1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apropos

apropos Senior member

.. Dp

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. apropos

apropos Senior member

There was an Asia only LE version of the navitimer called the navitimer 92, which was a very nice 38mm, they are cheap on the secondary market and easy to service as they use a valjoux 7750 ebauche, might be worth checking out.

Chopard is better known as a jewelry maker, but as mentioned earlier by comrade dino the LUC movements are highly regarded.

There is a standout model in the series, the XPS, which is sensibly sized and imo a better proportioned dress watch than a calatrava.

I mean, just look at that:

[​IMG]

I think it's fair game, if only for the reason that we do judge what people buy, we do think about their reasons for purchasing things anyway, and to even attempt to pretend it doesn't happen is somewhere between silly and naive.

At the very least when we discuss these potential motives we can correct our own false paradigms and gain an alternative pov or insight that we would otherwise never have reached otherwise by ourselves.

At the best a potential regrettable purchase is avoided by someone who realises the error of his ways, so it's a win-win in my books. :)

3. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Your on'a roll, I wasnt as sharp as you @30 (just adding a few cents)! One of those many things has to be stupidity , with maybe a little sales rep. coercion, got me this for 1g,back in 01'! Look the princess has no jewel (my MB pen after washing and 15min. in the dryer)[​IMG]I would have the watch from this brand to show you but,
    [​IMG]

I sold it[​IMG]

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Agree.

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

that is beautiful

im not sure we speaking to the same idea. i was just saying that to assume someone buys a rolex, or any other watch, only as a status symbol, with no indication that is the case, is imo, wrong. so is making any assumption about a person with no indication that your supposition is correct.

im not saying people dont judge people, im not pretending anything. im just saying that i am not a fan of judging someone, when i have nothing leading me that my assumption is right.

:)

6. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Agree here. We can talk about certain watches being stylish and what-not and that's always debatable. As much as some people assert there are rules for taste and style, in the end it's subjective. More to the point, make whatever assumption you want about someone's style as it relates to what they've chosen to wear (watches, suits, shoes..) etc, but I wouldn't assume to judge someone's character based on their material goods. Yes, they've chosen to buy it, but maybe it's because they really like the way it looks or makes them feel.. Doesn't necessarily make them wrong. Choosing to wear a large "blingy" timepiece makes them no more a d**che, than wearing a tiny 'simple' watch makes them an effeminate wannabe hipster. Either conclusion based on a timepiece is speculative at best.

For better or worse how a person acts, talks, and treats others is more indicative of their character IMO.

7. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Right.

9. dbln79

dbln79 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Really learning a lot from this thread!

10. johanm

johanm Senior member

Thanks for the comments guys. Can't blame anyone for not parsing each word of these dense and lengthy posts, but would just like to clarify that I did not mean to condescend Rolex owners, and it was actually apropos who proposed a dichotomy between owners of certain Rolex models vs others. I'm actually a big fan of many Rolex watches (to distinguish from the Rolex brand), and in fact I posted only a couple of weeks ago about how taken I was by a Green Hulk I spotted by chance in the window of a Diamond District storefront. The goal of my posts was to push back on the pro-Rolex arguments based on the brand's superiority to peer brands like IWC, JLC, GO. Basically I was analyzing the Rolex "brand" in the abstract and suggesting that it (i) may not be especially desirable in some contexts and (ii) may actually be in decline in comparison with some of the peer brands. I was embracing the stigma that many people (increasingly?) associate with Rolex and took a shot at giving it a rational articulation. Did not mean to embarrass Rolex owners in any way, but rather to throw another point of view into the mix. I think it's amusing how whenever Rolex is discussed, the given venue invariably develops a groupthink one way or another; Rolex has to be either completely tacky and shameful or it's the only valid choice of a true connoisseur. I do respect the notion of wearing what you want strictly for personal pleasure without worrying about how you are perceived by others. To me, it's not so simple. I'm not under any delusion that I'll make friends or win respect through my choice of clothes and/or watches, but I do view both as an expression of my taste, knowledge, and personality to some degree, and I also try to be careful about associating myself with conspicuous or controversial brands that could attract unwanted judgment. On whether a watch is something that would realistically ever be noticed, I guess we all have to form our own thoughts on that based on our environments and experiences with having our watches noticed. I know from personal experience that I was well aware of both the Rolex brand and the designs of Rolex watches many years before I had any interest or knowledge about any other watches, having heard the name so often referenced in TV/film/music and having been exposed to their ubiquitous magazine/billboard advertising since childhood.

11. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Believe it or not, an average person doesn't know how much a Rolex cost. All they know it's an expensive watch brand. This is why Rolex can get away with their pricing.

12. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Also, I believe a watch doesn't define a person.

EDIT : I just caught this. Right on :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Nice SDR

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Full, unspoilered quote because the pics are nice and because titanium is such a nice match for the Luminor case and because that BP is nicer than the ones that followed :slayer:

15. Flake

Flake Senior member

sandwich + 1950 case= :)

16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Johan,

Sorry about mixing up who made the comment regarding owners based on the type of Rolex they own.

Not sure how what you said would embarrass an owner of a Rolex. I felt no embarrassment based on anything you wrote. Although, I disagree with several of your ideas or the frat boy McMansion theories, I rather enjoyed your writing.

Rolex is a very polarizing brand...people like their watches or they hate them. There is no right or wrong, we all have personal preferences.

Yes, our clothes, watches, cars, etc. do say something about our taste, personality, and style. However, allowing concern about judgment of others to influence our decisons can cause one to make safe but bland choices in both style and life.

As for your awareness of Rolex as brand due to tv/film and advertising, I am sure younger generations are/will be more aware of other brands (than we were at their ages. Other brands have made greater efforts to gain exposure through TV, movies, and brand placement such as Omega in recent Bond films and sponsoring the Olympics, Panerais in the Expendables and Transporter movies, and IWC in The Bourne Legacy, Vanilla Sky, and the new Hawaii 5-0. What younger generations will feel about these brands or Rolex, we will have to wait and see.

I enjoyed reading your perspective. Thanks for sharing some interesting thoughts with us.

17. no frills

no frills Senior member

THAT is a lovely JLC.

18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

I love how the Luminor case looks in titanium!

19. apropos

apropos Senior member

Guys, I apologise if any things I have mentioned have caused any offence. I will keep posts like that to a minimum from now on to preclude causing offense. I really enjoy the flow and exchanges found on this thread and would prefer its ecosystem remain intact! :)

Anyway, I spent some time today with some Parmagiani Fleurier watches... while an incredibly annoying watch salesman literally hovered around me.

I have little experience with PF aside from a vague idea of their existence from the occasional watch ad, the particular AD I was at did not stock them just a year or so ago, yet now there was literally a smorgasbord of Parmagiani watches arrayed out in front of me, probably 30+ watches in a huge display case.

This brand has a somewhat schizophrenic collection, with watches running the gamut from big chunky chronographs which reminded me of some Corums or Hublots, to some rather inelegantly executed tonneaus, to some incredibly elegant simple dress pieces - the "Tonda 1950"s.

One in particular caught my eye - the version with the black dial has a beautiful depth to it which I do not know how to describe. The lugs with their wider inter-lug width were a pleasure to examine, and they avoided a problem I think plagues some modern dress watches - when upsizing the case width the lug width does not follow and I feel that it upsets the proportions somewhat. I prefer a wider lug width, and consider the 20mm with the 36mm Explorer 1 a good combination.

[​IMG]

So clearly there are some independent companies that don't get much exposure on this thread. PP aside, does anyone actually own anything from a (non-PP) independent that is a recased ebauche?

I know GDL has his Dornblueths, which I exclude from the aforementioned movement recasers category because of their beautiful Ship of Theseus Unitas movements - and with the recent release of their first in-house movement (that actually introduces some innovations... i.e. not just reinventing the wheel!) I now believe them to be truly credible watchmakers in every sense of the word. And I recall another member once launched us into a discussion about Sarpaneva... which are beautiful watches but alas not to my taste.

So, again - PP aside, does anyone actually own anything from (lesser known) independents that are not movement finishers/recasers?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  20. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Normally I'm not a fan of Parmagiani, mostly because their designs don't speak to me, but this watch here is very nice. I do hear great things about their case finishing and quality as a whole though..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.