• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other tricky thing is that, with a few notable exceptions (Nomos, Tudor, maybe Oris), I think the watches in the $1-$5k range are kind of boring. I feel like it's a huge dead zone and personally I would look to watches like Seiko, Hamilton, Tissot, etc. before I bought something in this zone.
Lots of great German watches in that category. Muhle Glashutte, Sinn, Archimede, Stowa, Nomos, Meistersinger.

I’ve been looking that way and considering my Sub as “job well done” and calling it a day for luxury stuff.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like a lot may depend on the model and if you could get it at retail. 1k-10k seems like a relatively reasonable range to accomplish the idea of something like a mid-range bucket - Don’t get me wrong, 10 isn’t a cheap watch, but it’s relatively attainable IF it’s your thing and you’re saving up to grab one piece. That range would catch everything from say OP, DJ, Sub (if you can find it or 2nd hand) but could also drop down into say Tag/Oris/Sinn which sounds about right to me.
To inform the discussion, this link is to the most recent sales, and average retail price, per brand. I am interested in this market, but, as always, there are a lot of surprises when looking at the actual data, versus the perceptions I get from reading about the brands on boards.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That they aren't making them (or any of their watches, actually) as good looking as they used to.

All IMHO, if that isn't obvious.

I'm not usually a "this is just wrong" type of guy, but this is just wrong. (Haha...). I get you - with the maxicases on subs and gmts, but since 2019(?) the DJ shape reverted to its former, svelter self, so...c'mon

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To inform the discussion, this link is to the most recent sales, and average retail price, per brand. I am interested in this market, but, as always, there are a lot of surprises when looking at the actual data, versus the perceptions I get from reading about the brands on boards.

The most shocking information is that Richard Mille is #7. Overpriced monstrosities whose primary purpose is to signal that you're really, really rich to other really, really rich people.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not usually a "this is just wrong" type of guy, but this is just wrong. (Haha...). I get you - with the maxicases on subs and gmts, but since 2019(?) the DJ shape reverted to its former, svelter self, so...c'mon
Granted, the 126234 is rather nice. There are just details that I prefer on earlier models and at the prices these command now, I don't feel like compromising on aesthetics. I mean, I paid $1615 for my sub when it was new, with no compromise in sight ;-)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, this range is good for microbrands if you like them. I have an Oak and Oscar and the new Aquastar Deepstar re-issue, both of which were just under $3K.
What is it that you find compelling about those particular watches, at $3K, which is significant money if one includes also excellent used/mint watches?

I do not know enough about them but have generally never really understood what a "microbrand" actually is and wants to be. "Small" brands, like many @smiitycl listed above, OK, very clear; but "microbrands" I see seem often pretty generic but wanting to dress themselves in some kind of extra marketing cachet that I do not understand or see that much interest or value in 99% of the time. But, again, I have not followed that segment much and may be really not "getting it".

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most shocking information is that Richard Mille is #7. Overpriced monstrosities whose primary purpose is to signal that you're really, really rich to other really, really rich people.

people get rich to the point where they start to run out of things on which to spend their money.

That’s when Banksy, NFT’s, Bijan and Richard Mille come in.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Granted, the 126234 is rather nice. There are just details that I prefer on earlier models and at the prices these command now, I don't feel like compromising on aesthetics. I mean, I paid $1615 for my sub when it was new, with no compromise in sight ;-)
I could first afford a Sub in 1989 when they were $1300 retail but I had to pay damn tuition and rent. Then I graduated and got married, kids followed, and watch was postponed. Thankfully was stationed in Germany in 2000 and found one in Europe for around $3k. Wifey allowed me to purchase and I got her a similarly-priced diamond ring as a 10th Anniversary present. There is such balance in Nature.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And holy hell, what was AP thinking here...
I can't see how this does anything but crap on their brand.
1620171845183.png

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could first afford a Sub in 1989 when they were $1300 retail but I had to pay damn tuition and rent. Then I graduated and got married, kids followed, and watch was postponed. Thankfully was stationed in Germany in 2000 and found one in Europe for around $3k. Wifey allowed me to purchase and I got her a similarly-priced diamond ring as a 10th Anniversary present. There is such balance in Nature.
Even with no other obligations apart from rent, It did take some months of saving to get to mine in '91. The 5% discount from the AD helped a bit.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even with no other obligations apart from rent, It did take some months of saving to get to mine in '91. The 5% discount from the AD helped a bit.

inctedible to think there was a time you could get a discount on that watch.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
people get rich to the point where they start to run out of things on which to spend their money.

That’s when Banksy, NFT’s, Bijan and Richard Mille come in.
I'm an art collector and have been reading a lot about NFTs. I still don't understand them. A good part of the value of art lies in its exclusivity: it's in my house and I can view it at any time and you can't. Why do I want art that anybody can view?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads