• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually like the shoes.
I forget who said it but "Hublot puts the whore in horology" or something like that. Some of their stuff seems interesting but only in a gaudy, show-off kind of way. Just me I guess.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are just details that I prefer on earlier models and at the prices these command now, I don't feel like compromising on aesthetics. I mean, I paid $1615 for my sub when it was new, with no compromise in sight ;-)

Well as much as I love Rolex watches and I've owned many, there were compromises with the old Subs, maybe you just didn't mind them. Modern Subs, and other steel models, have bracelets with solid center links, solid end links rather than hollow clam shells, a machined clasp and the glide lock adjustment/extension rather than a stamped steel clasp and extension link, and maxi dial lum (more like on vintage Subs, which also adds to legibility and I think looks better too). These changes eliminate compromises from back in the day. In addition, improvements have been made to the movements over the years.

I've owned 2 Subs from the 1990s and currently own a 2005 16610LV Sub with hollow center links and a stamped steel clasp. They are very nice watches, but modern Subs have so many improvements that I find them really quite appealing compared to many of their competitors.

As for prices then versus now...prices of everything have gone up in the last 30 years, the competition's prices have gone up, your disposable income has probably gone up, and there have been lots of improvements in quality that at least partially justify the prices they command.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget who said it but "Hublot puts the whore in horology" or something like that. Some of their stuff seems interesting but only in a gaudy, show-off kind of way. Just me I guess.

In my view, I guess there is a time and a place for a Vegas / Miami watch. I don't know, I could see myself wearing this one at a restaurant on the beach eating some fish tacos.

I will say this - I would have to own a lot of watches before I bought this. As in, this may not be my 15th watch. But if my collection was extremely deep, I could see myself wearing this in place of, say, my orange monster.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well as much as I love Rolex watches and I've owned many, there were compromises with the old Subs, maybe you just didn't mind them. Modern Subs, and other steel models, have bracelets with solid center links, solid end links rather than hollow clam shells, a machined clasp and the glide lock adjustment/extension rather than a stamped steel clasp and extension link, and maxi dial lum (more like on vintage Subs, which also adds to legibility and I think looks better too). These changes eliminate compromises from back in the day. In addition, improvements have been made to the movements over the years.

I've owned 2 Subs from the 1990s and currently own a 2005 16610LV Sub with hollow center links and a stamped steel clasp. They are very nice watches, but modern Subs have so many improvements that I find them really quite appealing compared to many of their competitors.

As for prices then versus now...prices of everything have gone up in the last 30 years, the competition's prices have gone up, your disposable income has probably gone up, and there have been lots of improvements in quality that at least partially justify the prices they command.
I'm aware of the improvements, they just don't really matter to me as the watch I have personal experience with already does all I need and can take all I've thrown at it for 3 decades. Especially with a worse for me aesthetic, newer ones just don't hold any interest.

A strap question: Do any of you know of a maker (preferably European) who makes large scale alligator straps, non-raised, no interlining, totally flat - off the rack?

edit: last question may be better suited for the other thread, I'll re-post there.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corum would like a word...

1620227600303.jpeg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say this... I do not understand erotic watches. Like, I truly do not understand the appeal at all - and this is coming from a guy who just expressed interest in a yellow ceramic big bang.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll say this... I do not understand erotic watches. Like, I truly do not understand the appeal at all - and this is coming from a guy who just expressed interest in a yellow ceramic big bang.
I don't either. And when I imagine a typical person who would eagerly wear one of those watches, it's... not a person I would like to hang out with.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't either. And when I imagine a typical person who would eagerly wear one of those watches, it's... not a person I would like to hang out with.
I think it fits with @Newcomer 's Vegas/Miami comment. I could actually wear the bright yellow watch in some situations but not the other watches. I like Watch P0rn but not P0rn Watches.

(I had to put the zeroes in because SF substituted "appreciation" for "p0rn." :crazy:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we watched that when it came out. I think the gallery director was hung out to dry on that one.

of the most annoying people, though, was the useless trophy wife of that guy who got taken to the cleaners with that fake Rothko.
For myself, the jury is still out on the director. She may not have been 100% complicit, but I think she is 100% lying about being fooled. Nobody rises to Director of Knoedler Gallery by being 100% innocent or stupid. But yes, higher powers may have cut the tree branch on her, in which case the film didn't investigate deeply enough.

The Painted Word is a great essay. Tom Wolfe.
Well it sure is Tom Wolfe being Tom Wolfe. :wink:

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can appreciate lots of different types of watches (time only, chronographs, various complications), and even ones I wouldn't purchase for myself like gem set watches, it's still an art form to be able to do that. However, erotic watches no thanks. I've never understood the appeal of them.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ulysse Nardin has entered the chat

UN is really going downhill, faster than ever. :-(

How could they possibly have missed the golden opportunity to place a sweet date window smack dab at the intersection of...well...the intersection, when it was staring them right in the face. :puzzled:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads