1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

It IS an emotional hobby.

If you're doing it right.

1 person likes this.
  2. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Stichy: baked goods?! .... talk about emotional...

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

:nodding:

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Agreed- we may be on slightly differnt pages with regard to clothing/shoes. I think you have taken my clothing example perhaps too litterally, and perhaps with clothing you are more of a sensible, functional person. No problem. My point was there are always less expensive alternatives, so why do people spend top dollar for luxury goods? You may do so if it fits your functional untility requirement, but many people I know do it because of an item's beauty, the emotional appeal (as suggested by Keith), the finish and workmanship, the fact that its something you won't see on everyone else (I've heard plenty of Rolex haters say they avoid them because everyone has one), or on some items like a watch, a car, etc it could be its rarity or exclusivity. For many people the purchase of a fine watch is something that goes far beyond its utiltiy. As for use of the word rarity, I used it because I was also speaking of watches, but I agree rarity isn't an issue that comes into play with my clothing.

Yes, I saw your earlier statement. However, there is a difference between movement engineering and the finish on a movement. A company can develop new movement and have an adequate finish, but not necessarily an exceptional finish. In addition, once a watch is in a certain price range, shouldn't one be able to expect that the movement will be very nicely finished, even if its not a necessity? Although you bring up movement engineering relative to dial configuration and case proportions, today movement engineering sadly doesn't come into play very often with regard to dial configuration or case proportions. With the huge watch trend we have seen lots of companies, including some top brands, sticking existing smaller movements into larger cases, which often results in date windows moving inward and complications shifting toward the center of the watch, watch proportions sometimes becoming clunky, and giving one a sense that the main change on the watch was stylistic rather than functional.

I appreciate your point of view...I just think there is room for beauty and workmanship in addition to utility.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Cool photos! Might be the first time I've seen Hamentashen used as a prop when photographing a watch. Nice job [​IMG]

6. in stitches

Thanks, buddy!!

I was hoping soneone would recognize them, lol.

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

So a red box arrived today. Guess what was inside?

[​IMG]

It sure looks good from the front!

[​IMG]

But it also looks crazy sexy from the back!

[​IMG]

But what does it look like on my wrist?

[​IMG]

I couldn't very well get myself a 3970J without getting my wife a little something.

[​IMG]

All in all, it's been a fun week hunting down these pieces. This will most assuredly be my endgame watch, because my bank account for discretionary spending sums up to this:

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed the pics! Thanks as always for everyone's support in answering questions, weighing in on aesthetics and functionality, and enabling (as mimo put it so well) this emotional experience of mine/ours.......

1 person likes this.
  8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Congrats

Stunning, just simply stunning.

Who cares if you have to eat Ramen the rest of the month. LOL

9. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

10. onehotchili

onehotchili Senior member

wow.... beautiful....

congrats!

11. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Congrats. I hope wearing it brings you as much joy as the hunt did.

12. in stitches

holy mackerel. amazing.

13. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Holy hell. Should we just close the thread now? I am in love with that, superb choice!

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

this picture really should have a yarmulke somewhere in it. for authenticity.

16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Just an absolutely amazing watch! [​IMG]Congrats and thanks for letting us share in your excitement! Whats that 4 Pateks...not to be a bad influence, but 3 more and you will have one for each day of the week [​IMG] Just kidding! BTW Congrats on the wife's new time piece also! You both had a great week!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

My mom was an amazing baker and I grew up around them. If you are ever in the area around Purim, let me know. My wife has our family recipe and makes killer Hamentashen! Your PAM in the photo looked pretty tasty too!

18. in stitches

lol, maybe that will be my next prop. btw, i think that pic is my fave of the group.

thanks!

what area is that? feel free to PM me if you like. though i always stay home and have purim with my family, ya nevah know.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

do they travel well? can i kop via PM???

20. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

no frills, if I can add another comment....and really this goes for all of you forumites that have such KILLER watches.

Just a simple, but very *sincere* request: please, for the love of God, wear that motherf*cker.

Just wear it. A lot.

You researched it....deliberated over it.....eventually bought it....and now you must OWN it.

I understand you've got some other awesome pieces, and if you're like me at all, you are always going to have a "rotation"....some things in the watch box are more sporty/casual, others more dressy/formal. Which is entirely appropriate. Spread the love around....it's all good.

But please, please...don't be that guy that just throws that Patek in a safe. Or leaves it in the box all the time, afraid it may catch a slight "swirl" or scuff along the way. Life's just too short.

You were kind enough to share some pictures (which are great) and congratulations, again.... I really mean it.

But don't put baby in a corner.

All of you guys: if you've got a Royal Oak, a Nautlius, a Daytona, one of these awesome vintage Subs that get posted here....what many would consider so-called "grail" pieces....

Yes, take good care of them....I'm sure none of you would be so silly as to be reckless about it....but seriously, WEAR them. Enjoy them...on the wrist! As intended!

G'night.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.