• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

ronscuba

Reaction score
I would put it this way. Not everyone who wears a Rolex does so to show off and impress others, but of those who do wear a watch to show off and impress others, Rolex is the bright burningflame to that particular group of moths. Personally, when I meet someone in a Rolex, I like to think they're the better group unless they prove otherwise.
Agreed. When I see or meet someone for the 1st time, the starting point is to respect them as a polite, cool, nice person. Where it goes from there is up to them.

People who want to show off and impress others. Do they want to show off their good visual taste and sense of style or do they want to show off they can afford to own an expensive watch ?

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An amazing woman shared an important lesson with me (it fits into this Rolex conversation). "To generalize is to be ignorant."
I wear sexy attire and shoes for the ladies. I receive my fair share of compliments about my shoes, trousers, and dress shirts. I wear a watch for the second most important person in the world (you guessed correct. me). No one notices my watches because no one gives a **** about them (except a watch enthusiast).
rubberB.jpg

ronscuba

Reaction score
An amazing woman shared an important lesson with me (it fits into this Rolex conversation). "To generalize is to be ignorant."
I wear sexy attire and shoes for the ladies. I receive my fair share of compliments about my shoes, trousers, and dress shirts. I wear a watch for the second most important person in the world (you guessed correct. me). No one notices my watches because no one gives a **** about them (except a watch enthusiast).
View attachment 1596348
A watch can look generic and blend in or look flashy and stand out. You have to look close to see the watch brand, but different visual features can make a watch stand out. Polished gold, polished steel, interesting strap, non standard shape, bigger watches, etc..

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
View attachment 1596348

its funny, even as a watch enthusiast to some degree, when I see somebody wearing a watch and try to get a closer look at it, I usually can’t tell what it is.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its funny, even as a watch enthusiast to some degree, when I see somebody wearing a watch and try to get a closer look at it, I usually can’t tell what it is.

Same here. I also get as many compliments from non-watch people for my $300 beater as I do for my PO GMT.

da0awX.md.jpg

HPaHle.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How often do you all see a nice mechanical watch in the wild? I don't see that many in DC outside of a Redbar event (maybe I'm running in the wrong circles), and the ones I do see are invariably the Rolex Sub. My neighbor has a nice Reverso, and he was able to identify my Blancpain Aqualung, which is quite a feat.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often do you all see a nice mechanical watch in the wild? I don't see that many in DC outside of a Redbar event (maybe I'm running in the wrong circles), and the ones I do see are invariably the Rolex Sub. My neighbor has a nice Reverso, and he was able to identify my Blancpain Aqualung, which is quite a feat.

At my office, daily - JLC, two or three datejusts, a Sub, a Speedy, a Patek and one guy with 3 ALS

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can usually identify AP RO, AP ROO, most Rolex, Cartier (maybe not the specific watch but can tell that it's a Cartier), and Patek Nautilus without a problem.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I can usually identify AP RO, AP ROO, most Rolex, Cartier (maybe not the specific watch but can tell that it's a Cartier), and Patek Nautilus without a problem.

oh don’t get me wrong, there are certainly plenty I can identify on the spot.
but in any given day if I see 10 peoples watches and try to identify them (not that this is a typical day LOL), maybe I identify 2 or 3 of them? Maybe?
Granted it might have to do with many watches you see in the wild are not necessarily ones that should be readily identifiable?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Older military folks seem to love Subs, Speedys, and GMT Masters. Alpha Male watches as you might imagine. I once saw a USAF one-star with a Breitling aviation watch with a custom dial made for his B1 Squadron. Kinda cool.

Also, I've never see seen an actual pilot wearing an IWC Big Pilot.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen and experienced people bragging about their Rolex, telling my wife she should have gotten a Rolex like theirs instead of a Cartier because Rolex has better re-sale value. Asking me what kind of watch I am wearing ? Where is your Rolex ? I feel if I got a Rolex, I would be "joining the club", which is totally not what I want to do because I really dislike that kind of behavior.

I prefer someone compliment my watch itself vs. the brand. I like having watches and watch brands less known and less common than Rolex. I like to be a little different and visually, I like other watches more than Rolex.

Yes, but having that issue because of one or two people that like and own a Rolex and were obnoxious, seems a bit much. If you live like that you can't buy a car if they have one and say its better than yours, or you can't wear a clothing brand if they have it and say it's the best.

It's not just Rolex people, I've met people with high end brands that are obnoxious. I've told the story before, but I was at a watch club gathering, when some guy about 40 made a comment, I only talk to people wearing Langes or FPJs. At first I thought he was joking. But he wasn't . Needless to say that comment didn't help him make any friends or give him lots of people to chat with.

Also, IIRC, you have one of the Bvlgari-Bvlgari watches with the name around the bezel. If you aren't that guy I apologize. I happen to like that design, it's a very iconic Genta piece. However, a lot of people here at SF and on other forums see it as flashy and for show offs.

Personally, I buy what I like and don't care what others think. I'm the one who is going to wear it not them. If they weren't going to talk to me or like me for a watch or something else I own, screw them, they probably weren't the kind of people I'd want to be associated with anyway.

I think it's reasonable to not want to wear something because it's associated with certain people. People often build a wardrobe around an idea of personal and tribal identity. I'm just not immersed enough in watch culture to have a strong view about Rolexes. Mostly want one because my dad had one.

Try on lots of watches. See what fits your style. Definitely try on a Sub, since that was something you were interested in from the start. If it's not for you, you have at least tried it on and it won't be in the back of your mind that you didn't try or really give one of your 1st choices a chance. In the end, buy what you like, and enjoy it. You'll never please everyone with your watch choice, but the only person you need to please with it is yourself.

Last edited:

ronscuba

Reaction score
Yes, but having that issue because of one or two people that like and own a Rolex and were obnoxious. If you live like that you can't buy a car if they have one and say its better than yours, or you can't wear a clothing brand if they have it and say it's the best.

It's not just Rolex people, I've met people with high end brands that are obnoxious. I've told the story before, but I was at a watch club gathering, when some guy about 40 made a comment, I only talk to people wearing Langes or FPJs. At first I thought he was joking. But he wasn't . Needless to say that comment didn't help him make any friends or give him lots of people to chat with.

Also, IIRC, you have one of the Bvlgari-Bvlgari watches with the name around the bezel. If you aren't that guy I apologize. I happen to like that design, it's a very iconic Genta piece. However, a lot of people here at SF and on other forums see it as flashy and for show offs.

Personally, I buy what I like and don't care what others think. I'm the one who is going to wear it not them. If they weren't going to talk to me or like me for a watch or something else I own, screw them, they probably weren't the kind of people I'd want to be associated with anyway.

Try on lots of watches. See what fits your style. Definitely try on a Sub, since that was something you were interested in from the start. If it's not for you, you have at least tried it on and it won't be in the back of your mind that you didn't try or really give one of your 1st choices a chance. In the end, buy what you like, and enjoy it. You'll never please everyone with your watch choice, but the only person you need to please with it is yourself.
Yes, I am the guy with the Bvlgari. For me, there is a big difference between showing off visually vs verbally. I have other watches I am sure people consider flashy. I am aware how watch enthusiasts look down at fashion/jewelry brand watches. I don't really care about stuff like that. I buy what I like and you will never hear me talk down to someone or talk up myself due to the watch we are wearing.

If I chose to buy and wear a watch as a statement, I want the statement to be about my style, not my bank account.

Agreed, the issue is not the watch, but the obnoxious people. I find most Rolex watches visually uninteresting and prefer to wear something less mass produced, less well known. So add in my experiences with obnoxious people wearing Rolex, makes the brand even less appealing to me when choosing what to buy. I have good friends and relatives that own and like Rolex. The brand is just not for me.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As for a new watch...why vintage?

I like the look of vintage watches. (Often prefer vintage for many things, but don't always have the opportunity or ability to buy depending on the item).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads