Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

nice nice-- i liked both of these-- especially the birkenstocks. they go great with new balances.
    took this after i got soaked in the rain.

[​IMG]
    tnf shell
    eg hoody
    sugarcane jeans
    and new balances

[​IMG]

Both awesome fits, love the new balances. I see a lot of people wearing them in Japan, even decked out in Julius/DBSS/Rick

2. G0079

G0079 Senior member

anyone want to explain the context behind the new balances? please enlighten me as to when they stopped being technical sneakers (no hate on some of the real throwback style ones) and started being a referential thing?

genuinely curious.

3. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

They are really well made and comfortable, and fit wide feet. Most of the vintage models are nearly all suede and are either made in USA or Britain, so its nice to have a little domestic manufacturing. Quality is up there too. All the 99x series shoes I have owned outlasted me, meaning I would rather get rid of them or donate before they actually fall apart. They are a less sporty running shoe in my mind which I prefer over Nikes. Also, from what I've seen Nikes are really big on the West Coast while New Balances have a much bigger following on the East Coast.

4. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

idk I just can't get behind them. As unc said, people on here hate a bd because it has a little embroidered logo but don't mind the reflective N on new balances. I've never seen a fit and thought "those nbs look so clutch in that fit."can't help but think that cbusguy's fit would look better with something else on his feet (even plain cons or cps).

5. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

Its no different than a swoosh or three stripes...

6. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

and would you consider a shoe with a swoosh or three stripes "fashionable?" One of the pieces of advice given to newbs on sf is to ditch athletic shoes unless actually working out. Why do NBs get an exception?

(no hate, I just literally am dumbfounded at the praise they get)

7. G0079

G0079 Senior member

I think the 420 Retro looks great, and I can understand where that fits in. What I'm not getting is the super technical looking sneaks with reflective panels and mesh. Are Japanese kids appropriating retarded looking American sneakers as part of their bizzaro world americana kick? If so, don't you lose a hell of a lot in translation when american kids copy japanese kids copying 40 year old american joggers?

8. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Are Japanese kids appropriating retarded looking American sneakers as part of their bizzaro world americana kick?

bingo

9. cbusguy

cbusguy Senior member

anyone want to explain the context behind the new balances? please enlighten me as to when they stopped being technical sneakers (no hate on some of the real throwback style ones) and started being a referential thing? genuinely curious.
    they still are tech sneakers. i like to wear technical/outdoor gear (tnf, arcteryx, patagonia) with a lot of enigneered garments, wwm, and whatever. if you look at the japanese stores on rakuten that sell clothes like white mountaineering, nepenthes, north face purple label, mt. rainier design works, waste twice, ts(s), and blah blah-- they also sell new balances (mostly just 993s) and birkenstocks. it is has become a part of this type of look (i don't know what it's called-- it might have name). i think they go really well with the aesthetic and they go with everything. here are some pics: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] there are a lot more out there, i am just too lazy to find them. i am sure someone else knows more about this than i do. new balances were something i always wore, then i started seeing looks like these. I thought they were really great and i started to use them as "inspiration" for what i wear. oh yeah, and i walk a few miles a day-- so comfortable shoes help.

10. tooshay

tooshay Senior member

11. G0079

G0079 Senior member

Yeah, they makes more sense in that context...kind of a pac nw technical look. It would be a really subtle look to cop in the actual pac nw, though. Thanks dude.

12. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

maybe i'm not "educated" enough but they look out of place in those pics, to me

13. G0079

G0079 Senior member

It's like...90s Vancouver hiker but with clothes that fit slim. If you're going for historical accuracy they make sense, haha

14. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

nb post from me incoming later tonight

15. cbusguy

cbusguy Senior member

maybe i'm not "educated" enough but they look out of place in those pics, to me

if you force yourself (might try waterboarding or some sort of scientology technique), you will eventually like them. although it will take some time.

nb post from me incoming later tonight

looking forward to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.