The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

The 'Big Ingeniuer', on the other hand, is an awful, awful abomination. It represents everything wrong with IWC today.

The one with the ceramic bezel & horrible dial is also bad.

2. migo

migo Senior member

So many beautiful watches, no money to buy them all. [​IMG]

fixed! So instead, I spent $13 on a Timex wind up. This is the cheapest of cheap pr0n, I suppose. Need a new band for it:

[​IMG]

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

As long as we're talking about nice cheapies; here's one a friend of mine bought in Berlin, it's a big one, 47mm lug-to-lug: [​IMG]

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

fixed! So instead, I spent $13 on a Timex wind up. This is the cheapest of cheap pr0n, I suppose. Need a new band for it:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41...o/IMGP2871.jpg

As an FYI, a number of brands you can find at Kohls and Walmart (eg Armitron & Timex) now have mechanical and automatic watches, a number of them running Seagull/Tianjin movements. The ST17 automatic and the ST19 column wheel chronometre. Bang for the buck is tremendous- especially for teh ST19. Iif you don't mind the brand name, you can get for under US$100 an improved, Venus 175 (iirc) tooling-derived column wheel chrono that has been known to be very accurate and reliable.

Mafoofan, that IWC pic is, uhm, lurid [​IMG] . Nice.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Mafoofan, that IWC pic is, uhm, lurid [​IMG] . Nice.

You weren't there to see what happened afterward.

6. whacked

whacked Senior member

As an FYI, a number of brands you can find at Kohls and Walmart (eg Armitron & Timex) now have mechanical and automatic watches, a number of them running Seagull/Tianjin movements. The ST17 automatic and the ST19 column wheel chronometre. Bang for the buck is tremendous- especially for teh ST19. Iif you don't mind the brand name, you can get for under US$100 an improved, Venus 175 (iirc) tooling-derived column wheel chrono that has been known to be very accurate and reliable.

At Kohls and Walmart? Damn...

7. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior member

I MAY have posted it ages ago. If so, sorry; here it is again for the noubs. I got this off ebay for 80$ 5 years ago. Big honkin 44mm case. Money left over for artwork and the retirement fund.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I kinda like it. Seems inspired by the JLC Polaris but not a knock-off either

9. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

You weren't there to see what happened afterward.
    [​IMG]
    At Kohls and Walmart? Damn...
    Yep. http://forums.watchuseek.com/showpos...3&postcount=13 http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=91035 For example, this one - open heart automatic, date & power reserve. There are many weird faux-German/Swiss brands popping up (eg Auguste Galan) that are actually using pretty good movements from Tianjin, some with rather nice complications. The only challenge can be working out what movement is inside, usually they use the export code rather than movement name.

10. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

I'm so looking fw to going over this thread. Heres my latest watch: I only know Longines anno 1958 automatic; personally I find it cool cause of the seconds display w/o a date..! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Jerome - that's a great looking 1958 automatic Longines that you have here! [​IMG]

12. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior member

I'm so looking fw to going over this thread. Heres my latest watch: I only know Longines anno 1958 automatic; personally I find it cool cause of the seconds display w/o a date..! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice shirt and links. The watch, meh.[​IMG] Two compliment limit.[​IMG]

13. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior member

[​IMG]

This dial looks like the Glashutte 'retro' inspired watch discussed on this thread a few weeks ago. That sucka was a $5K watch.

14. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

Nice shirt and links. The watch, meh.[​IMG] Two compliment limit.[​IMG]
    I like me ol watch there...[​IMG]...[​IMG] (though maybe the cufflinks are worth more...)

15. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/P3070113.jpg

Nice and simple, I like it [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.