• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdolina

Reaction score
We don't have a very extensive watch collection, but here's our current "family" portrait. Quality above quantity I suppose.
shog[1].gif

From L-R: My wife's AP Jules Audemars Calibre 3090 Manufacture Hand-Wound; AP Royal Oak Dualtime Calibre 2329/2846 Self-Winding; and Omega Plant Ocean 42 mm Calibre 2500

Nice set, but incomplete. you missed the men dress watch and women sport watch (at least).

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the Jumbo very much. I think if I got another RO I'd go with one without any of the complications. Something about the simplicity appeals to me, though it would be a tough choice between the Jumbo and one of the new three-hand 41 mm's. Would love to see pictures of yours when you get it; definitely worth the wait. :D I think I waited something like 6-months for my RO Dualtime!

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice set, but incomplete. you missed the men dress watch and women sport watch (at least).

I'm very aware of the gaps in my collection. Unfortunately I also have limited funds and also have other sartorial priorities, including bunches of London Lounge cloth waiting to be made-up. :confused:

To the watch list, I would also add (roughly in order of priority):

round dress watch
square, rectangular or tonneau shaped dress watch
moon phase
chronograph
ultra-thin
minute repeater
annual calendar or perpetual calendar

..And if I ever win the lottery, a grand complication (e.g. JLC Duometre or Hybris Mechanica).

I'll probably never get there, but one can always dream! :D

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Jumbo very much. I think if I got another RO I'd go with one without any of the complications. Something about the simplicity appeals to me, though it would be a tough choice between the Jumbo and one of the new three-hand 41 mm's. Would love to see pictures of yours when you get it; definitely worth the wait.
biggrin.gif
I think I waited something like 6-months for my RO Dualtime!
I looked at the new 41mm 3 hand time only RO (ref 15400), and its a nice watch, but the Jumbo is just a bit more special IMHO. in the 15400 I did not like that the display back shows that they transplated a movement from a smaller watch into a larger watch. Its the same size saphire crystal to see the movement but now there is a lot more metal around it. When I saw the new Jumbo, which is essentially a tribute to the original RO with the AP at 6 and the smaller original style Clou De Paris on the dial, I knew that was the one for me. I have seen photos of their new 41mm chronograph which looks nice, and I think the made the right decision in using a solid back on that one so its not visible that this same movement was in the previous smaller chronograph. I will be sure to post a photo once the Jumbo arrives.

NonServiam

Reaction score

Very nice vintage GMT!  From this angle it looks like it has the really small luminous markers surrounded by gold, is it a 1675?

Almost :) This is a 16758, the first gold GMT with a sapphire crystal. Which, still equipped with the nipple dial you observe, is known as a transitional Rolex model. For steel models this would mean a matte dial and sapphire...

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
acadame and NS - beautiful watches gents. thanks for sharing.

there maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay be a watch in my near future. not sure yet. pray for me, boys.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

acadame and NS - beautiful watches gents. thanks for sharing.
there maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay be a watch in my near future. not sure yet. pray for me, boys.

looking forward to tomorrow pics :D :slayer:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for good Nato/Zulu, or rubber straps? Need something that can hold up to daily wear and sweat, and be able to be cleaned off. Danke.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for good Nato/Zulu, or rubber straps? Need something that can hold up to daily wear and sweat, and be able to be cleaned off. Danke.

The $10 jobs you can get from eBay are actually pretty good. I have a few from this seller and they have held up even through a little bit of war.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

looking forward to tomorrow pics :D :slayer:

:laugh: oh i wish. would be a few months off.

i hope the wife does not notice, if decide to go through with it. :devil:

Edgein

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of Nato straps, except on low end watches. To put one on a Rolex is wrong in so many ways.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Not a huge fan of Nato straps, except on low end watches.  To put one on a Rolex is wrong in so many ways.

Its going to be on a cheap Seiko, so as to not offend your delicate sensibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads