1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

As I have mentioned beofre, I have had real problems with my old bumper-wind automatic Omega becoming magnetized. It was off by several minutes a day. My watchmaker blamed it on the fact that I kept my cellphone in the left hip pocket of my suitcoat, so it was frequently near my watch (he says cell-phones and metal detectors are the most common culprits). Once my watch was demagneitzed it worked fine (though not as perfectly as when first serviced) and changing my cellphone habits has eliminate the problem for now. I suspect the vintage of the watch makes it more vulnerable than modern movements.

2. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

You think even that many?

A lot of the entry-level watches from the major (or best advertised brands) have dive bezels so they sell a ton of them.

I've worn a Planet Ocean or Colt GMT maybe twice - more just to say I did. Worrying about a watch sliding off is the last thing I want to be thinking about on the rare occasions that I get in the water.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I've worn modern Rolex watches (Sub, Explorer 2, and Daytona) through lots of metal detectors and had them near cell phones and never hand any issues with magnetization...so I suspect as you have mentioned your vintage watch is more vulnerable.

4. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I get what you mean, but I don't mind watches being created to some very specific needs, like a Seadweller or Milgauss, even though I'll never have a need for their specific capabilities.

What I'm not a fan of, is when they take a watch like the Ingenieur and craps all over it's raison d'être and slaps on a display back. That's just sad. Then they might as well just make dive watches with bezels that doesn't turn and chronos with nonfunctioning sub dials.

For the same reason I'm not a fan of display backs on Speedy 'moonwatches' or on my own Luminor, though those aren't as :facepalm:'y as the Inges. IMHO.

5. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

I had a pretty good Nautilus stiffy going until you all brought me down with the magnetism talk. :D

6. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Senior member

Is this for real? Even w/o the lightning second hand you clearly see where this is (would be) coming from. Sorry Omega, your goal seems to be to rival Rolex, but with these blunt moves (Vesper's speech anyone?) you rather help your rival than anything else...

7. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

8. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Then you haven't seen many watches

9. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I think if both hands were arrows and the second a solid yellow it would look pretty good. Perhaps a little to close to the AT but still, not ugly. Does the internal bezel rotate? I hope so.

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Negative on the rotating bezel.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  11. FredericChopin

FredericChopin New Member

Two of my watches: a Tudor that I bought when I was ten years old (I mowed some serious lawns, no kidding) and my great grandfathers gold Elgin from the 1910's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

They certainly seem to be following some of Rolex's moves. Rolex comes out with the Sub LV with green bezel, they came out with the Planet Ocean with orange bezel. The famous "Paul Newman" Daytonas have become highly sought after and valuable, so Omega releases Speedmasters with dials similar to that of the old PN Daytonas (even a red dial schumacher edition that looks like the ultra rare red PN dial Daytonas). Rolex releases a revised antimagnetic Milguass with orange lightning bolt hand a few years ago, now Omega releases a new antimagnetic AT with dotted yellow second hand and with a bracelet that looks like it was taken right off of a Milgauss.

Omega makes some very good watches. I think they should make watches that show their own DNA and heritage rather than mimicking Rolex on occasion.

1 person likes this.
  13. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Now that we're back from commercial, this is gorgeous.

14. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Exactement.

"Do you", Omega, and just let Rolex be Rolex.

The watch game is big enough for both of ya.

15. evolved

evolved Senior member

You need to get out more, then, lol.

16. FredericChopin

FredericChopin New Member

Thanks. It has a lot of sentimental value. My great grandad was a tailor, and my grandpa is passing down all of his nice stuff to me. I now own his collection of cufflinks, that watch, his white gold bulova (with two diamonds!) from the 20's, and his hunting rifle. I'm a lucky guy.

17. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I thought the Bond-Vesper dialogue on the train was one of the best parts of the movie.

18. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Those are lined[​IMG]

19. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Thanks for that history lesson, much appreciated [​IMG]

20. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Calm down Mr. T , You know these guys will show them again, in the meantime, read&enjoy[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.