• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

at least you'll still have baller snekaers

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmaozedong
laugh.gif
at least you'll still have baller snekaers

Does that make him better dressed than I am?

Brinbro

Reaction score
CrazyJew, in the context of this forum, the fit and details of your clothing has to do with about 90% of the way you look.

The important thing to remember is, outside of this forum, 90% of the way you look is in your face and hair while the rest is your clothing - relatively speaking.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brinbro
CrazyJew, in the context of this forum, the fit and details of your clothing has to do with about 90% of the way you look.

The important thing to remember is, outside of this forum, 90% of the way you look is in your face and hair while the rest is your clothing - relatively speaking.

It would only be that simple if the people representative of this forum and those representative of outside the forum were from the same pool. Unfortunately, the people I work with have higher regards and complements for my goatee and crazy hair compared to their distaste for my "bizarre" taste in clothing (compared to their ultra-pedestrian brands from wal-mart/american eagle). The truth is, having people in real life, including customers at my table, ask me how old I am when I shave then remark that I look like I'm 12 stings a little bit more deeply than the beard remarks I get here.

That's why I go back to the geographical cultural differences as a reason for keeping the goatee. But as I said, nonetheless I'm shaving it tomorrow and keeping it that way for a couple weeks to see what happens.

Cheese1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrazyJew
By the way, what's worse than a goatee? leopard print.

To top it all off, "chinchillin," who seems to just jump on the bandwagon like everyone else here, posts a laughable WAYWT not even a few hours later sporting not two, but THREE mismatching layers of clothing, along with a chin strap of rampant pubic hair. Unfortunately, only one person managed to point out that his fit needed to be burned.

You make some good points about idiots just posting stupid **** to get their post count up and backing up the opinions of older members, but the two things you say here don't really defend you well. If people didn't like your fit they didn't like your fit... someone else posting a ****** fit doesn't make yours any better, and a discussion of leopard print doesn't change anyone's opinion on your fit since you weren't wearing any leopard print. I too sport a ****** goatee because I look like I'm 13, so I don't fault you for it. But let the criticism roll off your back before you condemn an entire thread and look a little silly defending yourself by trying to bring others down.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It would only be that simple if the people representative of this forum and those representative of outside the forum were from the same pool. Unfortunately, the people I work with have higher regards and complements for my goatee and crazy hair compared to their distaste for my "bizarre" taste in clothing (compared to their ultra-pedestrian brands from wal-mart/american eagle). The truth is, having people in real life, including customers at my table, ask me how old I am when I shave then remark that I look like I'm 12 stings a little bit more deeply than the beard remarks I get here. That's why I go back to the geographical cultural differences as a reason for keeping the goatee. But as I said, nonetheless I'm shaving it tomorrow and keeping it that way for a couple weeks to see what happens.
So what you're saying is that people who you admit have no taste and shop at Wal-Mart compliment your goatee? Not a particularly good defense, I'd think. 90% of cases of younger people sporting facial hair turn out terrible

dls6128

Reaction score
fuuuuuuuuu I can't believe I missed that NDG cardigan the second time around

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cheese1
You make some good points about idiots just posting stupid **** to get their post count up and backing up the opinions of older members, but the two things you say here don't really defend you well. If people didn't like your fit they didn't like your fit... someone else posting a ****** fit doesn't make yours any better, and a discussion of leopard print doesn't change anyone's opinion on your fit since you weren't wearing any leopard print. I too sport a ****** goatee because I look like I'm 13, so I don't fault you for it. But let the criticism roll off your back before you condemn an entire thread and look a little silly defending yourself by trying to bring others down.

The leopard print statement was a sarcastic response to james_m throwing in another jab at the goatee, arbitrarily deeming it as indefensibly fashionable as leopard print. It was a marsupialed statement from yet again another bandwagoning user I've never heard of until now.

I'd let the criticism roll off but I honestly just felt like putting a few people in their place instead of walking by this time. There was nothing even wrong with the outfit itself, and I can say this myself without sounding arrogant. I didn't post the fit because I needed critique on how to wear boots, jeans, and a button-down; I just posted that picture to show off a little color this morning, and my girl said I looked great today. The last fit I posted (see the Julius fit) was something I openly accepted criticism on, because it was something completely out of the ordinary, and I needed help figuring out what to do to make it better.

Whether or not I actually expected anyone to really try to critique such a simple fit, the responses were, for the most part not even about the fit itself but about my face, which most people blot out in WAYWT anyway. I just choose to run a risk by not doing this and attracting attention away from the outfit itself, and it seems like that pretty much happened.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
So what you're saying is that people who you admit have no taste and shop at Wal-Mart compliment your goatee? Not a particularly good defense, I'd think. 90% of cases of younger people sporting facial hair turn out terrible

It's hard to explain kit. I honestly couldn't care about what people I work with say about what I wear outside of work. hell, I even enjoy it a little bit, because at that point I know that what I'm wearing is making a statement. Besides, their complaints for the most part is that I spend too much on my pieces. My response to that is that they spend too much on video games, cigarettes, pills, and DUI charges. But it's just really insulting to my testosterone-run, male half of my brain when even my customers, sitting at their tables, joke about me looking like I'm working out of middle school after shaving. I dunno, I guess I'm a little sensitive.

edit: jesus ****, did my post really have to follow such a bizarre picture?
eh.gif

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@crazyjew: Styleforum is probably the bitchiest and most nitpicky place on the internet, you literally get burned on everything. People are flamed for looking too normal, too weird, too tight, too loose, crap brands, overly baller brands, wrong hair, wrong age, wrong face, wrong body, not enough layers, too many layers, too formal, too sloppy, mixing styles, following one style only, etc. etc. etc. it's just the way this site is. Wear what you want, but don't post fits which are decidedly mediocre. Like, I was going out for wings tonight and wore a hoodie from Urban Outfitters, a white tee, some Nudies, and converse. I didn't post that **** though, but you know it's like, I was going out to eat chicken wings I'm not gonna wear Dior, **** can get messy. I dunno, I guess what I'm trying to say is chill the **** out. Everyone gets burned. Take it, and move on. You can joke about how badly you dressed in the past, but you can't joke about how you used to get all pissy and overreact and now you're level headed and cool.

People will forget about your goatee if your fit is good... don't defend **** just prove people wrong. Getting into an argument about your outfit is NOT worth it.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Listi, gotta build a thicker e-skin and keep your cool. Someone the other day commented that they didn't like how I was standing. Oh well. Very rarely are these comments personal (unless you make them to be) so take those comments/critiques at face value.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crazyjew, you are going to have a tough time trying to elevate your look given your environment. people irl will not get it and will **** on you.

The last fit I posted (see the Julius fit) was something I openly accepted criticism on, because it was something completely out of the ordinary, and I needed help figuring out what to do to make it better.

I thought your julius fit looked pretty good but omfg you were out of place among the other people in that photo. you have a difficult dilemma. I recommend that you do what you like and accept the consequences. people with sense will respect you for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads