1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hampton

Hampton Distinguished Member

Thanks Dino. It has been hard choosing that's for sure coming up in this price range really makes almost all watches look like a beauty. But the dream was AP, AP i'm getting! That I didn't know about the price, will check that out. I'm off to the store very soon, still morning here [​IMG]

I almost couldn't sleep...

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Yeah, ALS just seem so much more attainable than Patek (well, this is all very relative...), which would probably lead me in that direction. But somehow Patek's designs are just so much more harmonious than ALS. ALS has that Germanic charm, but Patek looks so clean and perfectly proportioned.

3. akatsuki

akatsuki Distinguished Member

Phillipe Dufour has said that ALS finishing is higher quality than PP currently. But I agree that some of their designs are just a bit disproportionate. That being said, if a 1 or a 1815 showed up on my wrist, I would not be complaining.

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Absolutely not! And I think I vastly prefer ALS's level of finishing. But somehow Patek makes such proportionately beautiful dials and cases (I think ALS is lacking in their case design, comparatively, especially when one looks at VC), they almost make it look easy.

Not knocking ALS at all, I think they are my favorite brand, and I love their charm. But when one spends so much on a watch, I think it is important to scrutinize every detail.

5. Hampton

Stitchy I bought the AP, at the office now will share few pics when i'm home [​IMG]

6. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

If you keep it simple, Lange is wonderfully effective. Maybe like Legal Seafood in that respect. The Saxonia (manual or automatic) is my current thought for a real dress gold watch-- not that I need one.

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:slayer: MAZAL TOV!

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Distinguished Member

I keep going back and forth on this - Saxonia or Calatrava 5119J

9. in stitches

well, my grail ALS is certainly more attainable than a patek, but at over 100k, i would not exactly call it attainable for me. :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i hear what you are saying. i think though that that lack of "harmony" is intentional on the ALSs, that is their look. anyhow, they are both unbelievable watches, but i were only to own one, id go patek.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Good luck with the AP shopping. I should have stated the prices I gave were the last prices I was aware of in the US, as of a few weeks ago. If you are outside the US, maybe your prices are different.
    For years, ALS has had a reputation for having a much higher level of finishing than Patek, and still being quite wearable (unlike F.P Journes which have a reputation for poor reliability and constantly being sent for repairs). Personally, the only ALS that speaks to me is the Lange 1. To me, it really has a unique dial layout, and was the first brand to use the Grand Date (I know it was developed by JLC). Also, the case on that was a great size at 38.5mm, large enough to remain current even with the trend for larger watches (although, they have come out with a larger size for those who insist on larger is better). Its a watch that just looks perfect on the wrist. Sadly, I've never really warmed up to the 1815, and I love the movement but not the dial on the Datograph. As for Patek, I find them very hit or miss. Some of their complicated pieces are really beautiful, but many of their simpler pieces (even some of the lesser complications such as the annual calendar watches), I find very stodgy and boring when it comes to their designs...and in many circumstances grossly overpriced.

11. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Congrats Hampton! Which model did you go with? Did you figure out a deal using the correct pricing?
    I'd personally skip ref. 5119. The lugs on it are too small, very weak, and easily damaged. I'd never buy that one. Our local PP AD showed me one that came back after the owner accidentally hit it against a doorway. Broke the freakin lug right off! All they could do is solder it, and it will never be as strong. I'd only buy a Patek where the lug was an intregral part of the case rather than added on like on a 5119...but thats just my 2 cents.

12. in stitches

but it is a beautifully simple and elegant watch.

also, while some of the simpler models are a bit boring, at least in pictures, in person they are always better, i would be more than happy to have one of these annual calendars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sidebar - the ALS watch box with the winder, in one of the links before, was unreal.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

13. Hampton

Thank you all for the help. Very happy with it. Get ready to be bored out with this watch in this tread, 24H posting of my baby :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. in stitches

:bounce2: looks wonderful!! :bounce2:

wear it in good health :)

15. Hampton

Thanks you stitchy and for all your help :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.