The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

i almost exclusively buy used. im a cheap bastard and love the savings.

all of these are VERY different and will wear very different. ya really need to try them all on and get whats most comfortable. or as the old saying goes...buy all 4. ;)

not sure if srs. rolex holds value better than almost any watch ive owned.

actually, i get a ton of comments on my watches. my panerai 232 almost always got a comment every time i wore it. however, i almost never get a comment on any of the rolexes ive owned.

2. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Thanks for replying guys!

I was nervous about posting my question because I was expecting to be ignored for considering the rolex as my first watch. (primarily because of my age)

I do not see anything wrong with the Omega Speedmaster's Tachymetre, but I am currently wearing a Guess WaterPro that has a Tachymetre. Plebeian, I know but I purchased it my first year of university and I was not going to waste my mother's money on the submariner I was drooling over. I am not stating that the Omega Speedmaster is comparable in quality to a Guess watch, but the similarity between the bezels will bother me. :( (this may seem stupid, but I am being honest)

I would like to but I feel weird walking into a watch store and not buying anything. This may have something to do with my last experience at a watch store; I went to try on the IWC 7 day and the rep was not helpful and was being a dick.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  3. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Thanks! It's a happy medium for me something between sporty and dressy. You are correct it's 8 days power reserve.

4. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

SF is what is, a place to seek opinions. Once you have certain opinions you can make your own decision, a lot probably already know what they like the most but seek point of views that might prevent one from making a costly mistake. Of course sometimes you get caught up in SF and think that you need something that you have absolutely no use for at all :)

Well remember, from what i understand SoCal2NYC is quite wealthy, once you have the wealth it is easier to stop caring what other people think since you are financially secure. And of course, with lots of money you do not have to worry about a budget and to bargain to get the most bang for your buck.

5. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

Dont worry about it. Just choose another store. After all this is quite expensive purchase it is not a tie. When you go for a new car you definitely test drive it first :nodding:

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i like hem in the order you listed them.

who cares the retail on your watch v your age. makes no difference as long as you are not screwing yourself financially.

a rolex looks good on a baby, do not to be 40+. classic simple design, not too large, works for anyone. and as a person who works in jewelry resale, and at one time a pawn shop, outside of very high end collectors pieces, NOTHING is as liquid, or holds it value like a rolex.

7. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

8. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

bam. spot on. I remember years ago i was looking into my first rolex...i was 17. A guy I ran into had an old 18K presidential. We shot the shit for a moment and he said the reason he got his was because "I could be anywhere in the world, and if i needed money to get home, i could sell this and get home in any country at any time"

9. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

looksgreat!!! Dual time zones!! haha

10. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

Most people go into these stores don't end up buying right away. I try on a watch several times before making a purchase. If you are looking at larger rolex, might I suggest you try on the new Rolex Explorer 2 rather than the seadweller. The DSSD is not fit for work and looks gigantic on most wrists. Love the new 42mm size and orange accents.

11. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Just shows that poor taste is universal.

12. in stitches

:rolleyes:

13. Cujucuyo

Cujucuyo New Member

Wearing a speedy this lovely, rainy day:

[​IMG]

14. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

I do not share this way of thinking to buy this beauty.

[​IMG]

15. in stitches

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.