to me. I am not sure what is putting people off; Lanvins aren't unusually chunky, although the sole is bigger than CPs. I like the contrast of the white sole as well.

At any rate, I see a lot more thicker soled sneakers with slim jeans these days, which is what people seem to be doing with DBSS for example.

I can't tell what the colors of the upper are. If they are brown/olive as BD says above, then they would not be my first choice with a black leather.

Reasonable minds can differ on all of this.

Yeah a lot of them are ridiculous, and I am guilty of posting one of those here recently.

You should be standing for this pic so we can see that flare.

I agree. Not sure why people don't like AR's fit. I think it looks great. I rarely see looks in sw&d other than guys like nicely and slack that I would ever really be able to, or want to, emulate. AR's fit in that pic is something I think I can do similar to and look good. I recently got a pair of black low top lanvins and they seem pretty easy to work into to my dress. They are after all, as someone mentioned, just sneakers. They might be more 'baller' or whatever, and a little more shiny with the patent leather, but all and all a pretty conservative in terms of some of the crazy spaceshoe typa stuff I see people wearing here. I do enjoy checking out those the fits with the 'big' shoes, I just could never work them into my look personally.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because the Midwest is ****.

thatguymj

Reaction score
I think it goes without saying that a certain subset of board members are looking at another board member for blatant aesthetic direction. Just be careful as while certain fits may look good on Scott, they may not look good on you. There are just so many variables to consider and taking that into consideration the bolded portion above comes across as a bit silly.

But, Mike, with all due respect, I know you are struggling dimensionally and I applaud the steps you've taken this far to up your game (0). I think we've all seen improvements over the past few months. And being humble and receptive towards comments is such an important thing, and I know you do that.

I will state the obvious. All of the Common Projects hype & hoopla which runs abound is justified. However, I am HUGE fan of basic white lace up vans in white. Especially for the summer. And I love to beat the crap out of them. Though, your sneakers are bordering on a bit haggard and probably due for replacement. They also look a bit wide and a tad clunky (you may have a wide foot, not sure..). I've found Keds (check your pre-conceptions at the door!) to be a great slim-lined option for cheap basic casual footwear. If you can seek out a pair of Ked "Call of Duties" from last summer, imo, those would be ideal. They were my #1 beaters from last summer and have some nice pics of them to prove it. And cheap, if you're working with budget barriers.

Without a pretty wide wardrobe, I could see that windbreaker being difficult to pair with respect to what to wear under. I'm struggling myself to think (a grey v-neck or crew?). However, the plaid just doesn't work with the look. White lends itself to the warmer seasons and it is in direct competition with that darker colored plaid. Which typically, as I'm sure you know, is more on the Winter side of the pattern spectrum. If you like your checks, try some madras for the spring. (side note: i believe that may be a Gant you're wearing, and if so, I don't know why they released a Spring/Summer set of clothing in mostly fall/winter plaid patterns).

Preparing to be stoned to death, but also, I think the jeans are a little wide. My apologies if they're new, but I can't bite my tongue on it. Not just a "tad" wide, but they look oversized. Denim sizing is an art, and differs from person to person, but this is just my opinion. I would look for a slimmer leg that you can get with a factory/off the rack 30" inseam. Nudies (gasp!) come to mind for a denim with plenty of sizing and styles and at relatively reasonable price points.

Keep posting, keep up the good work -- and we'll be here to continue to pick your looks apart!
smile.gif

Wow. Great write up. Ive read this thread pretty much daily for the last few months and think mike has made leaps and bounds. I kinda like his style and where he is going with it. Most likely bc of it reminds of my own progression.

Oh, and I think the jeans look good and arent too wide at all, now I'm really terrified to post a fit pic in this thread.
laugh.gif

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the compliments du.

I'd say post a fit pic even if you know it will get torn apart. that's what I did and it really helped to direct my attention to things I needed to fix. some things I knew before posting the picture, but other things I never would have known without posting a fit pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads