• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't say I'm a fan of those big floating numbers...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Can't say I'm a fan of those big floating numbers...

Normally, I wouldn't be that interested either-- and certainly don't like the ones that are really obvious. It happens, though, that they combine to produce the sail number of a boat I'm rather fond of. So if they whisper their identity, that's OK. A discreet monogram.

Somewhere, there's a Credor with a porcelain face that makes an even more subtle hint toward those numerals. For a lot more $$, though.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually wasn't paying close enough attention.
I didn't have the 5134. I had the earlier model, the 5034 with the hobnail finish.
It looked like this (not my photo)

Hi Kai, thanks for clarifying that. It probably explains some of the issues you had. The 5134 has a completely different case and pusher design, than the earlier 5034. Even if you weren't happy with its performance, at least you were able to sell it for more than you paid.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heard back from my AD today. apparently, they lost the panerai line. then i heard from my boss that they also lost rolex and cartier. somebody is ******* with the wrong people.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're following the same strategy as many Richemont and Swatch Group brands: rolling out own boutiques everywhere and de-emphasizing AD in those areas. It's amazing that there wasn't one Panerai boutique in the US six or seven years ago and that there's now 8, including 3 in Florida alone...

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While not mine (or in my price range), I came across a few articles about Hajime Asaoka that were pretty interesting. Being self taught and based in Japan, I wonder if he will be able to break into the market successfully. Maybe some of the more experienced posters in the thread can provide insight/opinions.

http://www.hodinkee.com/hands-on-wi...-end-independent-watchmaking-from-tokyo-japan
http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2012/08/a-new-watch-from-hajime-asaoka-with-16.html

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting design, not bad looking, but a bit too art deco/batman gotham city/futuristic look for me.

as to whether the brand will catch on, only time will tell.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's watch (vintage Seiko chronograph with an alligator strap)

ManCrush

Reaction score
Love the vintage stuff myself. Here's a 1952 solid 18K gold Vulcain. Really love the understated elegance.

vulcain50.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A very reasonable trade if it was an inhouse movement 116520 Daytona. Not a such a good trade if it was Daytona 16520 with Zenith based movement.
Lets see some pix!

I haven't gotten the watch in my possession yet, but will post pics when I do. It was the 116520 Daytona with F serial. The sub wasn't in great shape, prolly 88% by TZ standards, kind of a throw in. It was a blue date I got used ages ago and has probably 2-3 years of actual wrist time on it from me.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah yes, the world of watch hustling. so beautiful.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

heard back from my AD today. apparently, they lost the panerai line. then i heard from my boss that they also lost rolex and cartier. somebody is ******* with the wrong people.

They're following the same strategy as many Richemont and Swatch Group brands: rolling out own boutiques everywhere and de-emphasizing AD in those areas. It's amazing that there wasn't one Panerai boutique in the US six or seven years ago and that there's now 8, including 3 in Florida alone...

Rolex doesn't shut down shops unless it's for a reason, such as grey-market dealing. The Richemont and Swatch groups have definitely been tightening up the supply chain, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads