1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Wow, that is really beautiful! It is funny, I have come to love my inexpensive Seikos and Orients as much as I love my Omega and my now-departed (although soon to be... returned) JLC. Orient really looks like they knocked it out of the park with that one. A few of my friends have become interested in watches lately, and I have been pointing them towards the Bambinos. Automatic movement, 'in-house,' nice styling, good size... Really well done! I thought about maybe the Tissot Visodate, but I think I like the Bambino better.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

True, they could go the SubC/GMT route with the thicker lugs, but Im not sure it will work as well as on the Sub/GMT as they have a chunkier profile with their rotating bezels. If they go the Explorer II route with a true 42 mm case, they will end up with subdials too close to the center of the dial. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Very nice photo of your Daytona! I didn't know you had one too. Great choice.

4. tricky

tricky Senior member

Thanks! And good eye - those are Daltons.

5. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Thank you sir.

I am anxious to see whether Rolex decides to go with a full upsize as well.

Newcomer: nice Monster. Everybody should have one!

Great value for a (relative) pittance.

6. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I love this thread; it contains the best watch discussion I've ever seen on the internet. Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

1 person likes this.
  7. Texx

Texx Member

Suggestion for the best place to acquire one?

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

What a difference that lug thickness and contour makes. That looks like a totally different piece compared to even the 39mm/40mm Explorer II with the somewhat more contoured lugs.

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Go to Orientwatchusa.com. Use the 30% off code... Profit!

You get some free Orient loot as well.

10. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Indeed. Compared to the previous 16610 model of the Submariner, the overall thickness and bezel diameter remained identical, and the case diameter increased 0.9 mm on the new 116610 model. The weight increased 135 g to 160 g, but the lug length tells the real story: 46.7 mm on the 16610 compared to 50.5 mm on the 116610. Those massive lugs really do make it a different watch.

11. ant702

ant702 Senior member

[​IMG]

12. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Looking back when I bought this watch I didnt think about the price much then! I got it as soon as it was available! Now I dont think it was worth 4G's, but I may be wrong! This reads like a keeper for you, congrats[​IMG]

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

The thicker case, maxi dial with larger plots and larger hands also give it that bigger look as well.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  14. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

my only issue with some of the larger cased/lugged rolexes, is that i feel the transition from case/lugs to bracelet is a bit harsh, not enough gentle taper. but that is really a nitpick.

15. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Yes, fat hands and markers definitely contribute to the chunkier look.

The Daytona, on the other hand, looks quite a bit more svelte than their other current 40 mm watches, to the point where I could swear the case diameter was a bit smaller.

(photos again for reference)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So — being the consummate nerd that I am — I measured the actual size of the watch.

Surprise! In reality, it's just over 38.5 mm at the bezel, which is the widest part of the case assembly excluding the crown guards and lugs. I'm really pleased about that since the classic look with modern features is what drew me to it in the first place; I think it's cool that it's closer to the original 37-ish mm models, and it makes stuffing a three-day power reserve in there all the more impressive.

Any ideas as to why it's referred to as 40 mm by Rolex and everyone else, though?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  16. no frills

no frills Senior member

That's excellent verification work. Glad to know that the Daytona is on the "svelte" side (my own personal preference). I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that the quoted measurement may be for its widest point, including the crown/guards. My Nautilus wears very thin/light but is supposedly 43mm... from ear to ear. Otherwise it's 38mm diagonal, I believe.

17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Quote:
    Maybe the bezel isn't actualy the widest part? I'm not wearing my Daytona at the moment, but I kind of remember the side of the case is very rounded, not flat as on a Sub/GMT, and I think the case side at its widest point actually protrudes slightly beyond the bezel, while on the Sub/GMT the bezel protrudes a bit beyond the case (which has flat sides).

Take a look at the photos below. The watch appears to rest on the case side (as evidenced by the small shadow between the bezel and the book particularly under the number 80 on the bezel). If the bezel was the widest part of the watch, wider than the case, I would think it would make actual contact with the book.

[​IMG]

Now look at this photo. Not quite the same angle in the photo, but it appears to be resting on its bezel.
    [​IMG]

One more example of a Daytona where the bezel does not appear to be touching the book thats under it.
    [​IMG]

Not 100% conclusive, but maybe those of you wearing a Daytona today can take a closer look at the sides of the case and or take some photos.

1 person likes this.
  18. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

It's because it's tilted. When held 90° to a straight edge, you can see that the bezel is exactly the same diameter as the case. No camera with me at the moment, unfortunately, but I can get some science-ey photos using a caliper later. I mentioned my nerd-ish tendencies earlier, yes?

1 person likes this.
  19. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I would agree.

The bezel on the Sub does in fact stick out further from it's case however.

20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I thought about the tilt. I look forward to your results with calipers. Also, maybe you could take a photo from the side with bracelet hanging down, and dial facing upward so we can see a profile of the edge of the bezel and where it sits in relation to the case side (without the crown/pushers).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.