• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Guys,

Yes I'm aware of Panerai's history of using outsourced movements.   I'm not against Panerai using outsourced movements, I'm opposed to them using ordinary or rather inexpensive movements, and then charging a lot for their watches.  Please understand that I am not opposed to spending good money on a watch with an outsourced movement (I have a Cartier Tank XL with a Piaget movement and a Rolex Daytona that used a Zenith El Primero as a base).   Outsourced movements have been used in many of the finest brands including Patek, AP, and  VC.  

What I am opposed to is spending a lot of money on a watch say $6K on a Panerai knowing that the same base Unitas movement or ETA movement is sitting in my friend's $700 watch.  If the PAM was say $2K and it used a movement that is found in watches that are $700-$,1000 well its more understandable at the price point.  At more than $5K its a tough pill to swallow.  Also, I've seen the movements in the base PAM, they do some work on it but just not enough to really differentiate it from the the base movement or justify its price.  However, as long as people buy the models that have ordinary movements in them Panerai will continue to use them. 

Also if you read the last sentence of my eariler post I said "My big wish for Panerai is more in house movements or the use of movements from finer companies such as F.Piguet, JLC (since its under the same ownership), maybe Zenith...rather than using Unitas, Valjoux etc."  So I'm not saying they have to use only in house movements, I wish that their outsourced movements were movements that from what are considered finer movement makers and movements that I will not be seeing in $700-$1,000 dollar watches. 

There is nothing wrong with a watch that used an ETA or Valjoux movment.  Afterall, they will get the job done and if you are satisfied with the end product thats all that matters at the end of the day. However, when putting a good some of money into a watch, I'd prefer that it didn't use an ordinary movement once the watch is in a certain price range.  YMMV.

Best regards,
Dino

Good commentary.

But here's a Unitas based Panerai that I treasure.

medium800.jpg

And worn by the late Stefano Bemer while he showed me leather clicking.

medium800.jpg

Last edited:

EMY

Reaction score

Emy's watch is proof you can scratch the hell out of a Rolex if you beat on it. 

The watch is noticeably scratched, but I think the harsh lighting made it even more apparent. In normal lighting, it's not as bad as it looks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads