The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

^^ Love it or leave it, right bro? Give me a fucking break. I don't have to like everything posted now do I? Can I just say it looks stupid? Impractical? Embarrassing? Like he threw on too many layers? Hobo-chic? I'm guessing you guys will say you love the dark washed-out palette, that he's playing with proportions, etc etc, but with that much exposed skin with the back drop of snow it's just silly and try-hard. I don't think it's weird. I also hate that jacket.
    I think the OP was speaking mostly to Chinoguy, but i'll bite: there is no accounting for taste. You don't have to fucking like everything, but at least shut the fuck up if you aren't going to offer valid criticism, rather than say "You left the house in that?..." I mean, you can at least appreciate that often times, the items themselves are still objectively of a higher quality (without getting into that). Style has no ultimate goal, so I fail to see why it must adhere to a set principle or manner of dress to be deemed as style and not "just fashion (more tired argument territory)." Cue ad hominem attacks. Synth probably isn't as well received as you think, people just don't bother stating their dislike, because clearly, he enjoys it. SVB: I agree it'd probably look better with a sleeve roll.

2. dls6128

dls6128 Senior member

^^ Love it or leave it, right bro? Give me a fucking break. I don't have to like everything posted now do I?

Can I just say it looks stupid? Impractical? Embarrassing? Like he threw on too many layers? Hobo-chic? I'm guessing you guys will say you love the dark washed-out palette, that he's playing with proportions, etc etc, but with that much exposed skin with the back drop of snow it's just silly and try-hard. I don't think it's weird. I also hate that jacket.

obviously you can disagree with people's opinions, the problem is you were just being a douchebag about it. the last three sentences of this post are all you should have said, then we could have had a real discussion.

3. trolol

trolol Member

^^ Love it or leave it, right bro? Give me a fucking break. I don't have to like everything posted now do I? Can I just say it looks stupid? Impractical? Embarrassing? Like he threw on too many layers? Hobo-chic? I'm guessing you guys will say you love the dark washed-out palette, that he's playing with proportions, etc etc, but with that much exposed skin with the back drop of snow it's just silly and try-hard. I don't think it's weird. I also hate that jacket.
    bro u sound mad. chill bro you can head over to sufu before you pop a blood vessel on here; your choice. nobody is forcing you to like anything. however, bitching and crying about how your opinion or take on a person's style doesnt contribute to anything. its not even constructive criticism since all you're doing is crying about how you hate the style guy prob put it together for fun and here you are raging on the internet looooooooool

4. jet

jet Persian Bro

brinbro and "chinoguy" UNITE!!

5. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

6. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

7. xM.

xM. Senior member

can we just ignore them from now on please. they're not actually adding anything to the discussion and i'd rather see more than one fit per page

8. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Yeah fits get pushed back to an old page right when they get posted.

9. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Yeah fits get pushed back to an old page right when they get posted.
    Yup. No love for my cheetah shirt. [​IMG]

10. Binker

Binker Senior member

These unbelievably trite little back and forths between the people who are unwilling to accept the most out-there and costumey looks as legitimate everyday attire, and the contingent of regulars who've made it their personal crusade to pick everyone up on even the most benign remarks which might perhaps impinge on their most cherished principle, "be open-minded to all things fashion!!11" are actually making this place unreadable. Both sides come off terribly. I love some of Synth's looks and I dislike others, for no reasoning any more considered than he sometimes goes too far for my tastes and looks silly. In terms of depth of analysis, "this is dope" seems about roughly equivalent to "this looks ridiculous." Let people have their say and move on, I mean you guys must be boring yourselves by now?

11. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Lay off the thesaurus dude that first sentence isn't even readable

12. CrazyJew

CrazyJew Senior member

Chinoguy and brinbro:

Even though some of the fits here seem incomprehensible to you, it's only because you don't understand. It's like people who talk shit about modern art, arguing that it's just a bunch of bullshit random shapes and squares. That's because they don't know anything about modern art, so they cannot attribute a meaning to modern art. They only see random shapes, just like you two only see layers of meaningless cloth on a person who actually very much knows what he is doing.

Take a look at some of the runway shows for designers such as Prada, Givenchy, or Dior. I only name these three since they are commonly well-known fashion houses. Observe that what the models wear are anything but what you see as classical "style". What they wear is bizarre, freakish, yet innovative and edgy. To normal people who know little about fashion except what exists in the windows of pedestrian stands at the mall, this kind of fashion is entirely too esoteric and thus becomes a joke to them. But to those who do understand fashion, there is more depth to what these models wear than what one would normally think.

Now apply that to what Synthese wears, for example. Chino, what you called "bedsheets" is actually a well-known piece that is famous because of its obscurity. He didn't just randomly throw a bunch of expensive shit on, but carefully matched and color-coded drapey clothes together to create a flowing effect. Call it chic hobo if you want, but if you put yourself around this kind of fashion more often, you would understand how much effort goes into looking effortless.

It's also possible to look like shit with expensive clothes. Ask the guy who likes Balmain biker jeans, Gucci jackets, and sips on Italian sparkling water while showing off his $10k cellphone. He got ripped apart because his whole outfit looked like shit.

Spend a bit more time here, and maybe you'll actually come to realize that there is far more to fashion than chinos.

Yup. No love for my cheetah shirt. [​IMG]

You really need a haircut.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Eh, why don't you let Synth tell us whether he was just throwing something on. I agree those two are jackasses, but there are just so many problems with everything you just posted...

14. CrazyJew

CrazyJew Senior member

Eh, why don't you let Synth tell us whether he was just throwing something on. I agree those two are jackasses, but there are just so many problems with everything you just posted...
    you can disagree if you want.

15. Lane

Lane Senior member

I'm not particularly fond of synthese's latest fits but at least he's trying something new. I've always thought of taking fitpics as a way to obtain criticisms from your experiments, which later allows you to grow from them. Honestly, I don't want to see your fucking button up/clark fits...and thats what I see on here usually. If it wasn't for snowman and synthese i'd die of boredom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.