The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Mark from Plano,

That is a nice Omega. I too wear a vintage (1949) 18kt gold Omega as a daily watch though it's a hand-wind on an elephant strap.

[​IMG]

Thanks LK. Very nice Omega.

My Omega collection has tended to focus on gold automatics. However, if I do buy another it's going to be a hand wind. I'd like to find a nice 30T2 chronometer in good original condition.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

the watch hasn't changed its look since the early 50's... i'm sure it's not going to get "ruined soon enough". the rolex bashing is really getting old.

not sensitive, the original statement was just plain stupid.

Facts speak for themselves. The original Explorer did not have a glossy dial or applied white gold numerals--the current one does. For decades, the dial was matte black and the numerals were simply printed on. I actually don't mind the applied numerals that much, but if Rolex makes changes in the near future consistent with what it's done to its other watches (thicker lugs, 'Rolex' engraved repeatedly along the perimeter of the dial, and polished center links on the bracelet), it will be a big turn off.

If you're going to slut for a brand, at least go through the trouble of knowing its history.

3. iridium7777

iridium7777 Senior member

Facts speak for themselves. The original Explorer did not have a glossy dial or applied white gold numerals--the current one does. For decades, the dial was matte black and the numerals were simply printed on. I actually don't mind the applied numerals that much, but if Rolex makes changes in the near future consistent with what it's done to its other watches (thicker lugs, 'Rolex' engraved repeatedly along the perimeter of the dial, and polished center links on the bracelet), it will be a big turn off.

If you're going to slut for a brand, at least go through the trouble of knowing its history.

nothing can be stagnant forever. these are gradual changes: painted dials to white gold applied, sel, tritium to luminova. it took 50+ years for these changes and the watch still almost looks identical since the inception. it's like someone screaming that the new porsche turbo cab is crap because of all the changes that were made since the 356 roadster.

one thing that you brought up and i agree with you and will dread is when they put the rolexrolex inside the bezel, which is bound to happen.

but otherwise what are you alluding to knowing the history of rolex? to me they're making the same things they were making since the 50's with some fluff thrown in for what they consider current trends.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

nothing can be stagnant forever. these are gradual changes: painted dials to white gold applied, sel, tritium to luminova. it took 50+ years for these changes and the watch still almost looks identical since the inception. it's like someone screaming that the new porsche turbo cab is crap because of all the changes that were made since the 356 roadster.

one thing that you brought up and i agree with you and will dread is when they put the rolexrolex inside the bezel, which is bound to happen.

but otherwise what are you alluding to knowing the history of rolex? to me they're making the same things they were making since the 50's with some fluff thrown in for what they consider current trends.

As I said, I actually like the current iteration just fine, even with the glossy dial and white gold numerals. My points were simply that: (1) the watch has changed from its original iteration, becoming less function-oriented and more luxury-oriented, and (2) it is the impending changes that I really think are intolerable.

It is worth noting that the changes to date have not all been for the sake of better technology (upgrading from tritium to luminova, for example). For example, the white gold numerals are a blatant attempt to make the watch more acceptable to buyers looking for a luxurious status symbol.

5. hitokiri8

hitokiri8 Senior member

Thanks - here's one available at a decent price:

http://www.europeanwatch.com/10260.htm

Awesome choice! Congrats on it
    The 183G was my first PAM as well, but I just upgraded to a 190 (I couldn't resist the gold hands and the JLC movement). Now I need to unload the 183 as its just too similar...

6. iridium7777

iridium7777 Senior member

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

In my opinion, the prettiest Rolex in the current line-up. I'm sure they'll ruin it soon enough.

There's an Airking that also looks nice.

Thanks LK. Very nice Omega.

My Omega collection has tended to focus on gold automatics. However, if I do buy another it's going to be a hand wind. I'd like to find a nice 30T2 chronometer in good original condition.

I like the early Constellations, especially the Constellation De Luxes. Mine is a chronometer grade cal.265, signified by the red star on the dial.

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Thanks - here's one available at a decent price:

http://www.europeanwatch.com/10260.htm

Thanks, Eustace. That is a good price. Surprisingly, I was at my local AD and now they're back to offering 10% max discount, when the most they can give a year ago was 5%. In lieu of that offering last year, I waited it out and just bought a Pam005. I'm now, like SoCal, setting my sights on a GO... or a Portuguese.

9. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

+1 - just beautiful. What is the case size?
    I think its 35mm...neat pam there, too...[​IMG]

Jerome - that's a great looking 1958 automatic Longines that you have here!
    Thanks your collection is great there, Im not that much of a watch guy but this thread really got me interested! (seem to dig esp. the Dornblüth and Lange, Glahütte designs [also all "vintage"] and less the too "Porsche" like Rolexes on eg p.33), I also like the one with your "special modification" because its made in a tasteful and discreet way, instead of sticking some diamonds on it and be king of St. Tropez or something lol...yeah Tuscanys cool..the Panerai brand seems to be very en vogue these days- sometimes its more difficult to "relentlessly" stay true to ones own aesthetic judgment and taste when a thing is overly popular than if its not known at all. [​IMG]...I must say I have also immensly enjoyed the pics made by mustapha of his watches (which were great) and his shirts that would be a bit too flashy and flowery for myself but that I would not hesitate to hang on my wall for their great quality and eccentricity and I mean that in the best sense: true works of art there!...nice "lil" thread this..

10. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

^that was a mouthful.

11. lifersfc

lifersfc Senior member

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Very nice dial on the Omega - is it restored?

13. lifersfc

lifersfc Senior member

Yes, original but restored.

14. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

A pic of my IWC Novecento, which just came back from an overhaul in Schaffhausen on February 29th. This pic was taken on my birthday.

Attachment 9283
    [​IMG]

15. EvEr37

EvEr37 Well-Known Member

Here's a few of mine,

GMT II (black/red), GMT ceramic bezel stainless and 2 tone, PAM 247, PAM 237,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.