Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Not sure about the socks over the nico boots. Yeah, they're awesome boots but they're combat boots, not hiking/workwear boots where the sock look would be more appropriate.

The fit looks kinda mismatched in general from top to bottom, though.

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

These chunky socks need to find an incinerator quick like.

3. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

AFL, in my mind that looks better incredible. Retake lighter picture tomorrow in daylight? I want to see details of the sock/boot/pant. Silhouette is amazing, but can't tell about the...scarf?

I like your socks.

Thansk, synth. Scarf is kind of funky and rainbow-y, was a gift from the owner of a boutique in my home town. The socks were inspired by your last fit, I was originally going to try it with socks closer to the pants/boot color.

@who & kit: You'll come around, sock tuck is the new chronoroll. Tell your friends.

4. mellowfellow

mellowfellow Senior member

5. whodini

Again, no hate, but sock tucking combat boots is far worse than the chronoroll ever was.

6. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Again, no hate, but sock tucking combat boots is far worse than the chronoroll ever was.
    fosho. Those socks are uglier than my snowboard socks

7. A Fellow Linguist

What do you recommend?

8. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Not sure about the socks over the nico boots. Yeah, they're awesome boots but they're combat boots, not hiking/workwear boots where the sock look would be more appropriate.

Isn't this the german tourist look that Raf so vilified once already? It might be more granola to do with hiking boots and shorts, sure, but I don't see why you wouldn't wear combat boots with wool socks pulled up?

/end whodini conversation

Side note (feel free to disagree): Like you said, the NiCo boots are fsking awesome. So are a lot of boots. It seems like you might as well show them off with a tuck (at least sometimes, contextually), or something else, if you're feeling frisky.

Actually, in terms of the "dissonance" of AFL's latest, the only thing that seems out of place to me is the scarf (colors). I like the slim top paired with the chunky bottom, it's very...luxe. I mean, he's not going to pass as someone marching into combat, but that's not the point, really.

I think I'm going to source some surplus spats from ebay and slip those over the CP's, 10th mountain division style.

9. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

shopping in the snow [​IMG] ca4la attachment n3b heattech stuff margiela jeans carpe boots (no vis)

10. whodini

What do you recommend?
    Besides not tucking your pants into your socks? Tucking pants into combat boots (historically) makes sense. But what's the point of tucking your pants into your socks and then pulling them up high enough so that they come over combat boots? And from a comfort standpoint, it must really suck.
    Isn't this the german tourist look that Raf so vilified once already? It might be more granola to do with hiking boots and shorts, sure, but I don't see why you wouldn't wear combat boots with wool socks pulled up?
    Obviously, not everything in fashion has to make functional sense; I love Fok's deconstructed passants on the SF shirt even though they're completely useless. It's more granola with hiking boots because that's where the look originates: tucking pants into socks while wearing ankle boots to protect against ticks/mosquitoes/etc. But socks peaking out over knee-high boots? eh? Personally, it not only comes off as completely affected but it doesn't make much sense visually. Is your fit so boring that you need to bring people's attention to your socks (or conversely, are your wool socks really that interesting)?
    Side note (feel free to disagree): Like you said, the NiCo boots are fsking awesome. So are a lot of boots. It seems like you might as well show them off with a tuck (at least sometimes, contextually), or something else, if you're feeling frisky.
    I almost always tuck into my nicos for exactly the reason you state. If you think I'm anti-tuck in general then you didn't get my point.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

what's up La France

12. A Fellow Linguist

Besides not tucking your pants into your socks? Tucking pants into combat boots (historically) makes sense. But what's the point of tucking your pants into your socks and then pulling them up high enough so that they come over combat boots? And from a comfort standpoint, it must really suck.

tucking pants into socks while wearing ankle boots to protect against ticks/mosquitoes/etc. But socks peaking out over knee-high boots? eh? Personally, it not only comes off as completely affected but it doesn't make much sense visually.

I don't much care for making historical or practical sense, seems like a silly way to justify fashuns. And it wasn't any more uncomfortable than a normal boot tuck, if that makes a difference to you. I dunno, I had fun wearing it and thought it was a good enough look to post. Different strokes.

13. DLester

DLester Senior member

shopping in the snow
    attachment[​IMG]

I wish I were smaller, none of that shit fits me.

14. whodini

I don't much care for making historical or practical sense, seems like a silly way to justify fashuns. And it wasn't any more uncomfortable than a normal boot tuck, if that makes a difference to you. I dunno, I had fun wearing it and thought it was a good enough look to post. Different strokes.
    Then cool. That should be the point.

Like I said, not everything has to be justified but your concept leaves me confused as to how you got from point A to B. If I saw you on the street, I'd think that you saw a sock tuck online or on a runway and hastily tried to replicate the look with whatever you had lying around.

Different strokes:
    [​IMG]

15. A Fellow Linguist

Different strokes:

Matching argyle [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.