• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

officine

Reaction score
Omega Enthusiast has some really nice pieces. I checked them out to get some ideas, and also to gauge how much of a premium one pays for "outsourcing." Wouldn't you know they are selling a piece that is the exact same - same caliber, same year - as my very first Chrono24 vintage purchase:

dea6ce_31d08c6984a94248be098764ab982cd5~mv2.jpg

Mine:

IMG_8157.jpg

So, what is the premium for outsourcing the diligence? The site has a suggested price of $2350. I purchased mine for $1050.

To be fair, Omega Enthusiast also claims to perform a cleaning, service and regulation. That's approximately a $400-$500 value. I assume there is a limited performance warranty (perhaps a year), which also has a monetary value.

All in all, I think the pieces are fairly priced if someone is looking to outsource diligence and limit their risk.
C5F5A691-42D3-4BEC-8523-BBC7B7010AC1.jpeg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice video on the Globemaster:

I love the Globemaster and think its a great piece. However, the design is really let down by the bracelet. If they come up with a more compelling/ fitting bracelet and slim down the case thickness a little bit, I would probably be in the market.

Maybe I'll write them and suggest a special edition...

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Omega, but that cover image (comparison) is not doing them any favors imo...
I actually think it comes off favourably in this comparison as I hate those fat lumed markers on the DJ (they make the hands look anemic, and the answer wouldn't be fatter hands). Though overall, I'd prefer an older DJ or OP.

I love the Globemaster and think its a great piece. However, the design is really let down by the bracelet. If they come up with a more compelling/ fitting bracelet and slim down the case thickness a little bit, I would probably be in the market.
I haven't checked it IRL, but going by photos I rather like the bracelet. But I would probably wear it mostly on a strap.

Maybe I'll write them and suggest a special edition...
Please do. And ask them to make me one too, with a 2mm smaller case, no date and no 'CO-AXIAL' text.

Oh, and no pie pan :hide:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about the Globemaster? I looked at it recently and think it's quite handsome...

View attachment 1604074

Cool dial color, rest of the watch ...meh! I don't see the point of buying an Omega that looks like a Datejust variation. I think the Railmaster is a far better looking watch and it doesn't look like it's trying to be another brand.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool dial color, rest of the watch ...meh! I don't see the point of buying an Omega that looks like a Datejust variation. I think the Railmaster is a far better looking watch and it doesn't look like it's trying to be another brand.
I agree that Rolex used to do the DJ aesthetic best, but since they can't be bothered to offer that anymore, the solution may be to look elsewhere ;-)

But, as noted above, I dislike enough things about this watch that it isn't in serious consideration for me - it was mostly offered up as a current production pie pan for UrbanComp.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually think it comes off favourably in this comparison as I hate those fat lumed markers on the DJ (they make the hands look anemic, and the answer wouldn't be fatter hands). Though overall, I'd prefer an older DJ or OP.

The material, finish and proportions of the omega bezel look really bad compared to the DJ. I have a 36mm DJ and the lumed markers are one of the features I most enjoy. Anyway, I like the omega, but not over a DJ (36mm)

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Omega. Rolex used to do a much slimmer fluted bezel and I preferred the overall proportions on those older watches. The additional chunkiness of these newer Rolexes feels like a corollary of the (look at my) big watch trend.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Omega. Rolex used to do a much slimmer fluted bezel and I preferred the overall proportions on those older watches. The additional chunkiness of these newer Rolexes feels like a corollary of the (look at my) big watch trend.

Actually, the latest DJ case does have slimmer silhouette than the previous iteration. Also, the DJ still comes in classic 36mm and the Omega does not, so perhaps you have misplaced the big-watch correlation?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess my point is that in the video we are referring to, they had to pick the uglier, less classic DJ (40/41?) in order to even have it remotely equate to the Omega (notwithstanding the be bezel). If they were to compare a 36mm DJ (126234) - which has very different proportions to the 40 - with the Omega, it would just be a much different convo, no?

People looking at the big DJ and saying “I wish it were like the classic DJ...” can just opt for the 36...?

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the point of this break off thread? This is exactly the same as the as the Watch Appreciation Thread. Why do you guys post here? I finally bothered to read this, and it is the exact same discussion (minus TheFoo). radicaldog has not made anything new despite his original post. So why do the normal members bother? I don't get it. Who wants to have watch conversations in parallel. Who does this benefit?
It is early days yet, content and approach may still evolve. This thread has 444 comments vs. 27191 on the watch appreciation thread, which has certain “grooves’ worn into it.

I would be delighted if this thread evolved to include more discussion of brands that fall between the price points of the poor man’s watch thread, and the typically luxury brands discussed on the watch appreciation thread. I am thinking of brands such as Sinn, Oris, Nomos, and many others.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be delighted if this thread evolved to include more discussion of brands that fall between the price points of the poor man’s watch thread, and the typically luxury brands discussed on the watch appreciation thread. I am thinking of brands such as Sinn, Oris, Nomos, and many others.
The Middle-Class Man's Watch Thread?

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Middle-Class Man's Watch Thread?
Interesting, not a bad idea, but not precisely what I was thinking; rather more discussion of mid price brands. I am active on some watch boards, where there are plenty of people who own Rolex and also appreciate Sinn. I think Hodinkee's founder wrote a while ago that Nomos was making "haute horology" available to the masses (read "a broader audience" to avoid coming across too Marie Antoinette).

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's considered middle class? Some people consider Omega/Rolex middle class while others consider them upper class.

A common definition of middle class is households between the 25th and 75th annual income percentiles. In the US that would be between $35-120k. Or you could choose the 50th percentile as an “average” American household, which would be $68k. I’d guess not many households with that income would buy Rolexes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads