• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
See how your shirt is shelving at the back and then gets stuck up on the top of your butt and accentuates how much it sticks out?

First off, Junk - your front on photo still emphasize your midsection, imo. Taking photos is a *****. I bet you are leaning backwards a tiny bit, too. So the camera makes your hips bigger, then you lean back making your top smaller.

I don't know how to take a good photo, but what I did to get better was attempt to mimic the proportions on The Sartorialist. The amount of space above and below the person in each photo is what I think creates real proportions.

Anyway, Master-Classter - that is also a build issue, but it can't be fixed by a bigger shirt. A bigger shirt that drops from shoulder to butt, over the lordotic curve, has a much much worse silhouette. I wish I was able to explain better.

gtu2004

Reaction score
Junk reminds me of musicguy. Both have some weird proportions to their bodies, aka "pear shaped"

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Junk I think a lot of your wardrobe issues might stem from mistaking "tight" and "small" for "fit". That T shirt, for example, is form fitting but it's way too short for your body type. Those pants in your first two fit pics are tight, but they don't fit properly. Sizing down isn't always the solution. The biggest lesson I've learned in my short time on SF is that proper fit is determined by the cut, not only on the size. If something isn't cut in a way that's going to flatter you, sizing down isn't going to make up the difference.

Junk

Reaction score
last one for today..

IMG_2191.jpg

ignore the photoshop fail there at the top..

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
diba: pretty awesome love the look of that jacket.
aeglus: loving the fit especially with the bucks
junk: you'll figure it out just give it time. i would probably experiment with longer shirts and sagging pants down to a wide point on your hips. It might make your legs look stubby, or it might suppress your hips.

@haircare: I condition ~2x a week and shampoo ~1x. Also, Lush is pretty awesome.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Junk
last one for today..

IMG_2191.jpg

ignore the photoshop fail there at the top..

Better photography + shoes + top have improved your fit by a mile, I don't mind this at all. The jeans could be a tad higher rise but it works as it is.

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fuji man you're definitely looking better with some more weight on. went from the skinny cokehead rock star look to the slim cokehead rock star look lol

junk, that looks a lot better man. this one with the yellow sweater looks proportionately better than any of those other ones because the sweater is cut a little fuller, look how slim that polo is its just exaggerating the difference between your torso and hips

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
junk I think you have to hit up the gym and do military press and laterals religiously (well you need everything but shoulders need to bulk up a lot). I don't think any clothing or camera angle is going to fix your shoulder to hip ratio.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some photography tips for those who want better realize their fit pics:

1. Outdoor > Indoor - The exception being if you have sufficient natural light coming in from the windows or have strong artificial lighting. The human eye is exceptionally efficient at processing light, a camera cannot see what you see as well as you think.

2. More distance from camera shows truer proportions. Ideally, you want a mid-level zoom 105-150mm at some distance for portrait photography. This is not a steadfast rule, but for a novice it's an easy way to achieve better results without needing to know much more.
Here's an example of focal lengths and distance, and their effect on the subject:
http://www.mcpactions.com/blog/2010/...rs-experiment/

3. Unless you are pencil thin, do not take straight on, arms hanging at your sides shots. A general rule of thumb is to have at least 2-3 bends at various joints (i.e. elbow, knee, waist, wrist, neck). This creates a more dynamic image and looks more natural (despite it being manufactured). A perfect recent example of a member discovering this is agelus, he has adopted a stance that works.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I liked Fuji better when he was skinnier.

Agreement.

The suggestion of anorexia, permanently stoned facial expression, and amazing hair just worked on every level.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah

yes

people seem to think bathing consists of pouring water on themselves

What the what? I don't know how you roll in Persia but here in 'merika hot water is a God given right.
Seriously though what are you talking about?
When I say I use hot water I don't mean I run scalding hot water over my hair daily and strip it raw.
I just rinse any crap out of it (sand, the grime of city living) and call it good. I also use oil in my hair from time to time or a little pomade.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
Agreement.

The suggestion of anorexia, permanently stoned facial expression, and amazing hair just worked on every level.

I've stopped taking any drugs and started taking lots of supplements to bulk up so that probably explains the first 2. I still think my hairs pretty sick.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Norcal, you're an idiot

big ups to fuji that change in diet will nourish your hair too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads