• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dislike gold immensely, do not own a single gold accessory and never will.
I do not need or want chronographs.
I do not need or want divers.
I do not need or want multiple complications in a 1-watch. Even most date windows, especially cyclops.
I generally dislike (for myself) ostentatious watches, especially brand-hammers.
I do know how I like to dress and what I like in watches; simplicity, refined.

If I could have only one watch, the first thing is I'm throwing out the arbitrary "have to be able to take it into the sea" aspect. I'm not going to reduce ~5250 wearable-hours/year to satisfy some ~50 hours/year event limit, as a determinant.

Then, it would very likely be a Hentschel H1 1877 Platinum Chronometer Werk1 movement with platinum-coated grained dial.

View attachment 1595411

View attachment 1595412

View attachment 1595413

View attachment 1595414

View attachment 1595417
Well it took you a while to get there but you came in with a solid choice. I like the blued hands and the railroad track chapter ring. I have a soft spot for the IWC 40 Portugesier which is a similar species.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s a great old thread on watchuseek where a guy who initially rejected the concept of a GADA watch decided to wear a polar explorer ii exclusively just to try out the concept. He, I think, ended up being at least partially convinced it was a good (or in the case of formal events, passable) choice for most situations.

I think for me, if I could only own one watch, it would be either an oyster perpetual or a date just with oyster bracelet. Interestingly enough, I have no great desire to own those watches today. I like the DJ but prefer jubilee and fluted bezel. And I don’t really have any desire to own an OP at all. But they would work perfectly as an “only“.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Casio databank is a great choice. I'm a big fan of the brand, also because it was my first watch as a kid. I particularly love G-Shock squares, and wear mine frequently (a classic resin, made in Japan model). I think it could even work with black tie in a FU sort of way, like Bond's Milsub did in the early 60s, especially given that it's a watch widely used in the military. Whereas I think none of the modern mechanical "tool" watches work like that any more.

My only reservation about these resin Casios is that they don't age gracefully. Sooner or later you have to replace the resin parts. I should've specified this in the OP: I would prefer a watch that will last decades, accumulating signs of wear, etc. The aged metal G-shock looks great but I find the idea of fake patina horrible, like pre-distressed jeans.

1618683128510.png

I'm considering buying the black regular steel one and getting a jeweller to brush the shiny case. Hopefully over time it will resemble the above. But titanium would be so much better for comfort, so I'll try and hold out for a matte titanium version without the gaudy golden pushers and writing.

Nice. Here's my non G-Shock beat up Casio that I generally wear only if I'm biking or doing heavy farm work:

JWiDnNT.jpg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I wore a one-watch, this was it:

71nF3CtJh5L._AC_UY550_.jpg

The Casio databank is a great choice. I'm a big fan of the brand, also because it was my first watch as a kid. I particularly love G-Shock squares, and wear mine frequently (a classic resin, made in Japan model).

View attachment 1595264

Nice. Here's my non G-Shock beat up Casio that I generally wear only if I'm biking or doing heavy farm work:

JWiDnNT.jpg

Likewise (the cycling, not the farm work, not having a farm to work nor even ride by... ?).

I have had the one on the left for ~20 years, the one on the right ~25. They are amazing. The only thing I have ever had to do besides batteries (the Renata really are good, btw) is a bezel replacement on the older one, very inexpensive on eBay. I bought a new strap at the same time and still have no need to replace it. Incredibly good products.

Casio G-Shock 2163_DW-9050_01.JPG

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dislike gold immensely, do not own a single gold accessory and never will.
I do not need or want chronographs.
I do not need or want divers.
I do not need or want multiple complications in a 1-watch. Even most date windows, especially cyclops.
I generally dislike (for myself) ostentatious watches, especially brand-hammers.
I do know how I like to dress and what I like in watches; simplicity, refined.

If I could have only one watch, the first thing is I'm throwing out the arbitrary "have to be able to take it into the sea" aspect. I'm not going to reduce ~5250 wearable-hours/year to satisfy some ~50 hours/year event limit, as a determinant.

Then, it would very likely be a Hentschel H1 1877 Platinum Chronometer Werk1 movement with platinum-coated grained dial.

View attachment 1595411

View attachment 1595412

View attachment 1595413

View attachment 1595414

View attachment 1595417

Beautiful. Fair enough re: the water issue.

I have to say, while my modernist instincts push me towards quartz, there is something appealing about makers who started producing their own mechanical movements or salvaging vintage ones well into the quartz era. I admire contrarianism, I suppose.

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a modest watch that, in a pinch, could be a one-watch solution. In fact it practically was mine for many years. 5atm, screw-down crown. Iv'e worn it into the sea on a fabric strap many times. Now I hadn't touched it in years.

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 11.55.48.png

I picked it out on a whim as a graduation gift almost 20 years ago from a shop literally around the corner from my parents' place, not knowing anything at all about watches. It's a modified ETA, nothing to write home about. I just recognised the brand because I have a 1920s hinged back YG Eberhard chrono that belonged to my grandfather, and thought it'd be nice to have the same make. I remember my dad (who also knew nothing about watches) wanted to get me an IWC Portofino but I thought it was too expensive. I think I was right about that.

Edit : a better photo from the interwebz

1618740511766.png

Last edited:

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
When I wore a one-watch, this was it:

71nF3CtJh5L._AC_UY550_.jpg

It was on brand for me and spoke to my nostalgia as I owned one as a kid. Also, people loved it and I gave so many away. I used to buy them by the dozen - they were like $8-12 or so - and when someone said they loved my watch I often gave it to them. A few of our close friends still wear them as one watches. Not sure if any of the strangers I gave them to still do. I might give one to @Omega Male to force him to slum it.

I think the question of suitability for different types of events or environments for me is largely about personal aesthetic and choice. Obviously worked fine with casual and sports. I wore mine with suits, black tie, board rooms, etc. I wore them to events with clients with only positive feedback.

From a comfort standpoint it’s sublime. Super light, easily fits under a cuff and the resin strap is awesome.

Of the watches I’ve owned, it’s been easily the most admired. Since I’m not trying to go for the try hard approach to style, this watch was much easier to integrate into my personal aesthetic. If only I could get Fitbit to make one, I would wear it as my one watch today. Sadly since Fitbit stopped offering pocket devices, my one watch has been a Fitbit Charge. Fitness is more important to me than wearing a cool watch and I’m locked into the Fitbit ecosystem since I’ve been using one since 2011. Maybe some day they will make a thin bracelet with the heart rate feature and I can go back to wearing normal watches every day. I probably won’t go back to a one-watch, but if I ever did a big part of me would want it to be the Casio.

Also I think you can use it for bomb making, which is an activity that none of your other one-watches have covered. Not sure @radicaldog thought of that one!
0724351869.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know very much about watches, but my "one watch" collection would be this Rolex Datejust. I inherited it from my father, who bought it in the 1960s shortly after graduating college. My family is from Saigon, and they escaped the Vietnam War, then the killing fields in Cambodia, and then the Iranian Revolution. Each time when fleeing, my dad had this watch with him. One time, my dad got robbed while in the US and someone pointed a shotgun in his face. Right before they approached, however, he had the calmness of mind to slip his watch off his wrist and throw it into the corner (his hands were under a counter and they couldn't see). Some years later, he gave it to me when I turned 30.

IMG_0515.JPG

I love the watch and it's easily the most important material thing I own. However, I only wear it with suits and sport coats. I find it too dressy for my casualwear, which goes between workwear (e.g. vintage Lee trucker with raw denim jeans and an RRL flannel) and some contemporary stuff (e.g. Margiela five-zip). I even find it too dressy for some CM-adjacent casualwear, like stuff from Kaptain Sunshine. Been thinking about buying a Rolex Submariner for casual outfits (mostly workwear and Kaptain Sunshine type stuff).

I have a friend who's really into clothing and watches, and I admire his taste. Sometimes we meet up for dinner and drinks when he's in San Francisco. When I mentioned to him my plan to buy a Rolex Sub, he said that he thinks I should buy a Rolex Explorer (1016) instead. He thinks it suits my personality better. I've been mulling on it.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know very much about watches, but my "one watch" collection would be this Rolex Datejust. I inherited it from my father, who bought it in the 1960s shortly after graduating college. My family is from Saigon, and they escaped the Vietnam War, then the killing fields in Cambodia, and then the Iranian Revolution. Each time when fleeing, my dad had this watch with him. One time, my dad got robbed while in the US and someone pointed a shotgun in his face. Right before they approached, however, he had the calmness of mind to slip his watch off his wrist and throw it into the corner (his hands were under a counter and they couldn't see). Some years later, he gave it to me when I turned 30.

View attachment 1595781

I love the watch and it's easily the most important material thing I own. However, I only wear it with suits and sport coats. I find it too dressy for my casualwear, which goes between workwear (e.g. vintage Lee trucker with raw denim jeans and an RRL flannel) and some contemporary stuff (e.g. Margiela five-zip). I even find it too dressy for some CM-adjacent casualwear, like stuff from Kaptain Sunshine. Been thinking about buying a Rolex Submariner for casual outfits (mostly workwear and Kaptain Sunshine type stuff).

I have a friend who's really into clothing and watches, and I admire his taste. Sometimes we meet up for dinner and drinks when he's in San Francisco. When I mentioned to him my plan to buy a Rolex Sub, he said that he thinks I should buy a Rolex Explorer (1016) instead. He thinks it suits my personality better. I've been mulling on it.

Explorer 1 is excellent (especially now with the updated release...). A pre-maxi case sub could also be your jam...(wears much less bulky and has slightly more elegant proportions, especially on dial with the smaller plots and slimmer hands, while still quintessential sport/casual watch)

Last edited:

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1595781

Rolex is not on my want list, but if I were to buy one, I like the clean look of the older Air Kings. Out of the newer models, I think the grey Rhodium OP looks pretty cool.

ronscuba

Reaction score
This idea of one watch to do it all is fun conversation, but I'd rather have several different watches to fit the occasion, mood and style of what I am doing/wearing. I think the watch industry likes it too.

Then again, maybe I should buy a watch in the "do it all" category since I am missing that in my collection. LOL

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Unfortunately Tarrantino forever ruined for me the stories of watches as family heirlooms passed from father to son

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This idea of one watch to do it all is fun conversation, but I'd rather have several different watches to fit the occasion, mood and style of what I am doing/wearing. I think the watch industry likes it too.

Then again, maybe I should buy a watch in the "do it all" category since I am missing that in my collection. LOL

This is true. For the cost of the Aqua Terra new that I listed, someone could have a pretty nice collection of lower-tier, mid-tier and vintage. My vintage Alpina makes a great dress watch and cost me $450. That leaves another $5250, which can buy you a pretty nice diver, a gmt and a flieger from nice mid-tier producers with probably enough left over for a solid automatic beater watch.

J9C2wb.md.jpg

ronscuba

Reaction score
This is true. For the cost of the Aqua Terra new that I listed, someone could have a pretty nice collection of lower-tier, mid-tier and vintage. My vintage Alpina makes a great dress watch and cost me $450. That leaves another $5250, which can buy you a pretty nice diver, a gmt and a flieger from nice mid-tier producers with probably enough left over for a solid automatic beater watch.

J9C2wb.md.jpg
A watch that I am really going to wear in the ocean, at the beach, hiking, playing sports, etc., the thing is going to get scratched and beat up. A true beater watch and a separate nicer watch is just more practical.

officine

Reaction score

View attachment 1595781

Fantastic watch and wonderful backstory.

I bought the same watch from the same decade a few years ago as my birth year watch to celebrate my 50th. To preserve the bracelet I wear it exclusively on leather straps. For a '66 watch it keeps great time and has no power reserve issues at all.

You should wear yours more often.

1D5654D2-58E1-4E65-95BC-492873B29EF9.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads