• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
might be a fellow apostate, but I also think that the Coke is the best looking GMT-II.
For me it's a toss up between the Coke and the Batman. I never see anyone post Cokes, though, and I can't recall ever seeing one on someone's wrist in the wild.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it's a toss up between the Coke and the Batman. I never see anyone post Cokes, though, and I can't recall ever seeing one on someone's wrist in the wild.
Probably because Rolex hasn't came out with a ceramic Coke unlike the Batman and Pepsi.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I wore a one-watch, this was it:

71nF3CtJh5L._AC_UY550_.jpg

It was on brand for me and spoke to my nostalgia as I owned one as a kid. Also, people loved it and I gave so many away. I used to buy them by the dozen - they were like $8-12 or so - and when someone said they loved my watch I often gave it to them. A few of our close friends still wear them as one watches. Not sure if any of the strangers I gave them to still do. I might give one to @Omega Male to force him to slum it.

I think the question of suitability for different types of events or environments for me is largely about personal aesthetic and choice. Obviously worked fine with casual and sports. I wore mine with suits, black tie, board rooms, etc. I wore them to events with clients with only positive feedback.

From a comfort standpoint it’s sublime. Super light, easily fits under a cuff and the resin strap is awesome.

Of the watches I’ve owned, it’s been easily the most admired. Since I’m not trying to go for the try hard approach to style, this watch was much easier to integrate into my personal aesthetic. If only I could get Fitbit to make one, I would wear it as my one watch today. Sadly since Fitbit stopped offering pocket devices, my one watch has been a Fitbit Charge. Fitness is more important to me than wearing a cool watch and I’m locked into the Fitbit ecosystem since I’ve been using one since 2011. Maybe some day they will make a thin bracelet with the heart rate feature and I can go back to wearing normal watches every day. I probably won’t go back to a one-watch, but if I ever did a big part of me would want it to be the Casio.

Also I think you can use it for bomb making, which is an activity that none of your other one-watches have covered. Not sure @radicaldog thought of that one!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Casio databank is a great choice. I'm a big fan of the brand, also because it was my first watch as a kid. I particularly love G-Shock squares, and wear mine frequently (a classic resin, made in Japan model). I think it could even work with black tie in a FU sort of way, like Bond's Milsub did in the early 60s, especially given that it's a watch widely used in the military. Whereas I think none of the modern mechanical "tool" watches work like that any more.

My only reservation about these resin Casios is that they don't age gracefully. Sooner or later you have to replace the resin parts. I should've specified this in the OP: I would prefer a watch that will last decades, accumulating signs of wear, etc. The aged metal G-shock looks great but I find the idea of fake patina horrible, like pre-distressed jeans.

1618683128510.png

I'm considering buying the black regular steel one and getting a jeweller to brush the shiny case. Hopefully over time it will resemble the above. But titanium would be so much better for comfort, so I'll try and hold out for a matte titanium version without the gaudy golden pushers and writing.

Also I think you can use it for bomb making, which is an activity that none of your other one-watches have covered. Not sure @radicaldog thought of that one!

I think the F-91W is the one most widely used as a bomb timer ;)

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's y'alls thoughts in a 36MM Day-Date for a one-watch? White or yellow?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One watch? Well, I reject the concept, but if pressed it would presently be the Rolex GMT-Master II, ref 126710BLRO and I don't care if anyone thinks it's inauthentic or not. On another day I might nominate the Sky-Dweller ref 326934. Both are tough, rugged watches and I'll wear either with black tie if I feel like it.

I just don't usually feel like it ?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the DD but if I had to choose between those 2 options, it would be yellow with champagne dial.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yellow is classic, but some people aren't comfortable with a yellow gold watch on a yellow gold bracelet. I don't mind it, but for me it would have to have a contrasting dial (rather than champagne, sorry @Texasmade , to break up the color a bit). White is certainly more understated, but if you already have white metal watches, go for something with color. I mostly have white metal watches in my collection, but I have a yellow gold watch and a few rose gold watches. If I've worn a few white metal watches for a several days or even a few weeks, when put on a yg or rg watch I find the change in color rather refreshing. Wishing you luck with your selection. Keep us posted on what you choose.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just that (some) gold is better if you're in black tie. Almost required if you have a metal watch, maybe.
It's very difficult to tell the difference between white gold and stainless steel except from close up. I like RG, but would never wear it with a tuxedo because I like the metal of my watch to match the metal of my cufflinks and studs.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yellow is classic, but some people aren't comfortable with a yellow gold watch on a yellow gold bracelet. I don't mind it, but for me it would have to have a contrasting dial (rather than champagne, sorry @Texasmade , to break up the color a bit). White is certainly more understated, but if you already have white metal watches, go for something with color. I mostly have white metal watches in my collection, but I have a yellow gold watch and a few rose gold watches. If I've worn a few white metal watches for a several days or even a few weeks, when put on a yg or rg watch I find the change in color rather refreshing. Wishing you luck with your selection. Keep us posted on what you choose.
Thanks for your input. The more I think about it the more it becomes a first world problem.

I think I’m leaning Towards a YG with silver sunburst dial with batons.

If I go WG, it’ll be either black or blue dial with factory diamond bezel.

ugh!!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's very difficult to tell the difference between white gold and stainless steel except from close up. I like RG, but would never wear it with a tuxedo because I like the metal of my watch to match the metal of my cufflinks and studs.

Get a set in rose gold, problem solved :wink:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. The more I think about it the more it becomes a first world problem.

I think I’m leaning Towards a YG with silver sunburst dial with batons.

If I go WG, it’ll be either black or blue dial with factory diamond bezel.

ugh!!

You can't go wrong with either version. Both will look great and give you many years of enjoyment.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dislike gold immensely, do not own a single gold accessory and never will.
I do not need or want chronographs.
I do not need or want divers.
I do not need or want multiple complications in a 1-watch. Even most date windows, especially cyclops.
I generally dislike (for myself) ostentatious watches, especially brand-hammers.
I do know how I like to dress and what I like in watches; simplicity, refined.

If I could have only one watch, the first thing is I'm throwing out the arbitrary "have to be able to take it into the sea" aspect. I'm not going to reduce ~5250 wearable-hours/year to satisfy some ~50 hours/year event limit, as a determinant.

Then, it would very likely be a Hentschel H1 1877 Platinum Chronometer Werk1 movement with platinum-coated grained dial.

Hentschel Hamburg_H1 1877 Platino_01.jpg

Hentschel Hamburg_H1 1877 Platino_02.jpg

Hentschel Hamburg_H1 1877 Platino_03.jpg

Hentschel Hamburg_H1 1877 Platino_04.jpg

Hentschel Hamburg_H1 1877 Platino_05.jpg

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OP's extreme spectrum from beach/ocean to black tie is too wide for me to select 1 watch.

My Omega Speedmaster with my various straps/bracelets make it the most versatile watch for me and how I dress. But I would not wear it in the ocean or on the beach. The brown alligator strap makes it more dressy, but still not really fitting for black tie.
It gets easier if you cheat and skip the requirement that it work for diving because you can just wear a dive computer and skip the requirement for it working in black tie by not wearing a watch with formalwear. Then it becomes what watch am I comfortable at the office, running around town, the beach, golf course or a hike in? Much easier gap to fill. The ultra thin or overseas are pretty much perfect in that case (particularly if you get the overseas with the bracelet and spare straps)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics