• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an art collector and have been reading a lot about NFTs. I still don't understand them. A good part of the value of art lies in its exclusivity: it's in my house and I can view it at any time and you can't. Why do I want art that anybody can view?

Don’t people buy art and then loan it to museums all the time?

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be delighted if this thread evolved to include more discussion of brands that fall between the price points of the poor man’s watch thread, and the typically luxury brands discussed on the watch appreciation thread. I am thinking of brands such as Sinn, Oris, Nomos, and many others.
The other tricky thing is that, with a few notable exceptions (Nomos, Tudor, maybe Oris), I think the watches in the $1-$5k range are kind of boring.

I am really enjoying the Oris Whale Shark I bought a few weeks ago, as a great beach/summer weekend watch. Other than the unique dial, I really like the shape of the hands and how well the date window blends into the rest of the dial. At 43.5mm it's definitely at the outer edge of what I'd feel comfortable wearing without it appearing cartoonishly large.

I've actually started growing more interested in some of their Diver 65 line as a vintage-inspired diver that doesn't go the fauxtina route (too much WUS forum browsing). I might try one on next time I'm at the AD near my office, but I don't need another watch with a diver bezel. I'm focused on hopefully getting an Explorer next if it can be had in a reasonable timeframe.

X9ZIoHjh.jpg

X6CRgrNh.jpg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an art collector and have been reading a lot about NFTs. I still don't understand them. A good part of the value of art lies in its exclusivity: it's in my house and I can view it at any time and you can't. Why do I want art that anybody can view?
I do not understand the value of NFT artworks either, except as currently fashionable cash grabs. They are only air so far, often vapid, and offer a very limited and intangible experience. In the context of this thread, owning a NFT artwork is akin not to owning an actual Rolex/etc., but rather owning only some digital representation of a Rolex/etc. So what? That feels skin-deep at best, and disappointing over time.

Also, as far as investment value is concerned, I would guess there is a lot of risk in credibly understanding long-term appreciation versus potential precipitous devaluation, given the staggering prices some of these things are commanding so quickly these days versus the known impact of the artists themselves.

Regardless of economic value and/or exclusivity, the experience of art is the most important aspect, and so my version of your question is also:
"Why do I want art that nobody, myself included, can experience at all other than through the tyranny of a computer screen? Not from near and/or far, not by dusk and/or dawn light, not near this window versus on that wall, not in this room versus that one? Will the "NFT art revolution" only be televised?"

The constant, numb, boring sameness aspect of NFT art delivery is an issue that really perplexes me. NFT "architecture" is even more absurd. At least the chap with the 5,000 days collage ($70M sale price :eek2:) used some interesting images.

It is not the cost/"value" aspects that are disappointing (that is the case with so many things, certainly not only art) as much as it is the lack of real new and exciting work to date, which is surprising. Digital technology has been around a long time now. By comparison to that lack, for instance, in addition to building a profound body of work in more traditional painting techniques David Hockney also produced interesting and radical work not once but twice in his career, using widely available technology and machinery, once with the Polaroid camera and then again with Xerox machines. He both utilized the tool's full potential and bent it's capabilities to his vision.

No NFT artist that I know of has yet done that, really investigated, understood and then radically developed that relationship, between means of production, the artist's own language, and the resultant work. I am not sure that dialogue is even possible in "NFT-only art", whatever that is. Perhaps the machine/means of production has too much control in that realm, at least currently.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the wrist shots make it seem like nice watch guys all like to dress really snugly

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always felt art belongs to the world. Great art should be displayed in public and available to all. Okay, enough proselytizing…

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have many views on NFTs but one use case I like is the idea of patronage, instead of inefficient ways to support an artist you can literally give them hard currency directly and save them a lot of time and effort. Granted, I'm more interested in financing classical music which is naturally more public, so I don't think of art as personal ownership but as the genesis of something new and interesting for humanity (which happens to be associated with my name and that I can direct a little bit and enjoy with friends and family).

When you look at how little (basically, zero for most) artists get from Deezer or Spotify, alternative distribution channels become very attractive, especially given that NFTs tend to be issued in currencies that are naturally global if still today quite difficult to use for the layman (Coinbase etc. are changing that and with regulators finally paying attention who knows what 2022 onwards will have in store on that front).

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always felt art belongs to the world. Great art should be displayed in public and available to all. Okay, enough proselytizing…
I demand a free week's sail on that Saudi prince's yacht so I can see the Salvator Mundi in person...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I demand a free week's sail on that Saudi prince's yacht so I can see the Salvator Mundi in person...
Rich hoarders of art suck. They, of course, drive the art world, but they still suck. Wankers.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rich hoarders of art suck. They, of course, drive the art world, but they still suck. Wankers.
I lucked out...
My uncle is an artist and a collector, and when they bought their Laguna chateau that has many curved walls, a bunch of stuff went on permanent loan to me.
They're getting old, and I don't think they remember half of what I have.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lucked out...
My uncle is an artist and a collector, and when they bought their Laguna chateau that has many curved walls, a bunch of stuff went on permanent loan to me.
They're getting old, and I don't think they remember half of what I have.
9C585361-58DE-4422-874D-760B1904A713.jpeg

TomTom

Reaction score
Rainbow trumps the leppard. 5 times as expensive
Cage doesn't have it.

118662464_346677953127124_1544079273074505860_n.jpg

nobody on sf has it either. endofstory
Don't trust anybody with face tattoos ..unless they are a Maori or a Polynesian warrior.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads