The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i guess it actually isn't.

interesting. a suit is still a suit right? whether its done by JS or Corneliani. I guess we can just agree to disagree.

The moral of the story being - MC and SW&D have different rules/aesthetics ... and its important to be tolerant of the stylistic choices of each group when they try to cross over.

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

sorry it doesn't fit like a sack and you're supposed to button both on jil sander suits and you aren't supposed to see cuff

There is a big difference between a sack suit and trim (not SKINNY) suit with moderate waist suppression, a short jacket, and high armholes.

American style sack suits:

[​IMG]

Trim suits

[​IMG]

As for the Jil Sander quirk about button the bottom buttons and leaving the sleeves long, that's just plain weird. [​IMG]

3. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Somebody post the butler guy, everything he does is great.

4. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

who said it was supposed to fit like a sack? i actually complemented you for the waist suppression/shaping (which is the opposite of fitting like a sack).

care to share the provenance of the jil sander rules on not showing cuff and buttoning the lower button? first time i'm hearing this ... and i have followed the JS aesthetic for a fair while.

the raf simons jil sander suits are meant to remained buttoned and actually have sleeves that cover cuffs, he spoke about this in a protracted article on tailoring a while ago. will dig it up...

Nii,

I have a black Jil suit, pre Raf, it has not breast pocket and not buttons on the sleeve. Also a two button that was meant to have both buttons done.

They are from 2004, so I can see where Kunks is supposed to look like that.

Actually if it didn't look like that I would not like it as much. While it is not something I would wear now, this is one of the things from SW/D that I get.

5. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

But you said that most suits are tailored with an undone lower button in mind, what's to stop Raf from tailoring his suits with a full buttoning in mind? Different intended silhouettes

I remember asking this exact question when I first joined SF, and here's the thread, with Manton's responses --

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=913897

For a single breasted coat, the waist button -- which is the only button on a one button coat, the top button on a two button, and the middle button on a three button -- should be buttoned when standing. Some say it doesn't matter, and you can leave the coat unbuttoned. Not some thing I generally do or like, but hey. Others will say that it should be buttoned even when sitting, but most people unbutton a single-breasted coat when sitting.

Some three button coats are so made that you can button both the middle and the top buttons; some are made so that the top button is for show and can't be buttoned. Personally, I don't much like true 3-buttons (the ones that close to the top) and think that, if you're going to wear one, you definitely should not button the top button.

It looks seriously awful ever to button the bottom button of any single breasted coat, ever.

All of this applies equally to suit coats as well as odd jackets (sport coats).

DBs are a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

From the thread, it looks like the exception would be with the Paddock jacket --

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...l-jackets.html

Enjoy!

6. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

just got done seeing wolf parade. pretty good show, though i wish they would have played more songs from the first album.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

apc scaf
    bs jacket
    silent t
    superfine jeans
    brato sneakers

7. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

looks good

kunk looks good

wolf parade is good, really wish I could see them... they played Seattle a day after I moved away

8. Contingency Plan

Contingency Plan Senior member

Wolf Parade have followed Interpol in having progressively worse (but still good) albums [​IMG]

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I saw Wolf Parade in S.F. right when they released At Mount Zoomer.

10. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Wolf Parade have followed Interpol in having progressively worse (but still good) albums [​IMG]
    +1 [​IMG]

11. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

ive heard the new interpol is actually really good. Either way, i am planning on seeing them in feb.

12. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

interesting. a suit is still a suit right? whether its done by JS or Corneliani. I guess we can just agree to disagree.

The moral of the story being - MC and SW&D have different rules/aesthetics ... and its important to be tolerant of the stylistic choices of each group when they try to cross over.

there are traditional two button suits that's designed to have both button buttoned. the button point will be raised relatively higher to the waist line.

here's the fugly british royalty
    [​IMG]

here's the downy american royalty
    [​IMG]

13. SimonT

SimonT Well-Known Member

14. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

They're "Khaki Waders"..

I found them in store in smaller sizes than you can get through the dockers website

Those are nice, but damn I wish they came in a 32" inseam for cuffing

Lot of great fits here over the last few days. I am definitely sharking the tan/camel slim chino/cords stee. Just waiting for it to come together

15. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I saw Wolf Parade when they played here, and it was a fantastic show. They played "You Are a Runner and I am my Father's Son" and "Shine a Light", my favorite songs off Apologies to the Queen Mary. They played a bunch of stuff off of Expo 86, which isn't as good as Apologies but is a step up from At Mount Zoomer.

I kinda like all this MC/SW&D cross-pollination. And I realize that Kunk's suit is meant to look and be worn like that, but it still looks weird to me, particularly with the extra-long arms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.