• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No better or worse than an Explorer I. One reason I like the above all-ceramic design is that it bypasses the steel-gold issue and so works in all sorts of contexts.
Yeah, and the current Aqua Terras have a 41mm diameter, which is certainly large for a dress watch. What do you mean by the "steel-gold issue"?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What will certainly be my second Omega (if I buy a second Omega), an Aqua Terra. While I'll go with a blue dial, I think black or white better match the parameters that you've laid out.

Omega-Seamaster-Aqua-Terra-150m-41mm-Review-11.jpg

omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-150m-22010382002001-l.png

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolex Batman/Pepsi on oyster, Cartier Santos, or Capek Antarctique if just doing one watch.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found the two watch question difficult to answer. I could do one easily or three. One for me is very easy, and Woofa already mentioned it, The Royal Oak Extra-Thin "Jumbo." . I probably almost daily wore this piece for about 5-6 years. It still gets a lot of wear. Its water resistant to 50m. Slim enough to easily fit under a shirt cuff. IMHO looks better with a suit than most of my professional/sport model Rolex watches. Looks great with casual wear. Has a historically interesting and iconic movement...slimmest automatic and the only movement ever used by PP, AP, and VC. Its also the only time only movement they make that gets assembled in the high complications department because of it's intricacies. Some complain there is no quick set for the date, but one can safely cheat the date issue adjusting the time between 10pm and 2 am and doing that repeatedly until the date advances to the date you want. For my lifestyle its pretty close to a one watch for every purpose watch. No, I wouldn't actually go diving with it, or use it for really rough activities...but most times if I am going to do something that might scratch up a watch or not be great for it, I'll take it off anyway even if it's a Rolex (which in my experience can withstand just about anything). I looked at the Nautilus years ago, and I like the 5711 and 5712A/1, but the bracelets felt too flimsy for daily wearing, which was my intended purpose when I was looking at a sports luxury watch. The VC Overeseas available at the time was the second generation, which I never liked the dials on, the size had grown and become too bulky and I though the finish on the RO and Nautilus were better. The current Overseas is a big improvement over the last generation, but the Overseas and Nautilus are pieces I would own in addition to a RO Jumbo, not instead of one.

I've had this watch for nearly 9 years, and it has run flawlessly other than the clasp needed to be replaced. One of the safety clasp buttons lost a screw, and its cover came off (but the watch was never in danger of being lost or falling off). AP replaced the clasp free of charge even thought it was off warranty. They replaced it with a revised clasp that looks the same but no screws that could back out. This watch fits my lifestyle perfectly if I had to live with just one watch...although I'm glad I don't have to do that.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if, as the OP noted, that this watch should be able to do a serviceable job with black tie, that pretty much rules out anything with a rotating bezel and any complications beyond a date window.

My everyday watch--t-shirt and shorts up to a suit--is a Planet Ocean GMT, but I'd never wear it with black tie.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the two watch question difficult to answer. I could do one easily or three. One for me is very easy, and Woofa already mentioned it, The Royal Oak Extra-Thin "Jumbo." . I probably almost daily wore this piece for about 5-6 years. It still gets a lot of wear. Its water resistant to 50m. Slim enough to easily fit under a shirt cuff. IMHO looks better with a suit than most of my professional/sport model Rolex watches. Looks great with casual wear. Has a historically interesting and iconic movement...slimmest automatic and the only movement ever used by PP, AP, and VC. Its also the only time only movement they make that gets assembled in the high complications department because of it's intricacies. Some complain there is no quick set for the date, but one can safely cheat the date issue adjusting the time between 10pm and 2 am and doing that repeatedly until the date advances to the date you want. For my lifestyle its pretty close to a one watch for every purpose watch. No, I wouldn't actually go diving with it, or use it for really rough activities...but most times if I am going to do something that might scratch up a watch or not be great for it, I'll take it off anyway even if it's a Rolex (which in my experience can withstand just about anything). I looked at the Nautilus years ago, and I like the 5711 and 5712A/1, but the bracelets felt too flimsy for daily wearing, which was my intended purpose when I was looking at a sports luxury watch. The VC Overeseas available at the time was the second generation, which I never liked the dials on, the size had grown and become too bulky and I though the finish on the RO and Nautilus were better. The current Overseas is a big improvement over the last generation, but the Overseas and Nautilus are pieces I would own in addition to a RO Jumbo, not instead of one.

I've had this watch for nearly 9 years, and it has run flawlessly other than the clasp needed to be replaced. One of the safety clasp buttons lost a screw, and its cover came off (but the watch was never in danger of being lost or falling off). AP replaced the clasp free of charge even thought it was off warranty. They replaced it with a revised clasp that looks the same but no screws that could back out. This watch fits my lifestyle perfectly if I had to live with just one watch...although I'm glad I don't have to do that.

Have you seen current GM prices of the 15202? It’s insane now. If I were to able to get one in SS, I’d be afraid to wear it.

Last edited:

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
50 m WR is a very basic protection against accidental rain, splashes, maybe some showering or hand washing but better not to try that.
i'd would certainly not attempt even to surface swim with it, especially vigorously
And it most certainly doesn't mean that you can dive 50 m deep with it haha...
...and expect it to work after.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TRIGGER ALERT: BORING CHOICES

My "One-watch" choice is boring, yes, but suits my lifestyle (obliquely): Rolex Datejust 36mm (126234), fluted bezel, silver dial on Jubilee bracelet

IMG_3597.jpg

It skews a bit toward the dressier end of the lifestyle spectrum, but so do I.

Also, for me, perhaps the boring aspects of the watch allow for more flamboyance/playfulness in other aspects of my personal style (at least that's how I approach the watch)?

I think, though, I'm also starting to shift a bit in terms of my personal style choices and might now consider a GMT Master II to be my perfect "One Watch." It skews to the sportier side, but the Jubilee bracelet (I would only want one on a Jubilee) gives the watch enough of a dressy vibe so as to work in almost any situation? I would really like to find a 16710 "Coke" for it's less chunky proportions compared to the present iteration, but only if I could find one on a Jubilee (which has proven very difficult...the hunt continues...!)

Rolex GMT-Master II 'Fat Lady Coke' 16760 Jubilee

Actual Photo

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you seen current GM prices of the 15202? It’s insane now. If I were to able to get one in SA, I’d be afraid to wear it.

Yes, I've seen the GM prices. Although, GM prices on all ROs are a bit insane right now.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TRIGGER ALERT: BORING CHOICES

My "One-watch" choice is boring, yes, but suits my lifestyle: Rolex Datejust 36mm (126234), fluted bezel, silver dial on Jubilee bracelet

View attachment 1595116

It skews a bit toward the dressier end of the lifestyle spectrum, but so do I.

Also, for me, perhaps the boring aspects of the watch allow for more flamboyance/playfulness in other aspects of my personal style (at least that's how I approach the watch)?

I think, though, I'm also starting to shift a bit in terms of my personal style choices and might now consider a GMT Master II to be my perfect "One Watch." It skews to the sportier side, but the Jubilee bracelet (I would only want one on a Jubilee) gives the watch enough of a dressy vibe so as to work in almost any situation? I would really like to find a 16710 "Coke" for it's less chunky proportions compared to the present iteration, but only if I could find one on a Jubilee (which has proven very difficult...the hunt continues...!)

Rolex GMT-Master II 'Fat Lady Coke' 16760 Jubilee'Fat Lady Coke' 16760 Jubilee

Actual Photo

Agree entirely with the DJ fitting the OP's role, which includes up to and including black tie. Being an Omega guy, I went with an AT. I might be a fellow apostate, but I also think that the Coke is the best looking GMT-II.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree entirely with the DJ fitting the OP's role, which includes up to and including black tie. Being an Omega guy, I went with an AT. I might be a fellow apostate, but I also think that the Coke is the best looking GMT-II.

I love Omega and the AT in particular, but they all run just a bit thick for me to choose as a "if I could only have one...". (I'm presently wearing a (speedy 38 co-ax...)

ronscuba

Reaction score
The OP's extreme spectrum from beach/ocean to black tie is too wide for me to select 1 watch.

My Omega Speedmaster with my various straps/bracelets make it the most versatile watch for me and how I dress. But I would not wear it in the ocean or on the beach. The brown alligator strap makes it more dressy, but still not really fitting for black tie.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are many perfect watches out there.....good luck getting them.

We need a thread for actually getting the watch....pics or it didn’t happen!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads