The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Thanks for the info. I will definitely have to check out your friends site. I was looking at the regular Santos Dumont in white gold. I appreciate your offer to answer any questions that I may have about cartier; which is definitely a brand that I am unfamiliar with when it comes to watches. My father a Piaget dress watch that I love, but I am personally not a fan of a lot of the newer style Piaget models. Congrats on the win at the Tutto Italiano show. I wasn't able to make it this year because I was away, but maybe we can meet up next year.

-LR

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

no doubt you are right. the panerai is what i had wanted. though, i did have designs on the transocean before it presented itself at my feet. i should stick to my guns.

im not sure what the panny would run me. i have not checked my connections yet. retail is 5700, so less than that. :laugh:

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

a wise man once passed this advice to me when i was going on a watch buying spree...the most expensive watch youll ever own is the one you bought to satisfy the craving for the one you really wanted.

4. in stitches

sage words indeed. thanks.

i think i figured it out. try and chisel my boss down, and get both. :devil:

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

A quick way to tell them apart, is that the 15202 Jumbo (which isn't the largest as mentioned above) doesn't come with a seconds hand.

Nice pics Dino.

6. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Stitch,
    What year is the Daytona and how much is your store selling it for? Thanks.

-LR

7. in stitches

pretty sure my boss is keeping that one. if you really want it, feel free to PM me an offer, and ill get you a year and see if he will part with it. :)

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The Santos Dumont in white gold is a beautiful watch. Its a great size, makes a bold statement, and a modern approach to classic Cartier design. It also has a great Piaget movements as its base (which Cartier finishes to its own standards). Piaget's Altiplano line is their most traditional collection and is quite handsome, but maybe not what you are looking for. Yes, maybe we will meet up at a future show.
    +1,000

So true! My friend learned that the hard way. Watching the watch he wanted go from $2,850 to $5,700 before he finally bought it (and in between making watch purchases to temporarily satisfy his desire for his dream watch). With what he lost in depreciation buying and selling other pieces he could easily have bought the watch much sooner had he saved and bought the watch he really wanted.
    Thanks Kaplan. Good point, I completely forgot to mention the Jumbo's lack of a second hand (which I like). It gives it a clean look.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

If the retail is $5,700, and I were you, there is no way I'd buy a Breitling thats $2-3K. Its too big of a chunk of your Panerai funds...keep saving.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

10. in stitches

my dream is to to get them both, and still come in under budget. le sigh.

11. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

Sadly, others in this thread have given sage advice, see below..
    Although out of curiosity, how much is it going for?

True story, I recently acquired a Portuguese chrono when what I really wanted was the 7 day power reserve. Although I got a hell of a good deal on the chrono, so maybe not all is lost, I might be able to see it in a year or two when I can upgrade for not too much a hit.

12. in stitches

dont know yet, but i have gotten a few inquiries. ill kyp when we price it. :)

13. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

yeah stitches, stay focus my man. you going to have that Panerai on your wrist pretty soon.

14. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I didn't know you like Breitlings. I have a really cool 70's style transocean with integrated bracelet and oval subdials with blocky chronograph hands (like the Sinn). Next time you are in ny I will show you. I bought it NOS from the estate of the original Breitling distributor.

15. in stitches

thanks for the support, warren. :)

i am open to all watch makers. there are models i like and dislike from pretty much everyone.

i would love to see your transocean next time we catch up. sounds great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.