The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

[​IMG]

My most likely ersatz 5500 Air King "Explorer". Serial on the case is from the 1980s so probably a redial. Have considers a new dial for it but it looks so nice as is. So I just call it the NAFF E

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

My goodness, that Cartier is fantastic. One of the things that has bothered my with many square [rectangular] watches is the circular movement... It has always seemed out of place to me. But that honestly may be one of the most sublime Tanks I have ever seen.

And thanks for the anecdote Dino, I really never plan on buying a watch with the intent of selling it. Already I seriously doubt I could let this Speedy go [or the MC, although it is definitely the more likely of the two to go on the chopping block].

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

"]

I love that just as it is, thank you very much ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

4. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Regarding the RO. I owned a 15300 for a short time, and while it was a handsome watch I never found the bracelet to be anywhere near comfortable on my wrist. My wrist is pretty thin, and the RO felt like a solid ring, not a watch. The lock was too thick, and everything just too stout. I loved the angles of the case, but comfort wins. An extremely photogenic watch though! My advice is to try this watch on a lot before you buy.

[​IMG]

The Jumbo on the other hand, now that is a comfortable watch :happy: I had the opportunity to buy a 70s RO, but for some reason I never went for it. Very nice on the hand!

Instead I got this, and very happy with my choice :satisfied: The bracelet is like a playful cat´s tail around my wrist. And everything else about it is just about perfect. It´s surely worth every other dollar I paid for it ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks for the kind words about the Tank XL. For me the rectangular movment was a huge selling point. Its quite rare to see them in a watch. I too am not fond of a rectangular watch with a round movement in it. But that is what most companies do because its easier and cheaper for them to pull a smaller round movement off their shelves that is used in another watch they make, rather than to trying to make or source a rectangular movement for a rectangular watch. I came to appreciate form movements when I was looking at VC Historique Carree (which used the elipse shape movement of a JLC Reverso). Glad to hear the Speedy Pro is a keeper...its a classic. If I were you, the only reason to consider letting the JLC go, would be if you found a slightly more complicated one that caught your eye. JLCs are just great watches and a great value!
    I tried on the 15300 and its larger brother the new 15400, its a nice watch, but neither was for me. The Jumbo, as you know is a vastly different watch, and just suited me perfectly. No regrets on that purchase.

The 5712 is really a stunning watch! IMHO, its really the only Nautilus with complications that works. I don't care for the chronograph version, the thickness and pushers make it look clumsy, and I don't care for the subdial within a subdial. The annual calendar version is nice, but I don't really like the apertures on the dial.
    I love the asymetric layout of the subdials on 5712. It makes great use of the dial space while still maintaining classic attributes like the ridged blue/grey dial & stick markers, and the bracelet is beautiful. IMHO the only modern Nautilus models to consider are the 5712 and the 5711 each is a beautiful and elegant sport watch. Enjoy it an thanks for sharing a photo of it.

6. academe

academe Senior member

Lovely Cartier. I think they are hugely underrated by WIS. The shaped movement is really something else; the finishing looks superb, but what else would you expect from Cartier/Piaget?

In my search for an ultra-thin I've cast high and wide. The Piagets are lovely watches as are the various JLCs and the of course the Girard-Perregaux 1966s.

My final four however were the aforementioned AP Jules Audemars, as well as the Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda 1950:

[​IMG]

And the Vacheron Constatin Extra Fine Historique 1968 and Patrimonty Contemporaine (platinum; with the same automatic movement as the AP and Historique 1968):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The AP seem to sit my wrist most naturally and the price was a little less steep than either of the VCs!

7. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

[​IMG]

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

For some reason some of my pictures are changing their orientation when I post them here, but I'm wearing this one today.
    [​IMG]

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

If I sold the JLC MC, it would be to pick up a JLC MC RDM :).

10. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]

What about the Ultra Thin?

11. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

not the same caliber as some of you guys, but love this thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. academe

academe Senior member

[​IMG]

Wore this today chasing around little ones at my son's first birthday party. Figured it would hold-up against knocks and scrapes a bit better than my RO.

13. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

Oh i like this ....a closer pic would be good...
    i wouldn't bother about the originality - the face looks great and you have a more modern movement.
    Nioce!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

the pr0n here is unreal.

@dino - i recall reading a complaint about patek using round movements for their rectangular watches, and they developed a square movement just to put that complaint to bed. your tank is a thing of beauty. i like that my jlc has a square movement, at least it looks that way to me.

15. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

love this. did you get this on ebay a few years back?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.