1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

You are correct, it is a 1967 1016.

2. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

That's got to be a 1016 on top. This is the watch Ian Fleming wore, and is collectible in part for that reason. I have seen these for sale up to $9000, but I think Dino's estimated range is probably pretty typical.

The next two appear to be 1018's, and early ones based on their hands, although the second 1018 appears a bit older as it doesn't have a Tritium dial (as far as I can tell on iPhone). These are all nice watches IMO. But then I have a 1018 on my wrist right now.

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I was looking into 1016's for a while, and the price really ranges from $4,000 to $9,000, depending on the condition and patination. I have seen some truly spectacular 1016s available. Remember, of course, to buy the seller, not the watch. I think that the 1016 is the only one I would choose of the ones that you listed. It is a spectacular watch, and you likely will not lose any money on it, provided you take good care of it.

4. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

They are both 1002's from 1964 and 1963 respectively. I'd love to get the Explorer, but, at $5,200, it's double what I would like to spend. The 1002's are around $1600 each.

I want one watch that I can wear with both casual and formal dress. Is that too much to ask?

5. Allez Allez

Well in that case I think the 1002 has a 34mm case and so I'd rather go with the 36mm 1016 if you have the cash. The 1018 is also 36mm, for what it's worth, but otherwise looks like the 1002.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I bet he does!
    Yes, I've seen asking prices of 8-9K for really top condition models, with boxes and papers. However, those are few and far between, the bulk of them sell for considerably less than that. When these were originally made no one thought they would be collectible some day, and most of these watches were really used and not babied when people bought them, ....so there are lots of good ones, but the ones in truly exceptional condition are rare. Overall I agree with your assessment.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You have to buy what you are comfortable with in terms of both fit and price. I'm not someone that is into oversized watches, but I would find a 34mm round watch too small, even on my relatively small wrist. I think a 34mm round watch (square or rectangular wear & look larger) might only work on a guy these days if he has a very thin build and is very short. Otherwise, to me it often looks like a guy borrowed his girlfriend's watch. If $5,200 is beyond your budget, work within your means, but keep looking for something thats 36mm and closer to what you want to spend. Perhaps a pre-owned Explorer 1 ref 14270 or its replacement the 114270. Depending on age and condition you should be able to find one for between $3,000-4,000. I prefer the movement and braclet of the 114270 but thats a personal choice and either could provide you with many years of enjoyment. Keep looking until you find the right deal.

8. tricky

tricky Senior member

This is my next one. Will be a perfect compliment to my SubC LV. Down the road I'd also like a polar Explorer ll.

9. Allez Allez

I agree with Dino. I'd start with a budget and work backwards from there in terms of finding your watch. I will add that if you are new to vintage watches, you may want to tread carefully because there are lots of little things that make a watch collectible or not. I say that as a novice in vintage collecting myself. It's amazing to me what real collectors will focus on.

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

No shit. Read the following thread if you want to have a little insight on the craziness that embodies vintage Rolex collection:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/thread/1302703484/Rare+Rolex+6542+in+American+Pan+AM+Museum

11. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Yes, that's why I am avoiding ebay and only going with dealer who have a documented reputation. Fortunately, I work around the corner from HQ Milton in San Francisco.

12. Allez Allez

Well, that's the smart way to do it. I also read a lot before I buy and then hope to hell I don't get burned. Still, it can be hard to tell if a dial has been refinished or not, or whether the hands are original. And then you get into whether a butterfly rotor adds value or not (not I think) and then you see an underline on a dial and people start to whip into a fury. It's totally nuts.

13. Allez Allez

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  14. Kai

Kai Senior member

What breed of dog is this?

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Friends of ours have a cavapoo. Ridiculous name, wonderful dog. I came home one day to see that my daughter had found the cavapoo website and was looking at "available" puppies.

16. Allez Allez

At least half Sasquatch.

17. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

They really have a great disposition. They are energetic, but not painfully so. They are also a great size, friendly, etc. They can be a bit territorial around other dogs though, which is a bit of a pain. At least she does't want a horse.

18. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

19. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Dog? I'm pretty sure that's a bear, dude. [​IMG]

20. llkoolk

llkoolk New Member

Nice watches...I love the Panerai

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.