• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There sure are a lot of people who don't care about Rolex talking about Rolex. This thread is kind of a microcosm of why I don't really follow wristwatches anymore. Wristwatch threads always seem to cover why Rolex is meh and if you must get one you need to get a vintage sub or at least one before they were ruined by changing something or other. Followed by "Omega is more better". Also the "Tudor is better than Rolex" refrain. Pretty soon, someone will start likening watch brands to car brands.

At this point, I wear my 16600 Sea Dweller or GMT IIC about 90% of the time because those are the ones I like most. Sometimes I'll wear my Speedmaster or IWC Flieger Chrono for a while. But I haven't worn a dress watch for a couple years other than to pull one out of storage and make sure it still runs. I should probably pare my collection down but I still like to pull them out of storage and play with them.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolex rocks.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am the guy with the Bvlgari. For me, there is a big difference between showing off visually vs verbally. I have other watches I am sure people consider flashy. I am aware how watch enthusiasts look down at fashion/jewelry brand watches. I don't really care about stuff like that. I buy what I like and you will never hear me talk down to someone or talk up myself due to the watch we are wearing.

If I chose to buy and wear a watch as a statement, I want the statement to be about my style, not my bank account.

Agreed, the issue is not the watch, but the obnoxious people. I find most Rolex watches visually uninteresting and prefer to wear something less mass produced, less well known. So add in my experiences with obnoxious people wearing Rolex, makes the brand even less appealing to me when choosing what to buy. I have good friends and relatives that own and like Rolex. The brand is just not for me.

I can completely understand that Rolex isn't the brand for everyone, and that you find them visually uninteresting. I can also understand wanting something that is as you said less, mass produced and less well known.

Perhaps Rolex ends up on the wrists of some obnoxious people because the brand is so well known, and they produce so many watches each year. Still, I know a lot of people that wear them who are really nice people.

People show off verbally about lots of things they own- cars, boats, watches, clothes etc. Talking down to others because of their choice of car, watch, clothes, etc...is a deficiency in the person talking down to others, not really something to do with the brand.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I like the look of vintage watches. (Often prefer vintage for many things, but don't always have the opportunity or ability to buy depending on the item).

i like vintage, and have had good luck with my vintage omega. But you have tk be a bit more careful/do your research on vintage pieces. Lots can go wrong there. Purchase from a reputable dealer even if it costs 20-30% more.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of vintage watches. (Often prefer vintage for many things, but don't always have the opportunity or ability to buy depending on the item).

I have been a watch collector for about 15 years, and over that time, I acquired some nice watches and pieces I loved. Our house was burgaled a few years ago and we were relieved of our watches and jewelry. I was wearing the Rolex Explorer (vintage) I bought when my daughter was born, so I still have that. The only watch they didnt take, was this:

1618877523369.png

I bought this watch in 2008 to celebrate a new job. It isnt very expensive, and has a work horse ETA movement in it that is basic and reliable. There is nothing to highlight in the marketing materials and they are readily available for purchase at many retailers. With that said, I think this watch might have the best looking dial I have ever seen. The Speedmaster Pro is certainly up there for best dial layout, but this watch is just beautiful to me.

While they make it in a larger size, the 38 mm is perfect for a field watch, and this one wouldnt look out of place with tailoring or knitwear and denim. I think this would be a great companion for your dad's Datejust if you're in the market.

When I saw that the thieves had left this watch for me, I was really relieved. It would have been the most easily replaceable watch in my collection, but it was somehow comforting to still have it. Good luck with your search.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been a watch collector for about 15 years, and over that time, I acquired some nice watches and pieces I loved. Our house was burgaled a few years ago and we were relieved of our watches and jewelry. I was wearing the Rolex Explorer (vintage) I bought when my daughter was born, so I still have that. The only watch they didnt take, was this:

View attachment 1596450

I bought this watch in 2008 to celebrate a new job. It isnt very expensive, and has a work horse ETA movement in it that is basic and reliable. There is nothing to highlight in the marketing materials and they are readily available for purchase at many retailers. With that said, I think this watch might have the best looking dial I have ever seen. The Speedmaster Pro is certainly up there for best dial layout, but this watch is just beautiful to me.

While they make it in a larger size, the 38 mm is perfect for a field watch, and this one wouldnt look out of place with tailoring or knitwear and denim. I think this would be a great companion for your dad's Datejust if you're in the market.

When I saw that the thieves had left this watch for me, I was really relieved. It would have been the most easily replaceable watch in my collection, but it was somehow comforting to still have it. Good luck with your search.
A long time vendor rep that services my company told me he wanted to get a nice watch and asked me for advice, as he has no watch knowledge.
I told him Hamilton was a perfect gateway drug.
In particular, I really like the Khaki King.
1618878284100.png

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A long time vendor rep that services my company told me he wanted to get a nice watch and asked me for advice, as he has no watch knowledge.
I told him Hamilton was a perfect gateway drug.
In particular, I really like the Khaki King.
View attachment 1596457

I wore a khaki king for a decade as my only watch. It was perfectly good enough.

as far as Rolex goes, if you think you’re better than someone because you have a Rolex, you’re an asshole.

if you think you’re better than someone because you don’t buy Rolex, you’re also an asshole.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my go-to summer watch. I've always thought Hamilton was a great brand.

1618879383218.png

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about buying a Rolex Submariner

That's a splendid idea. For your use, I'd definitely pick one of the pre maxi case and maxi dial iterations, like the 14060 recommended by @9thsymph.

Incidentally, I'm coming up on 30 years of ownership of mine. Five years ago I wrote a bit about how I chose it - it's over here.

Alternatively, I would be happy to recommend this one as well:

1618880567051.png

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you strip away all of the perceived baggage of owning a Rolex, the submariner is a pretty austere watch.

ronscuba

Reaction score
When you strip away all of the perceived baggage of owning a Rolex, the submariner is a pretty austere watch.
I think you could say that about a lot of watches and brands. I tend towards a little more style/flash even with dress watches. I'd buy a Breguet Classique before a Patek or Vacheron.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a splendid idea. For your use, I'd definitely pick one of the pre maxi case and maxi dial iterations, like the 14060 recommended by @9thsymph.

Incidentally, I'm coming up on 30 years of ownership of mine. Five years ago I wrote a bit about how I chose it - it's over here.

Alternatively, I would be happy to recommend this one as well:

View attachment 1596495
That photograph wears as well as that watch does. ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads