1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hayward

Hayward Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

My most likely ersatz 5500 Air King "Explorer". Serial on the case is from the 1980s so probably a redial. Have considers a new dial for it but it looks so nice as is. So I just call it the NAFF E

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

My goodness, that Cartier is fantastic. One of the things that has bothered my with many square [rectangular] watches is the circular movement... It has always seemed out of place to me. But that honestly may be one of the most sublime Tanks I have ever seen.

And thanks for the anecdote Dino, I really never plan on buying a watch with the intent of selling it. Already I seriously doubt I could let this Speedy go [or the MC, although it is definitely the more likely of the two to go on the chopping block].

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Distinguished Member

"]

I love that just as it is, thank you very much ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

4. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior Member

Regarding the RO. I owned a 15300 for a short time, and while it was a handsome watch I never found the bracelet to be anywhere near comfortable on my wrist. My wrist is pretty thin, and the RO felt like a solid ring, not a watch. The lock was too thick, and everything just too stout. I loved the angles of the case, but comfort wins. An extremely photogenic watch though! My advice is to try this watch on a lot before you buy.

[​IMG]

The Jumbo on the other hand, now that is a comfortable watch :happy: I had the opportunity to buy a 70s RO, but for some reason I never went for it. Very nice on the hand!

Instead I got this, and very happy with my choice :satisfied: The bracelet is like a playful cat´s tail around my wrist. And everything else about it is just about perfect. It´s surely worth every other dollar I paid for it ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

5. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Thanks for the kind words about the Tank XL. For me the rectangular movment was a huge selling point. Its quite rare to see them in a watch. I too am not fond of a rectangular watch with a round movement in it. But that is what most companies do because its easier and cheaper for them to pull a smaller round movement off their shelves that is used in another watch they make, rather than to trying to make or source a rectangular movement for a rectangular watch. I came to appreciate form movements when I was looking at VC Historique Carree (which used the elipse shape movement of a JLC Reverso). Glad to hear the Speedy Pro is a keeper...its a classic. If I were you, the only reason to consider letting the JLC go, would be if you found a slightly more complicated one that caught your eye. JLCs are just great watches and a great value!
    I tried on the 15300 and its larger brother the new 15400, its a nice watch, but neither was for me. The Jumbo, as you know is a vastly different watch, and just suited me perfectly. No regrets on that purchase.

The 5712 is really a stunning watch! IMHO, its really the only Nautilus with complications that works. I don't care for the chronograph version, the thickness and pushers make it look clumsy, and I don't care for the subdial within a subdial. The annual calendar version is nice, but I don't really like the apertures on the dial.
    I love the asymetric layout of the subdials on 5712. It makes great use of the dial space while still maintaining classic attributes like the ridged blue/grey dial & stick markers, and the bracelet is beautiful. IMHO the only modern Nautilus models to consider are the 5712 and the 5711 each is a beautiful and elegant sport watch. Enjoy it an thanks for sharing a photo of it.

6. academe

academe Distinguished Member

Lovely Cartier. I think they are hugely underrated by WIS. The shaped movement is really something else; the finishing looks superb, but what else would you expect from Cartier/Piaget?

In my search for an ultra-thin I've cast high and wide. The Piagets are lovely watches as are the various JLCs and the of course the Girard-Perregaux 1966s.

My final four however were the aforementioned AP Jules Audemars, as well as the Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda 1950:

[​IMG]

And the Vacheron Constatin Extra Fine Historique 1968 and Patrimonty Contemporaine (platinum; with the same automatic movement as the AP and Historique 1968):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The AP seem to sit my wrist most naturally and the price was a little less steep than either of the VCs!

7. Hampton

Hampton Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

8. dddrees

dddrees Distinguished Member

For some reason some of my pictures are changing their orientation when I post them here, but I'm wearing this one today.
    [​IMG]

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

If I sold the JLC MC, it would be to pick up a JLC MC RDM :).

10. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Distinguished Member

[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]

What about the Ultra Thin?

11. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Distinguished Member

not the same caliber as some of you guys, but love this thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. academe

academe Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Wore this today chasing around little ones at my son's first birthday party. Figured it would hold-up against knocks and scrapes a bit better than my RO.

13. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior Member

Oh i like this ....a closer pic would be good...
    i wouldn't bother about the originality - the face looks great and you have a more modern movement.
    Nioce!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

the pr0n here is unreal.

@dino - i recall reading a complaint about patek using round movements for their rectangular watches, and they developed a square movement just to put that complaint to bed. your tank is a thing of beauty. i like that my jlc has a square movement, at least it looks that way to me.

15. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur

love this. did you get this on ebay a few years back?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.