1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i try my best. :)

and +1 to the bold.

2. Coldcava

Coldcava Senior member

I'm late to the party commenting on this, but this might be the single greatest watch post I've seen here. While looking at expensive bling is fun, the connection with your father makes this an even more amazing watch. Appreciate you posting here.

2 people like this.
  3. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Thanks, Coldcava. I was happy to see all the other support for chocsosa's quartz gift.

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thanks, Newcomer - yes, I do have it easy in the sense that my wife appreciates jewelry and watches. Not easy on the wallet, but easy in terms of choosing what to get her for special occasions!

Ah, I tried the Jumbo on. I will try the 15400 next time. Good point about different feel. Yeah, these two have always been head to head for me and since I have a soft spot for Patek the Nautilus won the day.

Funny enough, I passed by Wempe this morning and was greeted by Rudi Albers - who was also wearing a 5711/1A (I think it's been his daily wearer for a few months now). We both confirmed how comfortable the watch sat on our wrists.

5. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Epic gift! Husband of the year! None of us stands a chance now. Beauty-ful JLC. In all aspects, really. The sunburst action is next-level.

6. johanm

johanm Senior member

It's interesting how two watches that serve such similar functions as the Nautilus and RO can evoke such different feelings. To my eye the Nautilus represents sensual/agile/streamlined/classical, and the RO rakish/muscular/precise/modern. Could easily see a collection having room for both.

7. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Owned the 15300 for a while, and while it was a handsome look, it never felt right on my wrist. The Nautilus feels nothing but right. The Jumbo RO might have been better for me, but the Nautilus is just perfect. Oh, and the 5712 > 5711. IMNSHO :embar:

[​IMG]

8. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Gorgeous. The finish on that piece is really something.

9. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Is that an older model?

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very nice.

However I tend to disagree.

5711 > 5712, an 5711 and 15300 are both worth having. IMHO LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  11. mimo

mimo Senior member

I have a question for all you high-rolling collectors out there. I've been admiring your watches, and noting your various fixations with a brand, complication or style. So here's the question - a difficult one, but not impossible:

Imagine you had one watch. You would never have another. Wear it or don't wear it are your only choices. Choose one. Just one. The perfect, versatile, useful, beautiful, watch for life.

12. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

How I feel about it right now? Id have to say a submariner ( 5513 or 1680)

Predictable answer? yes, but there's wisdom in crowds I suppose

13. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Not really a high roller here, but see my post from yesterday for why the 1675 would be my choice.

14. apropos

apropos Senior member

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

+1 for a (no-date) sub. Got one 20+ years ago and I would probably have been fine without adding any of the couple of watches that I have over the last few years.

Granted, none of the ones I have are +10k$, so it'll be interesting to see what the guys with several of those will recommend as a 'one watch'.

16. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:Given my current lifestyle, work/weekends, preferences for aesthetics, workmanship, etc. I'd have to go with the 3940P too. However, if I lived a bit of a sportier lifestyle I suspect the 116520 will come in a very close second.

17. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

The PP is a nice watch no doubt, but I wouldnt feel right wearing it with jeans and a tshirt

18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

fantastic pics and watches. please forward them to me so i may decide what is best. :devil:

1 person likes this.
  19. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:Yes, I get that. Personal preference thing - I never had a problem wearing my old 5119R or 3919J with a shirt and jeans, haha. Now I kind of think the more complicated 3940 fits the jeans/shirt look even better than the "classic Calatravas."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.