• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That photograph wears as well as that watch does. ?
Thanks. The photo is from the top of Ben Nevis, after walking the West Highland Way, a 150k route in Scotland. Ben Nevis is the highest point in the British Isles - so not actually that high, but it does has some nice top of a mountain scenery.
1618918079549.png

1618918091089.png

1618918102289.png

1618918115852.png

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Rolex rocks.
My friends and I were talking about it. While I agree that it is a nice watch, we all were in agreement that the price is over inflated at this point. I mean it used to be 6-8k for Rolex submariner and now it is 15k due to demand.

hence people buying Tudor which is just as nice and cost fraction and owned by Rolex. I was personally really impressed with Black Bay 58 when I saw one of my friends wearing one

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friends and I were talking about it. While I agree that it is a nice watch, we all were in agreement that the price is over inflated at this point. I mean it used to be 6-8k for Rolex submariner and now it is 15k due to demand.

hence people buying Tudor which is just as nice and cost fraction and owned by Rolex. I was personally really impressed with Black Bay 58 when I saw one of my friends wearing one
Yeah, Submariner prices are out of control and Rolex is likely lying when they say that are not keeping production numbers intentionally low.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the MSRP is still $8000, but yes, due to demand it’s twice that.

This time last year oil producers were paying $40/barrel for people to take the oil off their hands. Today, oil is around $66/barrel. Are oil prices inflated?

Prices in a market are discovered, not set. To you it may be inflated but to someone who wants one? Well.....

stdavidshead

Reaction score
if you think you’re better than someone because you don’t buy Rolex, you’re also an asshole.

I have been this person. I now own a Rolex.

the MSRP is still $8000, but yes, due to demand it’s twice that.

This time last year oil producers were paying $40/barrel for people to take the oil off their hands. Today, oil is around $66/barrel. Are oil prices inflated?

Prices in a market are discovered, not set. To you it may be inflated but to someone who wants one? Well.....

While I agree with the sentiment here, I'm not keen on the analogy. Oil is a commodity. Watches are a matter of personal taste.

A few years ago when I was looking for my first nice watch, I set my heart on an Omega Aqua Terra. As I mentioned above, I had stupid preconceived notions about Rolex and the people who own them. It seemed ridiculous to me that comparable Rolex models were substantially more expensive despite "inferior" movements. While I considered other brands, I didn't really spend much time considering Rolex.

When I finally got to an Omega boutique and tried an AT on, I felt... nothing. I took a couple pictures of the watch on my wrist and went home to think. Over the next few weeks it became clear to me that it wasn't the watch for me. I didn't dislike the AT per se, it just inspired deep apathy. Anyways, you can guess the rest of the story. I got over my hangups and ended up with the 39mm Explorer, which I wear every day.

Looking at Chrono24, one could essentially buy two ATs for the price of one Explorer. It's pretty hard to justify that price gap. But then, it's pretty hard to justify buying any watch at this or higher price points when there are so many more accurate and inexpensive ways of telling time. I think selecting a watch, like any other article of clothing, is more of an emotional process than a utility-per-dollar calculation.

Last edited:

dc_slicker

Reaction score
A bit of speculation... but do you think we are seeing a Rolex bubble and eventually Rolex will go down in price to adjust to where it is ought to be at around 6-8k or it will only keep going up now as Rolex does not seem to be producing many of them and I feel the main focus now is to make Tudor watches more desirable... hence BB58 and others

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit of speculation... but do you think we are seeing a Rolex bubble and eventually Rolex will go down in price to adjust to where it is ought to be at around 6-8k or it will only keep going up now as Rolex does not seem to be producing many of them and I feel the main focus now is to make Tudor watches more desirable... hence BB58 and others
People have been saying this is a bubble for the past 4 or 5 years. I don't think we'll see a huge decrease. I just don't think the prices will continue to skyrocket as fast.

ronscuba

Reaction score
I think the grey market price will go down, the MSRP will go up.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the grey market price will go down, the MSRP will go up.

The cynic in me says that's been the strategic plan all along and at that point supply will magically reappear. The market may be what the market is, but that doesn't mean that it can't be manipulated on the supply side. Whatever one wants to say about Rolex, there are a few truisms. They're smart. They play the long game. They don't answer to anyone. And absolutely zero #%@^s will be given towards anyone else as they do what's best for Rolex.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Hulk Rolex surely is nice. But it is hard to find hence even more overpriced

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like what Blaken are doing with Rolex
limited editions yum

rocketbyz_500.png

slide_28.jpg

and especially
vintage recreations

newman daytona

paul-newman-daytona-iii_400.png

vintage submariner

vintage-submariner_400.png

so much win
something that really stands out and yet is a rolex

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The photo is from the top of Ben Nevis, after walking the West Highland Way, a 150k route in Scotland. Ben Nevis is the highest point in the British Isles - so not actually that high, but it does has some nice top of a mountain scenery.
Yes, I remember the photo well. I think you posted it and the BN story some time ago here and/or in the other thread. It is a beautiful image. I think you posted other photographs from that trek at the same time. Good stuff. ?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I agree with the sentiment here, I'm not keen on the analogy. Oil is a commodity. Watches are a matter of personal taste.

Yes but when people want the watch to flip it or use it as a commodity to barter for something else, then it becomes, for all intents and purposes, a commodity. Sort of the way art is viewed by some “collectors”.

stdavidshead

Reaction score
Yes but when people want the watch to flip it or use it as a commodity to barter for something else, then it becomes, for all intents and purposes, a commodity. Sort of the way art is viewed by some “collectors”.

I interpreted your original comment to mean that Rolexes aren't overvalued. They're worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. I agree that Rolexes aren't overvalued, but am nitpicking on the comparison to oil.

First, just to clarify on what I meant by "commodity": it is indisputable that watches are commodities in the sense that there is a market for them (watches, art and oil all share this). But a watches aren't commodities in the sense that they are differentiated articles. A watch isn't a watch in the same way that a barrel of oil is a barrel of oil.

The difference between oil and watches is that one has intrinsic value and the other doesn't. Oil is perhaps the most basic input of economic activity, but in the past year has traded between 60-something and less than zero dollars. The price of something does not (necessarily) represent its intrinsic value. So it's possible to say that oil is over- or undervalued at some price and be objectively right or wrong (though being right is obviously very, very difficult.)

But since watches don't have intrinsic value, it's not meaningful to talk about them being over- or undervalued. Particularly since anyone actually concerned with the most utility (in this case, telling the time) for the least money could spend considerably less than what even an "entry level" Swiss watch like my Explorer costs.

What I'm really trying to say: if you like a certain watch, buy that watch. Don't buy a watch because it's "better value" than another watch you like more.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Submariner prices are out of control and Rolex is likely lying when they say that are not keeping production numbers intentionally low.

I don't know if it is Rolex as much as ADs. From a few things I've seen, some people who have worked for ADs said ADs still get in sports watches, but they now keep them all in the vault. Selling them just to "What they deem are good customers" or maybe occasionally selling one to a walk in, perhaps if things are slow. We are unlikely to ever know just how much is Rolex production or the ADs.

People have been saying this is a bubble for the past 4 or 5 years. I don't think we'll see a huge decrease. I just don't think the prices will continue to skyrocket as fast.

Agreed. I don't think the so called "Bubble" will burst. I think at best things might drop a little, but I highly doubt they will return to the prices they were several years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads