• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's considered middle class? Some people consider Omega/Rolex middle class while others consider them upper class.
Omega is for the poors!

(Before anyone comes for me, it's a joke based on the first post in the PMWT.)

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's considered middle class? Some people consider Omega/Rolex middle class while others consider them upper class.
Seems like a lot may depend on the model and if you could get it at retail. 1k-10k seems like a relatively reasonable range to accomplish the idea of something like a mid-range bucket - Don’t get me wrong, 10 isn’t a cheap watch, but it’s relatively attainable IF it’s your thing and you’re saving up to grab one piece. That range would catch everything from say OP, DJ, Sub (if you can find it or 2nd hand) but could also drop down into say Tag/Oris/Sinn which sounds about right to me.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other tricky thing is that, with a few notable exceptions (Nomos, Tudor, maybe Oris), I think the watches in the $1-$5k range are kind of boring. I feel like it's a huge dead zone and personally I would look to watches like Seiko, Hamilton, Tissot, etc. before I bought something in this zone.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tissot, to me, is the poster boy for extremely boring watches.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about the Globemaster? I looked at it recently and think it's quite handsome...

View attachment 1604074
I agree with other comments that that dial color looks (in the photograph at least) truly spectacular, but that the watch overall has too many other letdown aspects. This blue model is more interesting to me than the white-dial in the comparison video, but in both cases it feels as if opportunities were lost, and in the process the original power of the great pie-pan dials not really maintained, certainly not improved.

But nonetheless an alert and good suggestion for Urban Composition to consider.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was just what came to mind when he lamented the lack of current production Omega pie pans. Though I'm pretty sure he (understandably) meant something with a more vintage vibe.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe. I guess my point is that I don't see a huge jump in quality between the Tissots and Hamiltons compared to many of the watches in the $1-3k range. It's just a big bunch of watches with ETA or Sellita movements and the only difference is what individual people find aesthetically appealing. It's all good, I just don't think it is a situation that leads to much interesting conversation.

(I happen to own a Hamilton, a Tissot, a Longines and an Archimede, and have in the past owned Seikos. Nothing wrong with any of them, they just aren't that interesting to talk about).

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that Rolex used to do the DJ aesthetic best, but since they can't be bothered to offer that anymore, the solution may be to look elsewhere ;-)

But, as noted above, I dislike enough things about this watch that it isn't in serious consideration for me - it was mostly offered up as a current production pie pan for UrbanComp.
You’re saying Rolex used to be good at making Datejusts but now cannot produce them anymore? What am I missing here?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That they aren't making them (or any of their watches, actually) as good looking as they used to.

All IMHO, if that isn't obvious.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I guess my point is that I don't see a huge jump in quality between the Tissots and Hamiltons compared to many of the watches in the $1-3k range. It's just a big bunch of watches with ETA or Sellita movements and the only difference is what individual people find aesthetically appealing. It's all good, I just don't think it is a situation that leads to much interesting conversation.

(I happen to own a Hamilton, a Tissot, a Longines and an Archimede, and have in the past owned Seikos. Nothing wrong with any of them, they just aren't that interesting to talk about).
I find some of the stuff in that range to be pretty interesting.
Monta, Christopher Ward, Direnzo and others.
It's when you get down to the NH35 watches that it seems super derivative.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tissot is definitely on there, but the "extremely boring watches poster" does not, cannot possibly, feature only one single shining star; it is much more like a K-Pop boy band meets Whitesnake meets Boston Pops Orchestra ensemble cast extravaganza.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other tricky thing is that, with a few notable exceptions (Nomos, Tudor, maybe Oris), I think the watches in the $1-$5k range are kind of boring. I feel like it's a huge dead zone and personally I would look to watches like Seiko, Hamilton, Tissot, etc. before I bought something in this zone.
I find some of the stuff in that range to be pretty interesting.
Monta, Christopher Ward, Direnzo and others.
It's when you get down to the NH35 watches that it seems super derivative.
I agree, this range is good for microbrands if you like them. I have an Oak and Oscar and the new Aquastar Deepstar re-issue, both of which were just under $3K.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads