The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Thanks guys. I tried on a number of different straps and the Di-Modell was the only one that really caught my eye.

2. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

3. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

That is good, what is it? Rolex what?

4. MOCKBA

MOCKBA Active Member

Explorer I 36mm

5. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

One of Rolex's best piece IMO

6. JonF

JonF Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]/quote]

That's about a good as it gets IMHO.

7. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

This is awesome.

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

That red NATO on the Explorer really was a great idea. I wish that they had not replaced the 36mm Explorer. Then again, I am of the belief that the Explorer has become progressively worse since its first iteration. Now it just looks confused.

9. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

I am with you. This was a great design (the movement is another story) that ended up ruined by Rolex. The 42mm design is a crime, IMHO.

10. MOCKBA

MOCKBA Active Member

The current iteration of the Explorer I is 39mm; it keeps the same classic looks, but is simply sized up a bit. 42mm would be the Explorer II. I have to say that while too large for my tastes, they did a nice job with the case and lug design.

The real travesty is the newest redesign of the Submariner - it ruined the aestetics of an iconic watch. The larger squared lugs can only be described as horrendous; they give the watch a pseudo-square shape and fail to flow into the bracelet. Taking a look at the new version side by side with a classic piece leaves little doubt to which is more pleasing.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

11. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

is that the strap with the back piece sewn on? or is it the kind that you run through the loops? (does that make any sense??)

wow. fantastic

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

As long as you are happy with it thats what matters. As for it being worn by Stefano Bemer, its nice if that matters to you. Someone else buying or wearing something is rarely a selling point to me.

Looks great! A very classic looking Rolex. I just sold mine, as it hadn't gotten much wrist time in recent years, so it took a bit of the sting out of the price of my last watch purchase. Still when I see photos of the Ex1 I can't help but think what a great looking watch!

As someone that owned the last version of the 36mm Explorer 1, to be honest I don't care for the new 39mm model. To me the dial with the solid white gold numerals looks clumsy and I just don't think the size is an improvement for that model. If someone really needs a time only model at roughly 30-40 mm they could always go with the Milgauss.

As for the new Sub, I don't mind the squared shoulders (same as on the current GMTs). I'll admit its a little bulkier looking but I don't think its too bad. I own a last generation Sub date that I like a lot and I wouldn't mind owning a new Sub. I wouldn't sell the Sub I own to get one, but its still a good looking watch. Personally, I'm not pleased with the Deep Sea Sea Dweller, and my feelings about the new Ex2 are mixed. Both would have benefitted from a slightly wider bracelet. The Ex2 isn't quite as bad since its lugs taper a bit, but both look a bit too large for the bracelet they are on. Its as the Rolex said, he we spent all this money on the case and some other changes, but they ran out of money once they reached the bracelet so they gave people the same bracelet that is on the smaller Sub and GMT. To me, the bracelets for the Deep Sea and Ex2 are not really properly proportioned for the watches they are holding.

13. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor

The back leather is sewn on, making it near impossible to put on a 183.

He is wearing my watch. :)

As for what you buy, its your own perogative. But if in house movement is your thing, here's something you may appreciate.

[​IMG]

14. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

^ that is nice, very nice.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Very nice! Thank you for sharing the photo.

Although, I should point out, I'm not someone who is only interested in watches with inhouse movements. If you look at your earlier post which I think is #13,287 and read the last 2 paragraphs of mine that you quoted...you will see my issue with Panerai has not been their use of outsourced movements, instead it has been with their choice of sources.

I actually have several brands of watches with base movements outsourced from companies such as F.Piguet, JLC, Piaget, and Zenith.

Oh, and thank you for clarifying that he was wearing your watch [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.