• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's called Glidelock, and all the Subs and Deepsea's have them, after a certain date...
Pre-glidelock bracelets still have micro adjust, but via spring bar tool...

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do all Rolex subs have that micro-adjust?

No glide lock thingy on my 5 digit sub, but ever since going on a beach vacation a little over a year ago, so in the final days of the before times, I've worn it on an Eulit Perlon strap, which not only gives it (near) infinite adjustment options, but also makes it extremely comfortable to wear.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just make sure to dive in warm water that doesn't require a full wet suit! I mean, I'm not 25 anymore doing night dives in full kit..

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Tourneau in the City to test drive some sport watches, and I’m glad I did. Tried the Tudor Black Bay, Omega Seamaster, and the Rolex sub. Out of them all, the Rolex was less bulky on my wrist. In particular the Black Bay stood higher, and the Omega seemed to stretch across my wrist farther.

I just wish the Rolex wasn’t $10k, but I do like it.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Tourneau in the City to test drive some sport watches, and I’m glad I did. Tried the Tudor Black Bay, Omega Seamaster, and the Rolex sub. Out of them all, the Rolex was less bulky on my wrist. In particular the Black Bay stood higher, and the Omega seemed to stretch across my wrist farther.

The brand new Black Bay that just came out is a little thinner than the previous, so depending on which you tried on...
I'm not a Rolex fanboy, but if any of those 3 were in my Christmas stocking, I'd be pretty happy.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And if it was the Sub, with apologies to the gf, I'd immediately flip it, buy a Black Bay.
With the rest of the money I'd spend a couple weeks checking out the Amalfi coast while Meccariello lasted my feet...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tudor Black Bay 58 is much slimmer than first gen Black Bay.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There’s a saying that “The most expensive watch is the one you buy instead of the one you really want.” If you like the Rolex, buy it.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the Sub, though, you’re just going to get it down the line, so kiss your 10k goodbye...haha...once you enter these waters, your calibrations of cost can quickly become distorted...(good luck!)

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the new Black Bay, and did like it...if only it stood a millimeter or two shorter. I’d have bought it instantly.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Buy what you love. A friend of mine would always buy a less expensive substitute, wear it 6 months to a year, and lose money as it depreciated. Then if the price of what he originally wanted went up in the mean time, he got double screwed both by depreciation and price increases. Then when he bought what he truly wanted, he ended up spending more than what it would have cost to buy the one he truly wanted from the start.

I tend to obsess about items I want so a substitution would never work for me. There's no point in buying my second choice knowing I won't be able to get the watch I really want out of my head until I have one on my wrist.

Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

think about the money you’ll blow on dumb **** over the course of a few years. Now imagine having spent it on a watch you really want.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the new Black Bay, and did like it...if only it stood a millimeter or two shorter. I’d have bought it instantly.

Dude, there IS that exact watch = Black Bay 58. The “fifty eight” is what you want. It’s a slim version of the Black Bay you tried on. It's a different model. (I have Rolex Sub and Black Bay 58...the Black Bay 58 is slimmer)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads