• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going for the bond one 2220.80. Would you suggest I take a look at something else, too?

Omega makes a solid product, but they have made a lot of goofy "Limited editions"...if one can can consider making thousands of a limited edition watch, actually limited. I find many of their limited editions cheapen the appeal of their watches. I'd skip the 007 editions and get a nice standard edition Seamaster. Just my 2 cent, but buy what you like.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't actually want the "007" engraved editions, but just the standard blue/blue wave SMP that's been worn in the films. One thing that worries me is that my wrist is 6'', and I don't want the mid-size. Gotta dig through the watch forums!

Last edited:

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I don't actually want the "007" engraved editions, but just the standard blue/blue wave SMP that's been worn in the films. One thing that worries me is that my wrist is 6'', and I don't want the mid-size. Gotta dig through the watch forums!

Seamasters come up frequently on TZ for sale. You should be able to find them for under 2k. Consider a Planet Ocean?

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Quoting myself because this is the nicest watch ever

agreed. such a gorgeous watch. one of my favorite tang buckles as well.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Seamasters come up frequently on TZ for sale. You should be able to find them for under 2k. Consider a Planet Ocean?

I am not a fan of the the Seamaster personally but think the basic 42mm Planet Ocean is a flawless classic diver - everything seems superior to the Seamaster to me: dial design, case, bracelet and movement. I know we all have different tastes but I can't quite see how someone would hold these two watches in his hands and decide to go with the Seamaster.

Definitely skip the 007 if you go Seamaster

Last edited:

JonathanCWalker

Reaction score
Very nice Enjoy! I'm a big AP fan
FB532C8F-A073-4132-912B-B170DE34DF1C-5811-00000232F93EED7F.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitches, you seem to work with watches (?). What are your opinions on an Omega Seamaster as a first better watch?

im not a huge omega dude, but the seamaster is a fine watch. if you like it, go for it. i echo the opinions above on the 007 and other odd special editions. good luck!

agreed. such a gorgeous watch. one of my favorite tang buckles as well.

tehehehe you said tang.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not a fan of the the Seamaster personally but think the basic 42mm Planet Ocean is a flawless classic diver - everything seems superior to the Seamaster to me: dial design, case, bracelet and movement. I know we all have different tastes but I can't quite understand that someone would hold these two watches in his hands and decide to go with the Seamaster.
Definitely skip the 007 if you go Seamaster

The PO is a nice watch, but I believe the original poster said he only has a 6" wrist and seemed concerned he may have to consider a midsize, which I don't think he has to do. I think with a 6" wrist he can do a 40mm watch. If this guy was concerned about his somewhat small wrist and watch size, then I think a Planet Ocean could look and feel far too large on him. He should try each on and then make a decision regarding what he is comfortable wearing.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not go with the Aqua Terra? Is the rotating bezel a necessity? If so I'd go with the SMPs with the sword hands from a few years back. Or a vintage Rolex Sub if it's in the price range. That said I think the big issue for the 42mm PO would be the height of the case as opposed to width. It also looks like Omega decided to put more bling on them to go with the new movements.

I'd think any "special edition" would incite buyer's remorse very quickly, particularly if you wear it to the breakfast table and someone puts out a box of cereal.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino, thats the main reason why I would be concerned with a PO. 41mm seems already big. I tried both at the AD, but felt unsure. Everyone tells me that I'll get used to the larger size, and that the midsize will feel too small very soon.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking through the Omega website, I'm seeing that they're making mid size Seamaster Pros but only with the skeleton hands. You will find those annoying after a while. They used to make one with the sword hands, you might try looking for that one.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today

ne7u6e5y.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not a fan of the the Seamaster personally but think the basic 42mm Planet Ocean is a flawless classic diver - everything seems superior to the Seamaster to me: dial design, case, bracelet and movement. I know we all have different tastes but I can't quite see how someone would hold these two watches in his hands and decide to go with the Seamaster.

I could see going with a SM 300 over a PO

300po.jpg

sm300-08-jpg.434

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well duh... yeah ! :)

That said, even that is a close call if you put aside the collectability aspect and focus on the aesthetics only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads