• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delands

Reaction score
Gents,

The wife has decided, in her infinite wisdom, that she would like to gift me a watch for Christmas. Given however, that she is chronologically clueless, she has requested for some assistance in selection of the gift. She has asked for a short (or -long) list of fine timepieces to choose from - final decision will be hers so I guess she can still say that she had some input in the gift.

I'm currently looking for a dressier watch - have enough sports watches for now, but doesn't need to be too dressy. I've been looking at JLC Master Control, IWC Ingenieur, possibly something from Glashutte (Senator or Pano). No chrono, preferably no date but not a deal breaker. Leather strap preferred but steel is fine too. Anything else similar (and preferably similarly priced, I'd love to ask for a PP or ALS but oh well, maybe in another 10 years) I can add to the list?

I've been lurking around here for some time and I thought I'd chime in on this questions since I encountered something similar a couple of months ago.

My fiancée wanted to give me an engagement present in the form of a watch. Since she doesn't know much about watches she asked my input and I set up a long/short list and then visited some ADs with her to try on the watches and see them in the metal.

My requirements were a classic 3-hander with a silver/white dial on a strap. My initial list included the JLC Master Control, JLC Master Ultra Thin, a few Omega's from the Deville line, an IWC Portofino the Zenith Captain central second.

After trying these on, the final short list was between the JLC Master Control and the Zenith, but with the smoked dial. The AD only had the smoked dial in stock to try on and I just really liked it. It has a nice sunburst effect to it and adds something extra to the watch IMO.

Eventually, my fiancée chose the Zenith and I couldn't be happier. It's easy to dress up, but also to wear casually. It has almost become my only watch for the moment.

Here's a picture:

I hope it helps in your decision making process.

Your're very lucky with a wife like you have!

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Planning to buy IWC, struggling with choosing between  Portuguese and pilot!!!! 

Simple solution:
Do you prefer to pretend to be an old-timey merchant or an old-timey Luftwaffe navigator? :D

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@suaviter I am pre-Rolex, but it is inevitable.

@ridethecliche that watch is the darling of the Poor Man's Watch Thread. I can't get past their huge logo myself (and I don't much like 3 o'clock date windows, especially on a dress watch), but really it's a bargain. And shop around, you'll find them very cheap.

@aleksandr lucky you! The MUT Moon would be the TWAT favourite, I like the smaller MUT small seconds more than the Grand 40mm version, and there's a version of Delands' Port Royal with no date that I think is really smart. Just a left-field suggestion: have you looked at RGM?

@digdigdig there is a cheaper way to join the Luftwaffe, with a similar movement and just as much history. So if you have the option, I'd say Portuguese Chrono, despite the mixed reviews above, and get the other one with the change.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like urban legend.

Could be, but I don't entirely doubt it, either. It wouldn't be the most extreme example of splashing around cash ever; I'm certain of that.

I wouldn't even be particularly shocked to see horlogerie-as-hors-d'oeuvre become an actual thing. Maybe some enterprising type could make a production of grinding one of those 175th anniversary releases into Paté Philippe (dibs on the trademark!) at the table, just to make those dining on mere shark-fin soup feel like peasants?

It would also redefine what constitutes a high-end movement. You'd be literally ******** wealth!

Last edited:

velomatt

Reaction score
Yowsa. 45mm case. Must be meant to be worn outside of a space suit. Good thing I'm not an astronaut.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cartier ain't the only transgressor.
No clearly they are not. Looks like its not just an IWC thing, Cartier thing or VC thing...unfortunately it seems like its becoming a Richemont thing...

img1267721636jgh.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yowsa. 45mm case. Must be meant to be worn outside of a space suit. Good thing I'm not an astronaut.
Or maybe its to bring out the Flavor Flav in astronauts and they will be wearing it on a chain around the neck of their space suits
wink.gif

velomatt

Reaction score
No clearly they are not. Looks like its not just an IWC thing, Cartier thing or VC thing...unfortunately it seems like its becoming a Richemont thing...

img1267721636jgh.jpg

From a design perspective, I can see someone saying "we need to devote more surface area of the dial to complications" and this is an easier, less subtle way of doing that. If you're going to have a date window, I too prefer the (relatively) more nuanced window that shows a single date. This trend seems to smack of desperation and "look at me" over utility and elegance.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aleksandr, awesome news. Is there a price point/range you need to be in?

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you nailed it here; one really needs to separate the product from the marketing. I think IWC still makes great watches; in fact, as you have said, one could argue they are in fact making far far better watches today than they did in the past, and kudos to them for becoming a true manufacture and upping their game.
There is no doubt that they make great watches. However, as you have also noted, what has gotten older IWC collectors' & loyalists' nose out of joint is the blatant marketing of IWC as a luxury brand and explicit pandering to the nouveau riche. That rather infamous video posted here by the current IWC CEO was fairly blatant re: his take on IWC becoming a "life style" brand...Again, though, I don't think we should judge a brand by its celebrity ambassadors. For example, I love AP and we own several, yet I'm not a fan of the majority of their Offshore offerings and the celebrity clientele they use to tout their products. If the OP loves the Portuguese Chrono, just go for it. Don't let a few anonymous voices on the interwebz turn you off your path!

It's not only the gloating about the "pricing power of image" that turns me off, but it's also the results of this contempt for customers. I just plain don't trust IWC.

Case in point:

original photo: tonny b on iwc.com/forum

This is the inside of a watch that costs five figures.

The apologists say "big deal, it's a closed back", but display backs are a relatively new thing (and a silly one in most applications) and it's a bit of an insult to the tradition of watchmaking. A decent watch should have something better than a cheaply bead-blast-finished movement. The principle is the same as the Panerai 318, which was another limited edition with corners cut.

Maybe it's a Richemont thing, just like the triple date window (thanks for pointing that out, Dino!).

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did I miss some enthusiastic raging against the triple date window? Darn. Let me just add belatedly that I reallt don't like that feature.

IWC stil makes some great watches. But let's just say that it has been clear to me for a while that they have embarked upon a path which I am disinclined to follow. Too much hype over substance and marketing / branding over product.

As for the pic above.... wow. Apologists will also claim that this represents "functional finishing" or some such justification. But I know a naked emporor when I see one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics