1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flake

Flake Senior member

And I bet I know exactly which Rolex dealer in Tampa that was, too. I went to that shop once. Once. The nick-knack comment is a dead giveaway.

2. Flake

Flake Senior member

Or the high end watch dealer in Tampa,who literally wrote a book on the history of Rolex, but had a fake Panerai for sale A couple years back, and didn't realize it was a fake...

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

That Panerai is growing on me.

=====================================================

The part below turned the story teller into the douche.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  5. tricky

tricky Senior member

The Pam is a top contender for my next watch. I love the design and the versatility of the straps. And the price point is decent.

My only watches now are a Sub LV and a Stowa Antea 365 - both purchased new. But I'm thinking second hand if I were to choose the Pam.

Other wish list watches are IWC Portuguese and JLC.

I learn a lot from everyone in this thread!

6. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

7. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Great pair. 5002 and 176?

8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

great pics. deets on sweater and where to kop?

9. in stitches

that is not the 176. the 176 is a 2 handed watch.

10. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Can anyone think of a watch similar to this IWC "Vintage" Portofino but smaller (this one is 46mm)? 18K, round, moonphase at the top, classic look:

[​IMG]

11. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

12. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Understood - many thanks. And yes, same here.

Indeed; same here.

13. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Tell me about it, :foo:. I have a vintage IWC cal 89 (I'm guessing it's basically the portofino from the 1960s), and it's about 5mm smaller than the current Portofino. I like Breitling as well; I have 1 currently and about to get another one. They are some of the smallest men's Breitlings at 41mm and 42mm, yet they are still quite large. If they were chrono, they'd be larger/taller. Hopefully these brands will start dialing back the size of the watches. I think I like about 38-40mm.

14. gdl203

502 and 118

15. gdl203

From defunct Nom de Guerre. Circa 2008-09, IIRC

16. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quick hello to you all - thanks to Dino944 and johanm for an always engaging and respectful discussion. Always learn something new from reading this thread.

Are you guys watching the Super Bowl? I am busy with business meetings in the West Coast from today through Tuesday, but for some mysterious reason all meetings ceased when the games began airing about an hour ago. :)

In the meantime, here's my 3940P keeping me company while I'm away from my family:

[​IMG]

I know, it's getting a bit staid since I keep posting pics of just the same watches... BUT! Stitchy and Belligero, I may have interesting new pictures to share about a new addition to my small collection by Wednesday. Shout out to Dino944 for helping affirm my choice - I pulled the gun last Friday and am expecting a delivery by Tuesday evening... :)

I wonder if I fall into apropos' category of jeweled DD or leopard print Daytona owners, or Explorer I and no-date Subs.....

Interesting side note: guy behind me on the plane clearly a WIS. Notices my 3940P and holds forth on his collection (he was wearing a white dial AP RO and says he has a bunch of other watches; said he almost pulled the trigger on a Patek WG 5035 but got the RO instead). Nice guy, seemed like he wanted someone to talk to. He also liked my 3940P.

17. in stitches

^^ look forward to hearing about any additions. yup, watching the SB ^^

sidebar - that is a beautiful watch.

sucks for me. looks great.

18. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Can anyone tell me more about Chopard? Im trying to help my friend decide between 3 stainless steel models; a Cartier, a IWC, and a Chopard. Ive always felt Chopard was more of a jewelry maker more than a watchmaker and is almost a whole tier lower than JLC or Cartier, is this a misconception?

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Frills,

Hope your business trip is going well. Always a pleasure to see your stunning 3940P! Your photo shows some nice detail and depth to the subdials within subdials...I love it!

Congrats! I look forward to seeing some photos of your latest edition soon! Not sure if your wife will continue to let you chat with me if I had some influence on you moving forward with an addition to your collection. Last time I had some influence on a friend, he bought a new Porsche...his wife wasn't so happy with me[​IMG]

Yea...I have no idea which of Johan's catagories I fall into as a Rolex owner. I'm sure I can live with whichever catagory I fall into.

Hopefully, meeting a fellow WIS made the travel time out there pass by more quickly. Usually, I just get crazy people seated next to me on planes, you lucked out. Congrats on your new addition, looking forward to seeing pix soon.

20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Jeff,

It really depends on which Chopard your friend is considering. If its just one of their more basic Mille Miglia, well its fine but not great (there maye be some form using their better LUC movment). On the other hand some of their watches, like the St. Mortiz (not sure if still in production), which looks a bit like their version of a Nautilus or RO, and used a JLC movement. Then there are their finest watches that use their own LUC movments. Those are really very high quality watches. I would put the LUC watches in terms of quality on par with JLC or maybe GP. Personally, I've never been that drawn to their dress watches...I'd rather have a Reverso, some form of Piaget Altiplano, or a Cartier Rotonde, Tortue, or LC Tank XL...but thats just my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.