1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

This reminds me of my college days when i used to have people saying to me "why do you eat instant noodles when you wear such expensive watches/clothes" to which i used to reply "it is BECAUSE i wear expensive watches/clothes than i HAVE to eat instant noodles" lol

1 person likes this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

im working on that too!

3. in stitches

is that cut because of the movement placement, in which case i guess that is less than awesome, or was it done artistically, in which case i stand by my previous statement that i like it.

also, yeah, that is a pretty penny, looks like its being sold at a premium on the gray market these days.

4. mimo

mimo Senior member

The first time I saw a gold Daytona with a black face, I literally salivated. But, apart from being too expensive for me, it would also require my buying a purple Cadillac and a big hat, and living off the earnings of prostitutes.

However, I think what you said about proportions and the like, the recent discussions of Rolex and reality versus brand image, and the pictures of these beauties, has shown the true path: stainless, white face, beautiful enough to stare at but not totally associated with cuban heels and crack. I love it.

As far as I can tell, that is neither cooking, beef, nor ramen. Japanese chefs are weeping as I write.

A man who wears watches as nice as yours, really should eat better. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Sweet Daytona! The grail of my college years when working at a watch dealer, and what I shelled out my hard earned cash for when I finally could afford it. Ah, the good old days of hype and waiting lists :slayer:

Siffert today :satisfied: (old pic, though)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Fabulous choice, Congrats.

7. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

:inlove:
    Gorgeous watch!

8. ant702

ant702 Senior member

All or nothing, Who cant respect that[​IMG] One of the best photos to date, very clever!

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

Wow so this is an interesting piece. The chronograph pushers are on the right while the crown is on the left, am I seeing that right? I like.

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thanks, man. Good morning, Daytona! Not much style in the mornings, but I suppose the white shirt goes with the white dial.

[​IMG]

11. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

That is called a bullhead. It is a cal. 11 and is one of the earliest automatic chronograph designs (actually, the first, I think) and was the result of a collaboration between four makers: Heuer, Breitling, Buren and Dubois-Depraz

12. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Yes indeed! Heuer Cal 12 movement.

Here is the interesting story of the cal 11, the world's first automatic chronograph movement (though Zenith would like to disagree):

http://www.onthedash.com/articles/Project99PartsOneTwo.pdf

The Cal 11/12/15 are cool to look at, as they are a movement familiy of modular chronographs with a micro rotor. When you open the watch up, you see the chrono module, and the movement can easily be mistaken for a manual movement.

[​IMG]

But the rotor is there, down below :)

[​IMG]

13. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Not quite. This is a bullhead, with the pushers on top of the case:

[​IMG]

14. in stitches

fantastic. and that is a great pic to boot.
    impressive guns.

15. dopey

You are right. So what is it called when the pushers and crown are in that Y configuration?

16. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Hm, not sure actually :)

17. dopey

BTW, are all Autavias cal. 12 or were some the predecessor cal. 11? I have a black dialed one like yours (though it has a rotating diver bezel rather than a tachymeter) and I am not sure which movement is in it.

18. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

The cal 12 was introduced in the Monaco in 1971, so at least the earliest Autavias have the cal 11. Not sure when it was introduced in the Autavia.

19. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

WTF so good!

20. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yes, I've been asking around for where I can find a veterinarian near where I live/work. Because the pythons are looking SICK! Hyuk hyuk.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.