The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

2. bare bodkin

bare bodkin Senior member

privileged white dude playing hood black music and calling it ignorant. classy...

What makes you think he's privileged?

3. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Morgan your cat is the best

4. puddin

puddin Senior member

What makes you think he's privileged?

first off, i got nothing against magician, he was a nice dude when i met him at a farinelli's party. and we've got mutual friends so i'm sure he's good people. but i call bullshit when i see it. call him middle class or whatever you want, but he's not from the hood. i'd say most everyone here is privileged.

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

^I'm from Lakehood.

Moo I like that, just need some lighter color to break up all that.

Lotus jacket looks fine, replace tee.

Morgan, nice vest man love that pendleton one did you grab the medium?

6. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

first off, i got nothing against magician, he was a nice dude when i met him at a farinelli's party. and we've got mutual friends so i'm sure he's good people. but i call bullshit when i see it. call him middle class or whatever you want, but he's not from the hood. i'd say most everyone here is privileged.
    First of all yeah I went to high school in a middle class suburb (though if you think being raised by a single mom working for local government and then struggling to pay my own way through community college is growing up privileged well i guess my silver spoon was pretty damn shiny). I've also lived in the deep Baltimore ghetto for awhile. Regardless, some gangster rap is ignorant..not all of it obviously but when I'm playing tracks by Plies, li'l B or Wacka flocka Flame do you really think ignorant is an unfair descriptor? Hell I'm sure it's somewhat self-aware and I'm not calling the artists ignorant just some of the music... but if you think it's unfair to call this ignorant: then I dont even know... Damn.

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

I have a feeling puddin is black based on his posts.

8. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

I have a feeling puddin is black based on his posts.
    well that bowl ain't filled with tapioca...

9. Nil

Nil Senior member

but if you think it's unfair to call this ignorant: then I dont even know...

Oddly enough, Plies is a college boy.

10. puddin

puddin Senior member

First of all yeah I went to high school in a middle class suburb (though if you think being raised by a single mom working for local government and then struggling to pay my own way through community college is growing up privileged well i guess my silver spoon was pretty damn shiny). I've also lived in the deep Baltimore ghetto for awhile.

Regardless, some gangster rap is ignorant..not all of it obviously but when I'm playing tracks by Plies, li'l B or Wacka flocka Flame do you really think ignorant is an unfair descriptor? Hell I'm sure it's somewhat self-aware and I'm not calling the artists ignorant just some of the music...

but if you think it's unfair to call this ignorant: then I dont even know...

Damn.

aight well just caught me as an odd sideways comment on music you're playing. i don't really think those artists make ignorant music, actually i think lil b is kinda genius/hilarious. not really a fan of wacka flocka or plies, but i don't really check for them too much either.

11. Nouveau Pauvre

I agree that Lil'B is genius/hilarious, still some of his stuff is really dumb even gleefully so. I don't play that music ironically either, I genuinely love it. I think it's often hilarious, it's culturally relevant and somewhat thrilling in its' violation of taboos. that doesn't mean it's not ignorant.

also I definitely dont think all gangsta rap is ignorant, notice how in my post i made a specific distinction between gfunk and the dumb stuff....

and though gangsta rap is an easy place to find ignorant music there's obviously no monopoly there, some of my other favorite genres like underground metal and punk obviously have tons of ignorance too, and yeah I enjoy a lot of that stuff.

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

100 miles and runnin set the precedent

13. Nouveau Pauvre

Oh and btw if you want some ghetto living stories ask Jodum5 about the time he visited me at the warehouse I used to squat in.

14. puddin

puddin Senior member

Oh and btw if you want some ghetto living stories ask Jodum5 about the time he visited me at the warehouse I used to squat in.

haha will do

15. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

it's funny how much some here are willing to spend on clothes while residing in what amounts to a slightly more luxurious street-side burrito cart and using a stained couch as a bed, dining set, and writing desk simultaneously.

I have a decent place. Leather couches, nice tv, driftwood table ... but shitty curtains, no rug, ugly walls and a second bedroom full of junk that I want to convert into a dressing room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.