• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Way We Were - From Days of Past

David Copeland

Reaction score

Casual short-sleeve shirt, Leather Belt, dress pants, and leather laced shoes.

What woman can resists that!

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me at age 16. Spring 1978. Shirt, tie and 3 piece suit all by Pierre Cardin. Mainly worn on Sundays for church and special occasions. I wore this suit for 10 years before out-growing and donating it.

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score

Me at age 16. Spring 1978. Shirt, tie and 3 piece suit all by Pierre Cardin. Mainly worn on Sundays for church and special occasions. I wore this suit for 10 years before out-growing and donating it.

Exceptional and very nice, especially with the feel of wool.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score

Not sure if there has been much discussion on how hair style and facial style play an important part to the overall style of dress, but the following photo of the past surely has it's place in what may have been a very attractive style back then: (Besides, I am not sure how many of today's men can nurture such a remarkable mustache)
Not sure if serious, but no way this is an old picture.

David Copeland

Reaction score

LIGHT TWEED JACKET, blue tie, white shirt, and light slacks.

(And a well groomed haircut)

David Copeland

Reaction score

Perhaps nearly all Americans from the founding of our country wore hats. Only in the last few decades has the hat vastly (but not entirely) been removed in most appearances. Still . . . there is style, depending how it is chosen and how it is worn.

(By the way, I do have the book by Sinatra)

David Copeland

Reaction score
It looks like some styles from "The Way We Were" are resurfacing for Fall 2013:

Ralph Lauren Fall 2013

"Some guys wear it all, some wear just one," Ralph Lauren said, referring to the three tent pole brands of his RL menswear empire - Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Ralph Lauren Black Label and Polo Ralph Lauren.

"All three, plus a helping of Black Label Denim and RLX, were on display at the house's Fall 2013 preview where the designer proved that whether it's a natty three-piece Harris tweed suit or rough-and-tumble indigo-dyed biker jeans,

"Lauren knows what men want to and, maybe more importantly, actually will wear. An emphasis on the shoulder--British and sharp at Purple and Black Label, iconically American and natural at Polo--created a streamlined silhouette when paired with slim trousers, something seen across the board in tailored offerings, while sportswear took to sophisticated heights thanks to rich materials rendered in subtle colors.

"In fact, uncommon color combinations made for eye candy all around, from cornflower blue and loden green or charcoal flannel and brown suede at Purple Label, to jewel tones and heather gray dress shirts at Black Label, to Polo's punch of outdoor gear-inspired orange.

"With so many fresh ideas on display, plus a lineup of shoes you'd consider emptying your 401(k) for, the hardest part come next Fall is figuring out which goods you'll want to cop first."

David Copeland

Reaction score
One for the ladies . . .

Absolutely gorgeous. An investment which will wear well for generations to come.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads