• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are half the hell.
The gallerists, auction houses, and big art fairs are the other.
Watch this documentary, currently on Netflix USA, when you have a moment.
we watched that when it came out. I think the gallery director was hung out to dry on that one.

of the most annoying people, though, was the useless trophy wife of that guy who got taken to the cleaners with that fake Rothko.
For myself, the jury is still out on the director. She may not have been 100% complicit, but I think she is 100% lying about being fooled. Nobody rises to Director of Knoedler Gallery by being 100% innocent or stupid. But yes, higher powers may have cut the tree branch on her, in which case the film didn't investigate deeply enough.

I loved this documentary. Watched it a few weeks ago. The Hammer family did not have a good few years. First the closing of the gallery. Second, Armie going all Hannibal.

The guy on the Rothko is Domenico De Sole, who is the Chair of Sotheby's and CEO of Tom Ford. He was the CEO of Gucci when Tom Ford made Gucci relevant again.

I believe the testimony from the gallery's finance department should answer any questions of complicity. Won't give away too much as I hope others watched it too.

__

1. How many watches do you own? 3

2. Are you planning to increase your collection, consolidate it, or stay put? Add one more. I'm looking at you ALS Odyesseus.

3. Do you have any "rules" about collecting other than "I buy what I like"? It needs to make me genuinely happy and willing to part with material money.

4. Do you buy and keep, catch and release, or somewhere in the middle? Buy and keep.

5. Has your watch collecting ever gotten you in trouble with your wife? Nope. Luckily I don't try to go into a conversation that rhymes with luck too.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved this documentary. Watched it a few weeks ago. The Hammer family did not have a good few years. First the closing of the gallery. Second, Armie going all Hannibal.

The guy on the Rothko is Domenico De Sole, who is the Chair of Sotheby's and CEO of Tom Ford. He was the CEO of Gucci when Tom Ford made Gucci relevant again.

I believe the testimony from the gallery's finance department should answer any questions of complicity. Won't give away too much as I hope others watched it too.

__

1. How many watches do you own? 3

2. Are you planning to increase your collection, consolidate it, or stay put? Add one more. I'm looking at you ALS Odyesseus.

3. Do you have any "rules" about collecting other than "I buy what I like"? It needs to make me genuinely happy and willing to part with material money.

4. Do you buy and keep, catch and release, or somewhere in the middle? Buy and keep.

5. Has your watch collecting ever gotten you in trouble with your wife? Nope. Luckily I don't try to go into a conversation that rhymes with luck too.

Squaring with you, I don’t get the Odysseus AT ALL. Just doesn’t move the needle.

That said, on the topic of Lange - the 1815 Chronograph is a hell of a watch. In its price range, which is obviously high, I don’t think there is anything that holds a candle to it. I’ve kind of been lusting.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I see pictures of the ALS Odysseus in SS, I just think the bracelet completely overpowers the whole watch. The Odysseus looks much better on the strap but then idk why ALS would put a sports watch on a leather strap.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was incredibly indifferent about the Odysseus at launch. And then I had it on wrist. Three thoughts went through my head:
  1. I need this because I hear the gears turning and it's quickly becoming a telltale heart situation
  2. I'm bigger than the security guard and can probably take him out if I need to grab and go
  3. ****, I'm on video and larceny is probably not great for my career. But I would have the Odysseus, so.....maybe?

dan'l

Reaction score
These guys have always cracked me up. Big tool watches apparently with off-the-shelf ETA movements. Some actually look pretty cool but I never hear about them or see them in the wild.

I remember when they first came out. I believe James Gandolfini was involved in marketing them somehow (don‘t remember if he was a brand ambassador, had a stake in the company or was just a fan).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when they first came out. I believe James Gandolfini was involved in marketing them somehow (don‘t remember if he was a brand ambassador, had a stake in the company or was just a fan).
I read that he was friends with Michael Kobold.

1620300377382.png

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. How many watches do you own? 3 that are in regular rotation (Sub, Omega AT, Longines Master Collection Chrono) plus two others that I wear a couple times a year (Archimede Outdoor, vintage Omega)

2. Are you planning to increase your collection, consolidate it, or stay put? Increase, but not specific plans. I buy something new about ever 2-3 years. I've been eyeing a Cartier Santos, or the new Hermes, or a birth-year Rolex as my next choice.

3. Do you have any "rules" about collecting other than "I buy what I like"? How it looks on my wrist is more important than anything. I don't really have any use for quartz. I also try and avoid watches that have the same "use case" as something I already own. I wouldn't buy a Rolex Explorer or Speedy, for example, because I would wear those watches in all the same situations I wear my Sub, so they'd be redundant....well, not the new two-tone Explorer...I might get that.

4. Do you buy and keep, catch and release, or somewhere in the middle? Buy and keep. I am WAY to lazy to monkey around with selling crap online.

5. Has your watch collecting ever gotten you in trouble with your wife? Not yet...eye rolls now and then but that's about it. She's far more open to spending on watches than on clothes, funny enough.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the kind of conversation starter I like....

1. How many watches do you own? Let's limit it to watches you wear at least semi-regularly (say in the last year). Don't count broken watches you haven't gotten fixed, watches that you are keeping purely for sentimental reasons, and watches that are no longer your style. 5

2. Are you planning to increase your collection, consolidate it, or stay put? Likely consolidate and maybe add one, but release two or three into the wild. Main watch for now is a '99 sub, looking to add a dressier watch to the collection maybe in the next year.

3. Do you have any "rules" about collecting other than "I buy what I like"? Only rule for me is automatic only, (except for one digital watch for running)

4. Do you buy and keep, catch and release, or somewhere in the middle? I'm somewhere in the middle, I've had a few that I let go (with one lingering regret), at the same time, I am not a habitual flipper.

5. Has your watch collecting ever gotten you in trouble with your wife? Watches are pretty easy to get past spousal customs, since they're small. Tailored clothing OTOH arrives in larger boxes, and she works from home for now, so is there when packages arrive.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its often repeated, but you might not have heard it in the context of your new found hobby: You are always buying the seller. Keep that in mind as you are looking at the usually wide range of pricing online. Sometimes you get lucky, other times you get what you've paid for or less.
I would add that you should never compromise on condition when it comes to a vintage watch. I recently came across a grail of mine for sale. The case is unpolished, the parts appear all original, and the markings and print on the dial are sharp. BUT the dial has changed color from silver to yellow cream, the same shade as the tritium hands. I've never seen this patina on any other version of this watch, so I'm wondering what happened to this watch. In any event, I find the dial patina to be less attractive than the original dial color. I don't think I could ever look past it, so I decided I couldn't pull the trigger.

officine

Reaction score
I would add that you should never compromise on condition when it comes to a vintage watch. I recently came across a grail of mine for sale. The case is unpolished, the parts appear all original, and the markings and print on the dial are sharp. BUT the dial has changed color from silver to yellow cream, the same shade as the tritium hands. I've never seen this patina on any other version of this watch, so I'm wondering what happened to this watch. In any event, I find the dial patina to be less attractive than the original dial color. I don't think I could ever look past it, so I decided I couldn't pull the trigger.
What are your thoughts on refurbished dials? I've noticed the trend lately that a touched up dial is sacrilege; but talking to watchmakers, this was not uncommon as many people went through life with one or two watches.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on refurbished dials? I've noticed the trend lately that a touched up dial is sacrilege; but talking to watchmakers, this was not uncommon as many people went through life with one or two watches.

Personally, I would much rather buy a vintage watch with service parts than a vintage watch with a ton of patina (that, to me, typically makes it look like trash). I acknowledge that I'm in the significant minority of watch lovers with this perspective, but I also have no interest in the "investment" aspect of watch buying, so it's actually to my benefit to seek out watches with genuine replacement parts vs. all original.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the kind of conversation starter I like....

5. Has your watch collecting ever gotten you in trouble with your wife? Watches are pretty easy to get past spousal customs, since they're small. Tailored clothing OTOH arrives in larger boxes, and she works from home for now, so is there when packages arrive.

Wait...so you kind of hide your watches? I'm not the only one?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would much rather buy a vintage watch with service parts than a vintage watch with a ton of patina (that, to me, typically makes it look like trash). I acknowledge that I'm in the significant minority of watch lovers with this perspective, but I also have no interest in the "investment" aspect of watch buying, so it's actually to my benefit to seek out watches with genuine replacement parts vs. all original.
I prefer an original, honest dial, but am not an absolutist when it comes to refurbishment as long as it's done by an expert. I've seen some terrible jobs where the new dial printing looks nothing like the original font.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer an original, honest dial, but am not an absolutist when it comes to refurbishment as long as it's done by an expert. I've seen some terrible jobs where the new dial printing looks nothing like the original font.

Yeah, clearly that's bad. I'm talking about something like a replacement dial and handset that came from the Rolex Service Center, not something done by some random watchmaker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads