The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rexzors21

rexzors21 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just bought this watch, arrived today!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I'd be afraid to deal with someone outside the US on a major purchase, especially by wire. It can be a huge headache and expenses if you have to try to track someone down and prosecute them outside of your own state. Trying to do it on an international level would be very expensive, time consuming, and probably result in nothing (hell, its probably cheaper and easier just to buy another watch than to try to get justice overseas).

If you get lots of references and the person checks out it, and you are comfortable... then you still do it at your own risk.

I'd rather be safe than sorry, and so even if there is a good savings to be had overseas, I wouldn't buy a watch site unseen from another country. I'd just be too uncomfortable and be concerned that somehow I'd get screwed. I once bought a watch site unseen. It was definitely not in the condition that was described and it as a bit of a headach to deal with, but at least it was here in the States.

3. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Stitch, did you post a positive review of him on watchnet?

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

To counter-balance that, I bought almost all of my watches from reputable sellers overseas. There are areas of the world where watch companies have made a strong push and where the price arbitrage is really compelling (e.g. SE Asia and Middle East) - which creates grey market opportunities.

Everyone has a different level of aversion for this kind of risk. Even if I feel the risk is very low (from my experience), I understand why some may feel that it's not worth the savings

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i forgot to say, the fact he was in canada made a big difference to me, as opposed to overseas. made me less nervous.

not yet, but i plan on giving him a glowing review wherever i can. class act dude all the way.

true, assuming you know what you are doing.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I think I might feel a little better if it were coming from Canada. I've actually seen some people post that they won't deal with some people in foreign countries.
    You are quite right. Its all about risk aversion. There are people that might be incredibly lucky, save huge amounts, and get a great watch. I just don't think it would be me. I work in a law office and I see what it often takes to collect funds when business deals go bad. It can take years to prove, and even then sometimes it can take years to collect a payment. Hence, if someone gets burned in an overseas transaction they should probably save themselves some time and money and just buy one from an AD rather than try to chase and prosecute some bad guy in a foreign country. Its all about risk aversion. If someone has the stomach for that and it works out, it can be great. If it doesn't work out, it can be a bad feeling knowing your hard earned money is gone.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What would be the reasons for it not to "work out" ? If it's bad faith on the part of the seller, there's a point where overwhelming positive feedback should bring a high level of confidence that the seller will be acting in good faith and will take a return if customer is unhappy - many of these guys have a lot of goodwill embedded in their reputation and go to great length to keep it spotless. If there's a problem with international shipping, then proper insurance should cover that.

8. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I wasn't trying to mess with you stitch-o.

9. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Stitchy, $$ for the AP is saved up so you know! Will buy it next week.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

inobro :)

[​IMG]

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Indeed ;)

12. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

His cousin says hello [​IMG]

13. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

Well done, Sir! Love the color of the leather strap!

14. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

I realize that most WISs feel like you, but I think I'll go against the stream on this one. I like the size, this being about the only >40mm left in my collection. I even think I like the newer hands and dial beter :embar: A strange position for me to take, as I almost always make the vintage or neo-vintage choice.

Speaking of which, WatchCo SM300 on a braided Nato today :slayer:

[​IMG]

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

^ Very nice. If I was looking for a Seamaster that's the one I'd get too - no date?

Also nice strap. From Timefactors? (Still 'currently not available' :( )

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.